Honeycomb Design Jar

This is an update. I actually posted this in September of 2008, but hadn’t included the pattern or instructions. I’ve received a couple of requests, so I’ve decided just to go ahead and add the pattern and tutorial. Would love to hear if you made it!

Original post from 2008: Just a quickie post this morning to show off a design I did several years ago. The bees are dying off and driving me crazy on my balcony, so I thought of this as we close out summer. LOL Hope to post more soon:

Honeycomb and Bees Jar
design by Amanda Formaro

printable version of instructions
download or print the pattern

Supply List
liner and shader brushes
Micron black craft pen
acrylic matte spray sealer
old toothbrush

Paint Colors
(all paint colors are Delta Ceramcoat)

white
antique white
crocus yellow
antique gold
pink quartz
bouquet pink
bonnie blue
navy blue
leaf green
dark forest green
yellow
black
autumn brown

Tip: if you are painting on jars, you can prepare your surface by washing the jar, completely removing all labels and glue, then giving the jar a rinse in white vinegar or rubbing alcohol. Allow the first coat of base coat to dry COMPLETELY before attempting a second coat.

Instructions

Base coat surface with 2-3 coats of white.

trace pattern onto base-coated surface.

Paint entire honeycomb with antique white. Float all edges with crocus yellow, then fine float with antique gold.

Paint honeycomb opening with autumn brown. Darken some autumn brown with a little black and shade opening with the mixture. Paint small highlight line with thinned white.

From left to right, paint the first two flowers with pink quartz, float edges with bouquet pink. Paint third flower with bonnie blue and float edges with navy blue. Paint flower centers with crocus yellow.

Paint the grass blades with leaf green, shade edges with dark forest green.

Paint the bees’ bodies with yellow and the wings with white. Use the black Micron craft pen to outline wings and draw on bees’ stripes. Use a small criss-cross pattern on the wings. Use the pen to draw dashes for the flight trails.

Splatter completed painting with white and white black using an old toothbrush.

Sign your work! Spray the completed project with 2-3 coats of acrylic spray sealer (matte) according to directions on can.

If you would like to see other crafty creations, visit the following craft carnivals that I participate in!

Comments

1. Karen says

Amanda this is just adorable too….you are just the most creative person. Now I see why you have the business you do.
    Karen

2. Cinzia says

Hello Amanda, I’ve had your name from my friend Mary!
    This work is wonderful!!! Sorry for my bad english!
    Can I write your blog address in my blog?
    Thank you very much!
    Kisses,
    Cinzia

3. Amanda says

Hi Cinzia! Your English is very good! Tell Mary thank you for sending you over and yes, you may certainly add my blog to your blog. Thanks! I’m heading over to check yours out now :)

4. Amanda says

Hi Ro! Just found my pattern in my craft room and will update this craft and repost it shortly with all the instructions.

5. Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something says

cute as can be! great job! I hopped over from Fun to Craft and am so happy that I did. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week! until later…

6. Kristi Flanagan says

That is so cute! I'd like to invite you to come plant your creative seed at my new blog party on Fridays "Plant a Punkin Seed at Punkin Seed Productions".

Hope to see you there!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

7. Lanie Ree says

Whoa, this is adorable! Very nicely done. Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy, as well!

8. Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says

That's so cute! I wish I could paint! What kind of spray sealer do you use? Is it the same as clear spray paint?

Thanks again for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

9. Lori says

Very cute.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another wonderful party!!

Please stop by next week I am having guest over each day and I would love for you to tell them HI!