Clock Redo

This is a very simple revamp I did of a clock we’ve actually had for years. Our design tastes have changed over time, and while the clock is still in excellent shape, it just doesn’t blend with my decor any longer. A can of black satin spray paint can really work wonders!

This took almost no time at all. There are only a few steps involved. Here’s the before:

First, I covered the glass and the brass outer ring with a round piece of craft paper taped in place with painter’s tape. I tucked the edges of the tape down into the edge of the brass ring so that I would be sure to get all of the wood when I painted.

Next, I sanded the surface of the wood as there is definitely a finish over the top. Nothing fancy, just a quick sanding all over. Then I sprayed on a couple of coats of black paint and let them dry.

Afterward I distressed it by sanding off the black paint randomly on the edges.

Then I sprayed it with a clear glaze and let it dry.

This clock is part of my wall redo I will be revealing this week, I finally finished it today! :) My black pine cone wreath is also part of the new wall.

Comments

1. Melissa says

We've got clocks that are similar – I should probably do that to them…yours turned out really nice.

2. Karey Ellen says

I just did this with an old frame a few days ago. Isn't it amazing how some black paint can make things look new again?!

I can't wait to see the redo wall!! :)

3. Laura Ingalls Gunn says

What a fantastic project! A truly neat metamorphosis.

It took 23 years to complete my most recent project. Come take a peek.

4. Tami says

Very nice, Amanda! It looks like you and I are both decorating with black now. I still have a bookcase and desk to go.

5. CIELO says

What a pretty home you've created here! And I love how your clock turned out….and everything else… you are very talented… thanks for visiting the house in the roses and for adding us here, I have now added a title to my post (forgot to do it ;)) and you can link….

Nice meeting you

cielo

6. Stephanie Lynn says

Great transformation! Love that you left the brass ring. The finishing technique is fabulous! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~Stephanie Lynn

7. Thoughtfully blended hearts says

Nice…when we live with things for a long time they often need a "facelift"!!!

8. Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! says

Isn't it great how the simplest thing can make such a difference! Thanks for sharing and see you next week! Rory

9. Lanie Ree says

Wow, it's amazing what a little spray paint can do! I especially love your distressing- it finishes it so perfectly.

Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy session at Life in the Pitts!

10. Lori says

Great job…

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life As Lori. Please join me next week for another great party.

11. Laura says

What a simple transformation that makes tons of difference!

Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day at along for the ride!

12. Amy Bowman says

love that! love spray paint! love that you didn't just trash it and buy a new one!!
    thanks for linking up to 'AP tuesdays' would love to see you again tomorrow!

13. Room to Inspire says

It looks so much better in the black! Thanks for linking this up to Be Inspired too!

Chelsea

14. Bethany @ The Paper Pony says

It's amazing what a little bit of spray paint and a lot of imagination can do! Looks so much better!