Mirror Redo

Several years ago I was living in Vegas. In Vegas, Craigslist is like a treasure chest of goodies. People move in and out of the Vegas area all the time, so there’s always a ton of things for sale at great prices. During one of those weekend excursions, my husband and I found this huge mirror (32″x 43″) that weighs a ton. It has a beautiful beveled edge and the frame is very ornate. I’m sure if you bought this mirror new it would have cost a pretty penny. I believe I paid $15 for it.

Now I have never really liked the gold frame. I’ve always wanted to do something to it, but the project kept getting put off… until today! I finally pulled it out today, grabbed my spray paint and sand paper, and set to work. This is a very easy project, so if you have something you want to revamp, don’t feel intimidated.

So here’s the before:

And here’s the after:

First thing you want to do is cover the mirror. Ideally, that blue painter’s tape works perfectly. I KNOW I have some around here, but of course, because I want it, it’s gone. So, instead I covered the mirror with craft paper and used a little masking tape around the edges. I covered the floor with paper (did this in the garage) and laid the mirror in the center.

Next, I spray painted the mirror frame, using sweeping strokes, not holding the spray can in one place so I wouldn’t get drips. I continued until all areas were covered, then I let it dry for about an hour or so.

Next, I distressed the edges and some of the bumpy areas of the frame using a regular old piece of sand paper. Once I was happy with the look, I used a large, soft paint brush to sweep away all of the sand paper dust.

Then i sprayed the entire frame with a coat of gloss sealer and let it dry. That’s it!

I still need to hang it, but I don’t have a sturdy enough picture frame hanger, so that will have to wait. For pictures, I just propped it up on our kitchen table’s bench seat. :)

I’m participating in the following craft carnivals. To see some other awesome projects, be sure to visit them!

30 Responses to Mirror Redo

Maria says:

I love it! You are too crafty!

artsy_momma says:

I agree, the Craigslist out here is awesome! It's crazy how much stuff is on there compared to where I used to live. The black looks so good :)

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! says:

Hi Amanda, I REALLY love doing things with old mirrors and picture frames. Nice job! Thank you very much for sharing it in Modern Craftswoman Monday. Rory

Tasty Eats At Home says:

This looks really great. I love Craigslist!

AshTreeCottage says:

As a designer, I have sold mirrors like yours and they are quite expensive. You got such a good deal and I really like how you refinished it!!

Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

Danielle says:

This is great! I have a very similar mirror (passed down from my mother-in-law) that has gorgeous structure but a hideous gold finish. I'm going to have to put this on my to-do list. Visiting you from Just Something I Whipped Up :)

Room to Inspire says:

It turned out great – and the distressed edges are just perfect!

Chelsea

Melissa says:

Beautifully redo and what a treasure find…

The DIY Show Off says:

Beautiful technique! I love mirrors and I've painted a few myself but now you have me looking at them thinking I should redo one with this technique! ;) Thanks for sharing your creativity in the DIY Project parade!

Roeshel

Stephanie Lynn says:

Love the black – Fabulous painting technique! Thanks again for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week. Hope to see you again next Sunday! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Chrissy @ Home.Kids.Life. says:

What a deal! And you've made it look so much better! Nice work!

KKL Primitives says:

That was a great find and I LOVE your redo!!! I also like it much better black and distressed.

~Neenee~

Brittany says:

Great Tutorial! I love the black… it's very chic!

AM from White House, Black Shutters says:

beautiful redo, I've been looking for a detailed mirror like that for a long time!

Thanks for sharing, new follower!
    -Ann Marie

Mandy says:

Thanks for linking on SugarBee Take-A-Look Tuesday! – Mandy, http://www.craftedition.blogspot.com

Sarah @ Hennessey House says:

i love the frame!! much better in black :)

FrouFrouBritches says:

Oh my gracious! This is GOOORGEOUS!!!! I love it!!!!

Yoga Gal says:

That is very striking! I was painting a black mirror pink today and when I went to pop out the mirror part, I broke it! Sigh. It is now a jewelry holder. Over from Talented Tuesday! :D

Kristi Flanagan says:

Bravo – looks terrific!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

jennwa says:

I can not believe it. I have a mirror that looks just like that and I painted it the same. Great minds think a like. It is such a great way to get an inexpensive mirror to fit your decor, I also do the same with picture frames, clocks, candle holders,trash cans,even vases. For a while I was painting everything in my house.

Fawnda says:

Great job! It looks Fabulous! :)

Funky Junk Interiors says:

Wonderful detail on that mirror! I'd have snatched that one up too. LOVE it in black.

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

Laura says:

This looks great. I love the transformation! Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day!

Andy Porter says:

looks so much better! Nice job!

Amy Bowman says:

That is really gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at "AP Tuesdays" at New Nostalgia! Would love to see you again tomorrow!!

Sue Sparks says:

I have an ornate gold mirror(inherited from a grandmother-in-law) that I have been meaning to redo, in black, but have been procrastinating! Now you have inspired me to get to it! Beautiful job! Thanks for the tutorial!

Tiffiny Felix says:

Had to tell you I did this tonight with a mirror that had a silver frame. I wanted it black so I could use it in a new place in my house. My 7 year-old was *very* impressed that I was recycling it and not buying a new one ;) Thanks for the great idea!

how awesome Tiffiny! Thanks for telling me :)

[...] be revealing my wall this week. It includes my mirror redo, the black pine cone wreath, my clock redo, and I did something different with my denim fabric [...]

[…] have a great big wonderful wall just begging for something to fill it. The wall collage includes my mirror redo and a wall hanging I made from my denim fabric flowers as well. I hope to reveal the whole thing […]