Mirror Redo

Several years ago I was living in Vegas. In Vegas, Craigslist is like a treasure chest of goodies. People move in and out of the Vegas area all the time, so there’s always a ton of things for sale at great prices. During one of those weekend excursions, my husband and I found this huge mirror (32″x 43″) that weighs a ton. It has a beautiful beveled edge and the frame is very ornate. I’m sure if you bought this mirror new it would have cost a pretty penny. I believe I paid $15 for it.

Now I have never really liked the gold frame. I’ve always wanted to do something to it, but the project kept getting put off… until today! I finally pulled it out today, grabbed my spray paint and sand paper, and set to work. This is a very easy project, so if you have something you want to revamp, don’t feel intimidated.

So here’s the before:

And here’s the after:

First thing you want to do is cover the mirror. Ideally, that blue painter’s tape works perfectly. I KNOW I have some around here, but of course, because I want it, it’s gone. So, instead I covered the mirror with craft paper and used a little masking tape around the edges. I covered the floor with paper (did this in the garage) and laid the mirror in the center.

Next, I spray painted the mirror frame, using sweeping strokes, not holding the spray can in one place so I wouldn’t get drips. I continued until all areas were covered, then I let it dry for about an hour or so.

Next, I distressed the edges and some of the bumpy areas of the frame using a regular old piece of sand paper. Once I was happy with the look, I used a large, soft paint brush to sweep away all of the sand paper dust.

Then i sprayed the entire frame with a coat of gloss sealer and let it dry. That’s it!

I still need to hang it, but I don’t have a sturdy enough picture frame hanger, so that will have to wait. For pictures, I just propped it up on our kitchen table’s bench seat. :)

I’m participating in the following craft carnivals. To see some other awesome projects, be sure to visit them!

Comments

1. artsy_momma says

I agree, the Craigslist out here is awesome! It's crazy how much stuff is on there compared to where I used to live. The black looks so good :)

2. Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! says

Hi Amanda, I REALLY love doing things with old mirrors and picture frames. Nice job! Thank you very much for sharing it in Modern Craftswoman Monday. Rory

3. AshTreeCottage says

As a designer, I have sold mirrors like yours and they are quite expensive. You got such a good deal and I really like how you refinished it!!

Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

4. Danielle says

This is great! I have a very similar mirror (passed down from my mother-in-law) that has gorgeous structure but a hideous gold finish. I'm going to have to put this on my to-do list. Visiting you from Just Something I Whipped Up :)

5. The DIY Show Off says

Beautiful technique! I love mirrors and I've painted a few myself but now you have me looking at them thinking I should redo one with this technique! ;) Thanks for sharing your creativity in the DIY Project parade!

Roeshel

6. Stephanie Lynn says

Love the black – Fabulous painting technique! Thanks again for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week. Hope to see you again next Sunday! ~ Stephanie Lynn

7. KKL Primitives says

That was a great find and I LOVE your redo!!! I also like it much better black and distressed.

~Neenee~

8. AM from White House, Black Shutters says

beautiful redo, I've been looking for a detailed mirror like that for a long time!

Thanks for sharing, new follower!
    -Ann Marie

9. Yoga Gal says

That is very striking! I was painting a black mirror pink today and when I went to pop out the mirror part, I broke it! Sigh. It is now a jewelry holder. Over from Talented Tuesday! :D

10. jennwa says

I can not believe it. I have a mirror that looks just like that and I painted it the same. Great minds think a like. It is such a great way to get an inexpensive mirror to fit your decor, I also do the same with picture frames, clocks, candle holders,trash cans,even vases. For a while I was painting everything in my house.

11. Funky Junk Interiors says

Wonderful detail on that mirror! I'd have snatched that one up too. LOVE it in black.

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

12. Amy Bowman says

That is really gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at "AP Tuesdays" at New Nostalgia! Would love to see you again tomorrow!!

13. Sue Sparks says

I have an ornate gold mirror(inherited from a grandmother-in-law) that I have been meaning to redo, in black, but have been procrastinating! Now you have inspired me to get to it! Beautiful job! Thanks for the tutorial!

14. Tiffiny Felix says

Had to tell you I did this tonight with a mirror that had a silver frame. I wanted it black so I could use it in a new place in my house. My 7 year-old was *very* impressed that I was recycling it and not buying a new one ;) Thanks for the great idea!