Wooden Frame Redo – Framed Seashells

I’ve been working on the wall in my dining room, and only need a couple more things to fill the empty spots. I found a nice, solid wooden frame at the thrift store for $3.00 and knew immediately that would be my last large item on the wall. To make this, I used an old placemat that had some stains on it for the canvas and some sea shells and jute string (to cover the stains) for the focal pieces.

I’ll be revealing my wall this week. It includes my mirror redo, the black pine cone wreath, my clock redo, and I did something different with my denim fabric flowers too. :) Hope you’ll come back to see it!

Here’s the before and after

Framed Seashells

You will need

Large wooden frame
various seashells
jute string
hot glue gun
old placemat or other sturdy fabric
small nails
black spray paint
sand paper
clear glaze

What you’ll do

Sand the frame lightly to remove any foreign matter and smooth the surface. Brush off the frame to remove any sand paper dust. Spray paint black, let dry, repeat. When the frame is dry, use sand paper to distress it and spray on some clear glaze, I used a satin finish as I really didn’t want it glossy.

As you can see I didn’t paint the back of the frame. You can if you want to. Put the placemat on the back of the frame and trim it if necessary. Secure the placemat to the frame with hot glue, stretching it as you work to get a nice taut surface to work on.

Hot glue seashells and starfish randomly onto the surface in whatever fashion looks good to you.

I missed covering a stain, which I originally meant to cover with the largest shell, but after rearranging it never got covered. So I just used some jute string. I hot glue an end to the placemat, then just hot glued around in a spiral. I added a couple more to balance it out visually.

Next I needed to add a hanger. I was out of metal hangers, so instead I used some small nails and a piece of jute to create my own.

That’s it! I really like the texture the placemat adds. Hope you like it!

Comments

1. One Cheap B*tch says

You did a great job on this! Thanks for sharing the DIY! I'd love to have a beach theme somewhere in my house…the question is where?!

Jeanine

2. Jane@Little House of Projects says

This is great! And I have to say that every time I see that little puppy over on the border of your page on the vintage wall hanging it makes me smile. I just love how his head is tipped like he listening :)

3. Melissa says

This turned out super…I think it is one of my favorite framed sea-shell projects that I've seen. I think in part, because of the wonderful use of the jute – it adds flow to the arrangement.

4. Vera @ Cozy Little Cabin says

Wonderful, wonderful! This is just wonderful & I am SO copying this idea, using rocks, acorns & mushroom instead.

Thanks so very much for sharing your creativity & inspiring me!!!!!

5. [email protected] says

This is so much fun! Thanks so much for the great idea, I'll be linking.

6. Sweet Bee Cottage says

What a clever use of all those things. It looks great and smart little trick for covering that stain. I'm going to have to come back for your reveal.

7. Shelia says

I love this idea! You did a great job and love the little rolled up jute! Fantastic,
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

8. Stephanie Lynn says

What a great transformation. The frame look great black and the shells are adorable! Love the rolled twine! Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it! hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

9. Linda@Coastal Charm says

Luv the "COASTAL" look! Hope you are having FUN at my Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays Party…looking at all the THRIFTY treasures:)

Blessings,
    Linda

10. Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! says

What a great way to remember a special beach trip, too! Thanks for helping make this the most successful Modern Craftswoman Monday so far! See you next week! Rory

11. Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com says

My favorite thing about it is that you used the placemat for the background! :) So fun!

12. Heather says

Looks great, my bathroom has a lighthouse/beach theme, might have to make one of these! Smart idea to use the twine to cover up a stain you missed.

13. Threeundertwo says

It turned out great! What a clever and thrifty idea. I love one-of-a-kind pieces like this. Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday!

14. creativejewishmom.com says

Beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday! Can't wait to see what you've been up to this week!

15. Andy Porter says

What a cute frame! I love how fresh it looks! Great idea! Thanks for linking to Poppies at Play! It's been a pleasure having you link to my parties! Have a wonderful summer!
    XOXO,
    Andy

16. Room to Inspire says

The frame looks great black – and it is such a great contrast to the wonderful shells! Thanks so much for linking up to Be Inspired last week.

Chelsea

17. Erin Zacharda says

Way cute! I love a cheap piece of art like that – don't you just love when you come up with something clever like that!?