My Plate Wall

This house was built in the mid 1950′s. That means it has a lot of charm, but it also means that it lacks an open floor plan like the newly constructed homes of today. So instead of a kitchen with a big eat in type dining room, I have a dining room that connects to my kitchen and living room through arched doorways. When we moved back in here I didn’t hang anything up. It’s been driving my husband crazy, so I finally put together this plate wall.
First, I went thrifting, yay! My favorite pastime. :) I rummaged around in the plate section for quite a while, picking out large plates, small plates and everything in between. I had certain colors in mind, knowing my wall was dark I wanted to make sure I had contrast.
Here are some of the pretty ones that I found…
If you read my food blog you might recognize the plate in the last picture. I used it in several food shots, such as these Gooey Chocolate Cakes and these Honey Wheat Cookies.
So armed with some cool plates, a nifty brown basket and some awesome wooden utensils, I was almost ready to complete my wall. When I got home, I washed everything and grabbed a few other plates and the green charger from my existing collection. I laid them all out on the dining room table until I was happy with the arrangement. Then I took a picture so I wouldn’t forget where everything went!

Here’s the dining room wall before hanging all the plates. Yep. A blank wall with an electrical outlet smack dab in the middle (from years ago for a lighted china cabinet). Boring, I know.

And the after shot, much better, don’t you think? :)

I also created a design for “Time to Eat” on my Silhouette to apply to one of the white plates that I found. This fits perfectly as that’s what I holler when dinner is ready!

You can find the template for that here. The fonts I used for this are Bell MT (Time to) and Zapfino (EAT). I apologize but I can’t seem to get the Bell MT to export from my files, but I did find it here.

I don’t really care for those ugly plate hangers that you can buy, I wanted the plates to appear suspended on the wall. I chose to use DISChangers. They are pretty dang cool. They are self adhesive and you can’t see them as they are hidden behind the plate.

They are really easy to use. They come in different sizes, each one holding up to a certain weight and/or diameter of plate. First you wet the back of the disc. Just dip your finger in a cup of water then rub your finger around the back of the disc until the glue becomes tacky. Don’t use too much water or you’ll actually wash the glue off. Trust me on this. I wasted one by dipping a pastry brush in water and getting it too wet. A single finger dip is all you really need. :)

Press the disc onto the back of the plate. You will of course want to make sure that you line it up with any design on the front of your plate so that when it hangs, it hangs straight. At this point, you will want to allow the discs to set for 24 hours.

Then you just hang them up! I’m happy with how the wall turned out. The sign at the top was a gift from a friend a few years ago. I didn’t originally intent to hang that there, but there was a big honkin’ screw stinking out of the wall and that sign covered it up. It’s nice having something on the wall now, no more eating dinner with blank walls! :)

Tags: ,

29 Responses to My Plate Wall

Kelli says:

i love it! that is so pretty!

Elle says:

I have to do this! I love love love the look, and the hangers are awesome!

allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com says:

this turned out so pretty! I have a wall I've been collecting plates for just this idea for a while now. I really appreciate the how to on the hangers because I've bought those, just wasn't exactly sure how to make them work! Thanks so much!

jpaigeart.com says:

very cool…really adds a lot to your space!

Paige @ The Wandering Cottage says:

Love it!

Dolly says:

Is that Freezer paper you used to transfer the text to the plate? This idea came out really great!

Hi Dolly! That's actually transfer paper that you use with the vinyl, I bought it from Silhouette :)

gail@myrepurposedlife.net says:

I love your plate wall! That small greenish plate is my favorite! It's sooo cute! (and the cakes looks pretty yummy!)
    I need to try the dischangers!
    gail

gail@myrepurposedlife.net says:

btw, I downloaded time to eat, but the font that it shows in my studio is different. So, I suppose that means I don't have the "TIME" font on my puter?
    gail

Finding Normal says:

I love this. All of it! I have a weird wall in our eat-in area that would be perfect for this project! I'm so going to start looking for plates! Where did you buy the hangers? Thanks for sharing!

Thanks ladies!

@Gail – i have to run but I will update this post with that font!

@FindingNormal – you can get them at http://dischangers.com/ :) :)

Lauren says:

I love a good plate wall! This looks fantastic :) Love the "Time to Eat"

Nutmeg Nanny says:

What a cute idea! I love all the different plates.

natty. says:

Oh my gosh! I've been planning to do a plate wall for months! I need to paint my wall a dark grey color first. How awesome!

Linda@Coastal Charm says:

love that plate wall…looks like I need to get me some of those disc…HAPPY NTT!

Blessings,
    Linda

Donnie says:

I really like your idea about setting the dishes on the table to arrange them and taking a photo. They really look nice up there.

Brianne says:

I really like it! Awesome idea!! I am very jealous that you have a silhouette though ; )

I have updated the post to include the fonts that I used on the Time to Eat plate :)

Jeanne Selep says:

I wanted to do a plate wall, but instead I change out my hutch. But I still admire plate walls. BTW, very cool hangers! I have never seen them before.

~K @ VintageSkye says:

What a fun collection!

sarah says:

Okay where did you get those disk hanger thingies? So cool!

Hi Sarah! The Dischangers are available here

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com says:

Love it!! What a fun project!! I have a bunch of plates and have been trying to plan out a plate wall for such a long time.

I shared it on my TT& J page :)

mumukshu says:

Interesting line up..love the variety of lates ..the wooden spoons in the basket esp cute..i wish idisc hangers were available here.
    Just a suggestion why not do some family pic or your cooking pic decopauge wiht modge podge on the plain white plates.
    Suchitra
    India

Funky Junk Interiors says:

So fun, Amanda! Your wall display really makes your space so enjoyable and lighthearted.

Donna

Jennifer @lifecraftsandwhatever says:

Gorgeous, and it looks like it fits perfectly with your house!

[...] I laid everything out on the dining room table in the same fashion that I did when I made my plate wall. I was sure to take a picture so that I could refer back to the photo for placement on the [...]

[...] Wall I actually had a plate wall already, I just switched out some of the plates to make the new collection lighter in [...]

[…] I found all three of these at the Salvation Army thrift store while perusing for plates for my plate wall. I grabbed them immediately and put them in the cart. They reminded me of the French fruit wall art […]