Tree Branch and Bird Mural

A couple months ago my daughter asked me if I could paint a mural on her wall. She wanted some sort of tree branch with some birds as well. We scoured the internet and found a few designs that were nice, but none of them were exactly what she wanted. So together we came up with this design and I went to work.

The first step was to draw out the design. I drew it on a piece of paper originally thinking that everything would be black. After a little discussion, we decided that a little contrast in the design would look good. So in order to really see what we were dealing with, I photocopied my design onto a piece of purple paper. Her bedroom wall is purple, so this made it a lot easier to figure out just the right colors. I grabbed a gray and a white colored pencil and the picture on the right is what we came up with.

Now that we were happy with the result it was time to get to work… Fast forward 6 weeks later. Poor kid! Such a patient teenager, I think she figured it was never going to happen! I actually borrowed an old ¬†projector from our elementary school, but there just wasn’t enough room to back up the projector to make the image large enough on the wall. So I grabbed a pencil and winged it freehand instead.

The next step was to paint the largest parts of the branches with black acrylic paint (I used Americana).

Then I used a liner brush to add all the flower sprouts and twirls.

Kristen wanted some shimmer in the design, so I used some Dazzling Metallics in White Pearl for the flowers and twirls and Shimmering Silver for the leaves.

I did go back over the flowers, but was pretty pleased with the coverage over the purple wall!

This is what it looked like so far…

The last step was to add a flying dove off to the right. I found one on the internet and printed it out. I taped it to the wall…

And traced the design with pencil. I removed the paper bird and painted it with the Shimmering Silver.

Kristen is really happy with the design, I’m just happy I finally got it done! :)

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only crafts but recipes from my other blog, Amanda’s Cookin’ as well!

10 Responses to Tree Branch and Bird Mural

Connie the crafterbug says:

This looks beautiful! I like how the branch is coming out of the ceiling. Great job! I have a projector for doing this very thing ,but you did it free hand and that is awesome.
    Connie

Tiffany says:

AWESOME!!!! I have wanted to do a tree for my daughter. I actually painted one on a small canvas and hung it in her room. but I think I want to paint it on her wall. I took the inspiration from a rubber stamp of a tree….its a bare tree with curly limbs…very cute. not sure if i can do one on that big of a scale….

freckled laundry says:

Beautiful, Amanda!

Anonymous says:

Hi Amanda, your painting is really beautiful. I'm just starting to paint my daughter's room…you have inspired me to do something different. Will send a photo when it happens…hope your as patient as your daughter because it will take awhile.

Betsy from DHS

Kimberlea@SaVvyDeCor says:

Very pretty! I was going to add a tree to my daughter's bedroom makeover but I chickened out and changed the whole plan. This has me second guessing my decision. Although, I'm sure it would not turn out as nice as this one! Thanks for sharing!

Evelene S says:

That turned out beautifully.

the cape on the corner says:

wow, that looks great! i love the shimmer.

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims says:

this is so pretty! and i love the metallic touch too, makes it pop!

'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/05/your-whims-wednesday-5-and-features.html

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants says:

Your newest follower. Love your unique ideas not the same old you see on every other blog.

Mod Podge Amy says:

This looks AWESOME! I bet she just loves it so much!