I know it’s really time to wrap up the back to school crafts, but this one is such a no-brainer that I had to share. It doesn’t get much easier than this, and all you need is a can from your recycling stash and some card stock in the colors of the rainbow.
I used a Starbuck Hot Cocoa can, a remnant of last year’s Christmas presents to the kids. We got them each a canister and they loved it! I even used some of the mix in these Starbuck’s Hot Cocoa Chocolate Chip Muffins!
You will need to cut the card stock into two-inch wide strips, and long enough to fit around your can.
Overlapping the purple strip and leaving about an inch showing, glue on the blue strip.
As in the last step, overlap the blue with green. Continue this process with yellow, orange and finally, red.
If your strips aren’t long enough, simply use another. :)
Any excess paper sticking up over the top of the can should be tucked ins and glued in place.
See? I told you it was a no-brainer!
More Pencil Can Crafts
There are so many different ways to dress up a recycled can and use it on your desk to hold pencils, pens and markers. Whether it’s paint, paper, decoupage, fabric or one of numerous other mediums, they are fun to make and look great on your desk or shelf!
Corn on the Cob Pencil Holder
Magnetic Locker Pencil Holder
Denim Covered Pencil Can
Ribbon Can Pencil Holder – The Creative Place
Map Covered Pencil Holders – Small Home Love
Colored Pencil Can – Spoonful
Various Pencil Holder Crafts – Fun Family Crafts
- Recycled can or canister with smooth sides
- Cardstock: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple
- Cut card stock into 2-inch wide strips. Glue purple strip around the bottom of the can first.
- Overlapping the purple strip and leaving about an inch showing, glue on the blue strip.
- As in the last step, overlap the blue with green. Continue this process with yellow, orange and finally, red.
- Any excess paper sticking up over the top of the can should be tucked ins and glued in place.
Latest posts by Amanda Formaro (see all)
- Easy Yarn Crafts: Creative Ways to Use Yarn Without Knitting or Crocheting - March 17, 2017
- Egg Shell Mosaic Vase - March 14, 2017
- 40+ Creative Easter Crafts for Kids - March 6, 2017