I have super quick tutorial for you today. I tend to save all my recycled yogurt containers and had a bunch sitting around. DecoArt asked me to come up with an easy project for Michaels Craft Stores using Craft Smart paint. That’s not hard, since I use Craft Smart for all my kid’s crafts. They wanted a more adult type craft though, so these little herb pots were born. Since herbs need room to grow, these will really be more for germinating seeds and developing the small plant. Because these containers are plastic, it will be easy to pop the plants out when it’s time to put them in the ground!
I don’t have any step by step photos for you because it’s literally easy enough to follow with just words. You simply remove the labels from your recycled yogurt containers, sand the plastic a little to rough it up, and paint the surface. For the polka dots, just dip the handle end of a paintbrush into white paint and dot onto the surface. Let them dry and you are good to go!
There are full printable instructions at the bottom of this post. If you would like to know the exact colors of the paint I used, I’ve listed those in the supplies.
Of course, you don’t have to use these for herbs. They’d be great for desk accessories (holding paper clips, pushpins, etc) or for holding hair ties on your daughter’s dresser. What other little things can you see using them for?
- 3 recycled plastic yogurt cups
- Craft Smart Matte Varnish
- Tools: sandpaper, paintbrush
- Holiday Red
- Dark Blue
- Wash and remove labels and glue from yogurt cups. Dry and light sand the surface to knock off any coating.
- Paint each yogurt cup a different base color, one each Holiday Red, Plum and Dark Blue. Repeat for a second and third coat if needed.
- Use the handle end of a paintbrush to dot White onto each cup forming an “X”, an “O” and a heart shape.
- Apply a coat of varnish.
Latest posts by Amanda Formaro (see all)
- Easy Yarn Crafts: Creative Ways to Use Yarn Without Knitting or Crocheting - March 17, 2017
- Egg Shell Mosaic Vase - March 14, 2017
- 40+ Creative Easter Crafts for Kids - March 6, 2017