Need something pretty to fill with candy, jewelry, or even a little love note? Make a pretty trinket box using inexpensive paper mache boxes from the craft store, metallic paint and some pretty scrapbook paper. These little gift boxes are perfect for Valentine’s Day, but can be adapted to any occasion.
I picked up these little paper mache boxes at Hobby Lobby for less than a dollar each and found some really pretty scrapbook paper there too. So let’s get started shall we?
This is a pretty easy project. to cut the scrapbook paper for the tops of the boxes, turn the paper upside down and trace around the box lid with a pencil. Then we’ll paint and decoupage! Full instructions are below and printable. :)
I chose red for this one because.. well, for Valentine’s Day! :)
I love the brown for this, perfect for chocolates :) mmmm!
See the scrapbook paper? It’s so pretty! I love the texture, looks like fancy crumpled paper.
Here’s a close up of the brown one too.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
- Dazzling Metallics Rich Espresso
- Dazzling Metallics Festive Red
- DecoArt Decoupage
- Embossed paper mache boxes, round and heart shaped
- Fancy scrapbook paper
- Paint the outside of the heart shaped box with Festive Red Dazzling Metallics. Paint the outside of the round box with Rich Espresso Dazzling Metallics.
- Place scrapbook paper upside down and use the lid of your box to trace a pattern with a pencil.
- Cut the patterns out of the paper, then trim the edges of your paper to remove about ⅛” all the way around.
- Apply a coat of Americana Decoupage to the back of the paper using a flat paintbrush. Press the paper onto the painted box lid.
- Thread ribbon into the holes of the button and tie into a bow.
- Use a hot glue gun to attach the button to the lid of the box.
- Fill with candy or trinkets.
Below is a list of craft parties I link to each week. There’s lots of creative talent out there, check them out :)