First I painted them with acrylic paint. I didn’t even put paint into the palette because only a small amount of each color is needed. I just shook the bottle and removed the lid, then stuck my paintbrush into the lid to get some paint. Most of my bread tags were white, but I did have a red one and left that one as is.
While the paint was drying, I sketched out some monster faces.
Then I started embellishing. I used a toothpick for some of the small lines, like this monster’s mouth…
and for the marks on this monster’s sides.
I dipped the handle end of a paintbrush into the paint to make the eyes and any polka dots. For really tiny polka dots and some of the pupils I used a toothpick.
On this one I used a Sharpie marker to draw on toes, then used a toothpick to fill in the toes with paint. A monster manicure!
I did finish them off with some sealer spray too, to keep the paint from rubbing or peeling off.