Watermelon Picnic Caddy

Watermelons = summer! Memorial Day is basically the unofficial opening of summer, and this little picnic caddy looks really cute on your holiday table. I actually made this little caddy 4 years ago, and had it up until last year. Then a neighbor’s friend saw it and asked about it, so I gave it to her. :)

Sorry I don’t have better pictures, but here are the instructions. Hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Watermelon Picnic Caddy

What you need

paper mache picnic basket
small round brush
medium flat brush
medium scruffy brush
old toothbrush

acrylic paints:
pink
leaf green
black
white
acrylic sealer spray, matte

What you do

Remove lid and paint it leaf green. Set aside to dry.

Using the flat brush, paint outside of picnic caddy pink. Paint the handles black. Paint the inside rim (where the lid rests) leaf green. Repeat all (including lid) with a second coat and let dry.

Use the round brush to dab on the watermelon seeds in various places on the outside of the box. Let dry.

Dip scruffy brush into white paint and dab off all excess onto a paper towel. Paint brush should be almost dry. Add white touches to the black handles, the pink rounded corners of the box, and use it in a sweeping motion across the top and sides of the green lid.

Put a small amount of black paint onto a paper plate, about the size of a dime. Add a few drop of water, enough to thin the paint. Using an old toothbrush, pick up some of the thinned black paint. Before applying this method to the box, test it on a piece of newspaper. Flick the bristles of the toothbrush by dragging your finger or thumb across them. This causes the paint to spray off the brush onto your “target”, in this case, the newspaper. Once you are happy with the result, flick the paint all over the pink outer coat on the box and the green lid.¬†Spray entire surface with acrylic sealer and allow to dry completely.

Try my Watermelon Cookies too! They are over on my cooking blog, Amanda’s Cookin’.

Comments

1. Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com says

What a sweet basket! I love the watermelon. So cute. And those cookies look so yummy. Thanks for sharing!

2. Stephanie Lynn says

The perfect accessory for the cookies! Adorable! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party. I greatly appreciate it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

3. Stephanie Lynn says

Hi Amanda! Just wanted to let you know I'll be featuring your caddy later today! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks again for linking to The Sunday Showcase! Hope to see you again next week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

4. Kara@ Creations by Kara says

That is such a cute idea, thanks for linking up! Now I've gotta go check out that recipe. :)

5. anne maskell says

I've already checked out your cookies. Love them! I think it would be really cute to put the cookies in the basket for a picnic!

6. Lanie Ree says

I love the basket, and the cookies look amazing! I am bookmarking this post so IO can come back and try these myself.

Thank you for participating in the Craft Therapy Session with Life in the Pitts

7. threeundertwo says

Love the caddy and the cookies are fabulous! Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday. Have a great weekend.

8. Kristi Flanagan says

I love watermelon – so, so, so cute! Thanks for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

9. Jerri says

Watermelon stuff is so cute! And perfect for summer time! Great ideas! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

10. michelle@somedaycrafts says

This is such a fun idea! I have never seen this, but I think it is a definite necessity!

11. Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior says

I am THRILLED that I was led to both of your blogs today. Amanda, you are one in a zillion — absolutely creative, inventive, a fun chef with great recipes and you are cute as a button! I'm going to attempt to replicate this basket and fill it with your watermelon cookies. Your ideas are simply to sigh for. Thank Heaven I discovered your blogs. YAY!

12. Jessica says

In addition to making your summer table look good, the project can also be used to carry a picnic lunch in to the park or even lunch to the beach in! Thanks for sharing!

13. Amanda says

Thanks for compliments jessica :) This is actually a mini basket, perfect for utensils and napkins, but not big enough for carrying lunch. A big one sure would be cute though! :)