70′s Butterfly Wall Hanging Redo

Do you remember those little ensembles hanging in your grandma’s bathroom? This one came with two butterflies and a little oval mirror. I found it at a thrift store just dying for a new home. I still have plans for the mirror, but for now I’ll show you the butterfly metamorphosis. ;) It really is amazing what a little spray paint can accomplish!

My teen daughter’s room is purple with white trim. Her accent pieces are black. You might remember this circle tree modern art canvas piece I did for her room a little while back. We have been slowly working on adding bits and pieces here and there and these butterflies were a perfect addition.

When I originally picked these up I had planned to paint them blue and give them to my husband’s aunt. I figured she would like them based off of other things I have seen in her home, and all her accent pieces were blue. Since we ended up not visiting them over Thanksgiving I still had them sitting in my stash. I fully expected my daughter to reject the idea, but when I presented it to her she was all for it.

It was a pretty easy transformation. All I used was some Krylon primer and spray paint.

So here they are in their original state. Lovely right? Sooooo reminiscent of my house when I was growing up. I think my mother probably had some of these!

First I applied a coat of primer. I allowed each side to dry for about half an hour before applying a second coat.

After the second coat they probably dried over an hour. I was busy doing other things so didn’t really clock it. :-/

Next I simply applied a coat of Krylon Satin Black. I did allow these to dry for an hour in between coats and did two coats on both sides.

That was it! Easy peasy and a lovely addition to Kristen’s room! I can’t wait to show you what I have planned for her wall, but that’s a much bigger project. :)

19 Responses to 70′s Butterfly Wall Hanging Redo

Mommyblogger says:

Those are just adorable. I remember my mom having those butterflies in her house when I was growing up!

Karen says:

Very cute! I love spraying stuff a different color! It changes the whole look. Great job!

ificould says:

Super cute! What a cute idea – love how they turned out!
    missy

Jennifer says:

We definitely had those in our house when I was growing up. I remember them vividly. I think they also have some wall sconces that match.

Melissa says:

I have these exact butterflies! I found three of them at my local goodwill and painted them light pink for my daughter's room:) And yeah…my grandma totally had stuff like that in her house! Ha!

Mod Podge Amy says:

Amanda, I love this! So much! Sometimes it's hard to see beauty in old stuff. You always manage it. When can I come over for some creamsicle cupcakes??? :D

Joani says:

These butterflies were a product of Home Interior out of Dallas, TX. The company is now bankrupt. The company that follows them is Celebrating Home. Lovely color.

Jill @ Craft in a Northern Town says:

I want to put butterflies in my daughter's room as well. I saw some at Target for $30 and couldn't bring myself to buy them. I need to see if I can find some at a thrift store and do what you did.

Thanks for the great idea!

OurForeverHouse says:

So funny! I recently found some similar 70s butterflys. We painted ours watermelon pink to match my daughters new room. I skipped the primer step and have totally regretted it. They would have covered in half the paint had I ran out to get some primer. Lesson learned.

creativejewishmom/sara says:

Great makeover! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, wonderful to connect again!

The Autocrat: Haley says:

Great idea!!

Kate says:

My grandma didn't have those but she did have butterflies all over her tiny bathroom. I loved them and the powder puff. I used to love taking a bath at her place and then dusting with scented baby powder with the big fluffy puff. Good memories.

Krafty Kat says:

Those little butterflies do bring back some memories! They look great in your daughter's room!

Rezlana Mushadiq says:

They are gorgeous….:)

marla says:

Oh Amanda, you are so creative – these came out so pretty!

Kim @ Second Time Furniture says:

Very cute! I have two gold butterflies just like yours that I planned to do the same thing with!

Diane says:

Haha. I have those same butterflies. I didn't know there was a mirror to go with them though. I also have some larger white ones that have orange felt behind them. I was just looking at them yesterday wondering if I should finally donate them. But I held onto them. Those do look so cute!! :) Thanks for sharing!

from blank pages…

Veronica says:

Hi! I just discovered your blog via http://cardmkrleslie.blogspot.com/ Love the Valentine magnet idea. And I love the spray painted butterflies too! I so remember my friend's mom having some like that in one of their bathrooms!! Oh, memories…

Veronica in CA

Veronica says:

By the way, my bedroom is purple with white trim too! Well, lavender escape is the technical color…except I'm 31, not quite a teenager anymore! I have white, black, espresso and silver accents…too many I know.

Veronica