Light Bulb Snowman Ornament craft

I’ve already posted my light bulb angel and penguin, so here’s my snowman too. :) Again, I made this guy in 2000, 9 years and going strong. If you wrap them carefully, ornaments made from light bulbs will last a very long time! The photo at the right was taken right after I made it, the photo toward the bottom was taken last week when I hung it on my tree. :)

I have one last light bulb ornament t show you, but I’ve never written a tutorial on that one. Hopefully I can put that together this week :)

Light Bulb Snowman

4 toothpicks
Fiberfil cotton batting
hot glue
scissors
black marker

What You Do

Wipe bulb down with rubbing alcohol, this will help the paint adhere to the bulb. Let dry. Paint entire light bulb with white acrylic paint and let dry. Apply a second coat. If finish appears streaked, you can use a large paint brush or a sponge to blot on a “stucco” look. It is not necessary to paint the socket. Allow bulb to dry completely.

While bulb is drying, cut off the ribbing from the child’s sock. Roll up a brim at one end and tie off the other end with gold ribbon or cord, tie in a bow. Leave about half an inch of sock above ribbon for the fluffy top, fringe ends. Add a bit of Fiberfil to the inside of the hat. Cut a tiny square of fabric and glue to the front brim of the hat.

From the remaining material on the sock, cut a rectangle, about 2 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches long. Place a small amount of Fiberfil in the center, roll up jelly roll style and glue together. Glue ends closed. Take one of the toothpicks and carefully cut/break in half. Insert pointed side of each toothpick into the muff on either side.

Once light bulb is dry, glue the muff to the belly of the bulb, below the neck and above the fattest part of the bulb. Glue the toothpicks to the bulb. Using another toothpick, cut into fourths. Using the sections that do not have pointed ends, glue to the toothpick arms that are already in place on the bulb. This will create the elbow to the shoulder. Glue to the elbow and to the bulb (see photo for guide).

Fit hat snugly over socket of light bulb and glue in place. To create the hanger, tie a long piece of ribbon into a loop. With the hanging ends, tie around the hat underneath the brim (roll it down out of your way). Loop tie should be positioned at the back of the hat. Tie ribbon tight and snip off extra ends. Roll brim back up to cover ribbon.

Fashion a scarf from scrap material and tie carefully around neck, glue in place. Fringe ends of scarf with scissors. Glue two buttons to belly area, tuck top button underneath muff halfway. With one of the remaining pointed toothpicks that you cut into fourths, glue on for nose. Carefully dot on eyes with black marker. Hang!

Special note: You may not use all the toothpicks that the instructions call for. They are easily split when broken or cut, so we allowed for that with extras.

46 Responses to Light Bulb Snowman Ornament craft

Barbara Bakes says:

I love this idea! So cute!

Cheryl G. says:

That is very CUTE!

Janice says:

I see you have two blogs one for cooking and one for crafting – me too! So glad I found your blogs they are great.

Thank you ladies!

Cathy (breadexperience) says:

Oh! This is too cute! I love snowmen. I need to make this.

Thanks Cathy! I'm a big snowman fan myself :)

Beth@The Stories of A to Z says:

I have seen lots of lightbulb ornaments but this guy is seriously the cutest!

Thank you for the nice compliment Beth! :)

jennwa says:

Cute cute cute !!!!!!

Kristen says:

This snowman is my favorite of your bulb ornaments!! So cute :)

Karen Swank says:

This project looks so adorable. I’m going to make a ton of them, in all different colors.

mary says:

love snowmen. this one is great. I will definitely make them. thanks so much for your great ideas.

Lacy701 says:

I use oven bulbs as they are stronger you can even drop them & they usually won’t break,I don’t know if the fridge bulbs are as strong,I may be the heat from the oven tempers them and they get stronger.

Janie says:

I am anxious to try this Snowman. However, when I printed out the directions I receiver 5 pages I did not want [the comments]. It was not only unwanted but a waste of my ink! Please let me know if I can print without the “comments”. Thank you

• 14.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

Sorry about that Janie, that’s an older post and I haven’t added the printer friendly version yet. In a case like that, just highlight the area that you want and see if you print setting has a “print highlighted”,. If not, copy and paste it to a plain text editor and print from there :) I’m working on updating these and hope to get it done soon!

Gina says:

What size child’s sock is needed? Baby, toddler? I am going to make this with 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students.

[...] Bulb by AmandaAmanda’s Snowman Lightbulb This snowman bulb is also by Amanda, made around the same time, but it doesn’t look dated, [...]

[...] Crafts by Amanda has snowman ornament made from a recycled lightbulb and a childs sock–Now that’s [...]

Melissa Varney says:

I love this. I just finished my first one. Not sure how to sent you a picture.

• 18.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

You can upload it to my Facebook fan page or click the email icon on my blog to shoot me the picture via email! :)

kashfelix says:

This is really a gud thing n marvellous job thans for giving me this idea.

[...] light bulb snowman is painted and uses a child’s sock for the [...]

Shelby says:

I didn’t, and still don’t, have any acrylic paints. And since I don’t have any, I am using oil paints. I mixed white and cerulean blue and used that as my base color, adding patches of pure white for detail. I am still in the process of making them but once they are finished I’ll see if there’s a way to post them as a comment here!

mary maharg says:

want to print this pattern, how?

[...] made this light bulb ornament the same year I made the angel, snowman, and penguin , in December of [...]

adam says:

This helped be out for School thanks :)

Adam ochoa says:

Tthanks helped me out for school

[...] The other ornament project I found is a little more complex. This one comes from the blog Crafts by Amanda: [...]

joyvanna says:

if u wount a very smoth serfos nail polish works great for the paint

[...] kardan adam 1 pek cici,pek sevimli Tık tıkBurada penguen, burada da melek versiyonu [...]

Barb Platt says:

Did I miss the instructions on how to do the nose on the snowman lightbulb?

• 29.1

Hi Barb! It’s in the last paragraph, just above the “special note”. Here’s the instruction for that :)

[…] Like your snowmen without the glitter? Here’s an awesome tutorial! […]

Sharon says:

This is the cutest light bulb ornament that I’ve ever seen!

wilma hurley says:

can use a pipe cleaner for arms ?

Pat Kinzie says:

I just found you on Creative Income, I love Snowmen too! I would like to see the Angel & Penguin. I’m sure they are just as cute. Thanks for the pattern info. Have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Pat Kinzie says:

I went on pintrest a saw everything…WoW… I sent it to my cousin who is a 3rd grade teacher. I’m sure she will find things to make with her class. Great ideas. Love the Turkey lightbulb and what you did with the acorns. Oh, and the bread tags, too cute.

Glenda Biersbach says:

Want to make light bulb people for a Spring Boutique. Thought a lady with spring hat, Uncle Sam using styrofoam cups. How many ounces? I got 4 oz (but too wide) and 6 oz. Thanks