Make Tie Dye Wall Letters

Decorating your daughter’s room can be a challenge, especially when she reaches the preteen and adolescent years. When Kristen, my only daughter amongst three boys, was 12 years old, she wanted me to take the girlishly pink wall letters her grandma had given her, and make them more “hip”. She was in that “I don’t like pink anymore” stage and was loving the vibrant colors of tie dye.

I found some tie dye fabric at the craft store and pulled out my paints. The results were fun and funky. it’s now almost 4 years later and these letters still hang proudly above her closet doors.

Tie Dye Wall Letters
designed by Amanda Formaro

What you need

wooden wall letters
sand paper
Liquitex Basics Gesso (optional)
yellow acrylic craft paint
tie dye fabric
razor blade or box cutter
white craft glue
paint brush
water
nailess sawtooth picture hangers
hammer

What you do

If needed, sand wooden letters to make them smooth. You can find wooden letters at most craft supply stores or order them online.

Paint a coat of Liquitex Basics Gesso on each letter. This is a craft medium that will help provide better coverage and will require less yellow paint. This step is optional, or you may choose to use white acrylic paint if you don’t have any gesso handy. Allow to dry completely. Paint all letters with yellow craft paint, allow to dry and repeat.

Once paint is completely dry, lay letters on work surface in front of you. Cut sections of tie dye fabric large enough to completely cover each letter. Each letter should have its own piece of tie dye fabric. Mix together equal parts of water and white craft glue, mixture should have a milky and paintable consistency. Use an old paint brush to apply a coat of glue mixture onto raised surface of the letter where you want the fabric to be. Lay the fabric onto the glue mixture and gently press down. Use old paintbrush to paint another coat of glue mixture over the top of the fabric, thus decoupaging the fabric on. Repeat these steps for each letter and allow to dry completely before moving on to the next step, at least 2-3 hours.

Using a box cutter or razor blade, cut away the excess fabric by stretching out the excess fabric with your fingers and cutting along the edge of the raised letter. To stretch fabric out, gently pull fabric away from the glued edge until taut, then use the box cutter to trim away.

Turn each letter over and hammer a nailess sawtooth picture hanger into the back for hanging on the wall. For letters with two “tops” or longer top edges such as “K” or “T”, use 2 hangers. Hang your tie dye letters on the wall!

16 Responses to Make Tie Dye Wall Letters

Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

These are so fun Amanda, I love this idea! Thanks so much for the how-to, I'll be linking.

Amanda Formaro says:

Thank you Rachel! You are so sweet! :)

artsy_momma says:

Very cool! I love learning new things :)

Megan says:

My daughter would love these! Very cute. Thumbs up! :)

RootsAndWingsCo says:

I AM LOVING THOSE LETTERS! They turned out great! I am loving those colors. I have boys and no girls so everything around here is sans pink (which I too started hating in my preteen years).

Katrina

Amy @ Simply Sugar and Gluten Free says:

What a great post and so easy to do. Your directions are fabulous…gave you a Stumble.

Lorie says:

Those are SO FUN!!!

Hi guys, thank you all so much for the nice comments!! :) And thanks for the stumble Amy!

Rana says:

What a great project. I cannot wait to try this.

Heather@ My Frugal Family says:

Super cute!!

Thank you so much for linking up with the Talented Tuesday link party at My Frugal Family, which is hosted every Tuesday. Please feel free to stop back in every week and post your newest projects!

JulieChats says:

How cool! My 8 yr old would love these!

Just stopping by from Today's Creative to say hi! Just signed up to follow you too. Stop by when you get a chance http://juliechats.blogspot.com. I'm always looking for a few more crafty followers!

Tiff @ Making The World Cuter says:

Super cute!
    -Tiff

Amanda Jo says:

This is wonderful! When I was pregnant, I was given wooden letters (that spelled my daughters name) as a gift. I gave them to a friend who is an amazing artist, along with a piece of my daughter’s crib bedding so she could paint them to match. She did a great job and it started a trend. She has now done this for all of our friends since then. Now, I have a baby shower coming up and I would like to do the same for her. The only problem is…I’m not so artsy. But this is right up my alley. I’m so excited to try this. I think my friend will love it! Thanks!

[...] you might like from me: Make Tie Dye Wall Letters Ladybug Baseball Hat Decoupage Light Bulb [...]

[…] also the one I made the Spiderman Cake for. A couple of years ago I made my daughter some tie dye wall letters, so Kristen wanted to use that idea for Jordan’s […]