Make Your Own Kitchen Utensil Holders

Recently I’ve made several new projects to decorate my kitchen. If you’ve been a reader of this blog for a while, you also know that I have a food blog, Amanda’s Cookin’, and that I love to cook and bake. Because of that, I have loads of different utensils. They were completely consuming my drawer space and getting harder and harder to find, so making these utensil holders just seemed to be a given.

Note: I used my Silhouette machine to create the letters and pictures for these, you could definitely print them out on regular copy paper, spray them with clear matte sealer, cut them out and Mod Podge them on.

I started with these plastic beanie baby boxes (which of course I washed out first, gross). My husband called me from work one day and asked me if I wanted a case of them that someone was getting rid of. Being the craft supply hoarder junkie that I am, I of course said yes!

I apologize that I don’t have step by step photos. My camera batteries choked on me in the middle of the project.

I gave them a quick spray with some primer to help the paint adhere to the plastic. Then I simply painted them with Vintage White acrylic paint. I ended up giving them a total of three coats, allowing them to dry an hour or so between coats. I did use a paintbrush and acrylic paint, you could also use spray paint for this.

If you have a Silhouette machine, you can use or edit the template – get it here. The font that I used was Lithos Pro, so you could recreate these in Word if you like.

Here’s a downloadable PDF file as well.

I printed the designs onto vinyl and added them to the containers, being sure they were all lined up with each other. Once I had attached the vinyl I sprayed them with two coats of acrylic sealer (matte finish), allowing them to dry between coats.

For the fabric liner, I simply cut strips of fabric from an old tablecloth and doubled them up using hot glue. Then I glued the doubled fabric to the outside, tucking the extra inside the containers. I added a simple piece of twine around the outside of the fabric and my utensil holders were complete!

I love the way they turned out. I hope that you like them too! They have been a great way to free up some drawer space and keep all my different utensils separate.

54 Responses to Make Your Own Kitchen Utensil Holders

Nutmeg Nanny says:

I love love love this idea! I'm also loving your kitchen :)

Jessica says:

Haha, Nutmeg Nanny said EXACTLY what I was going to! Thanks for the project idea! I really think we're going to do this.

Suzanne says:

Most excellent idea and project. Functional and sooooo cute. Looks really great in your really great-looking kitchen! Love them!

marla says:

Amanda, you are always soooo creative. These utensil boxes are very elegante!

Fuji Mama says:

SO DARN CUTE! I love them!

* The Design Confidential says:

this is so cute! what a fab rehab of those darn beanie babies things!

Gene says:

Great idea to keep everything in reach,utensils can get out of hand this looks like a good way to have them handy ,Thanks for the Idea.

Deeba PAB says:

Stunning…wish we had so much DIY here.

Shelby says:

I need you to be my neighbor so I can have cool stuff.. LOL.

Thanks you guys! These fall into my "favorite projects" category :)

Sugar Mama says:

I love the look of those, simple and very well done. I use a Longagerbger basket to hold my utensils and I totally regret it as it's really taken a beating.

Found you from Tidy Mom

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Amanda – I really love these! It's really unbelievable how clever you are.

Michelle Cummings says:

so glad i sopped by this morning! this solves my dilemma in my kitchen as I have a ever growing collection of whisks and now when I pull something out of the canister holding my kitchen tools, "everything" comes out!
    thanks!

Tati M says:

Awesome idea. Never thought about separating them utensils and label it. Even though I do use separate stuff for sweets and savory.
    Thank you!

Gillian Mohlman says:

SOOO CUTE! I love it! I love the labels on them. Just beautiful.

Gillian
    kevinandgillian.blogspot.com

Jill @ Blessings of a Lifetime says:

Once again, what a clever girl you are! Love these!

Blessings, — Jill

blessingsofalifetime.blogspot.com

The GruCru says:

I'm so stealing this-I can't ever shut my utensil drawer. Thanks for posting. Tara

Lesley Stein says:

I found your post from a linky party and just had to comment! These look fabulous :-)

I also love your white cabinets… I've been toying with the idea of painting mine since I have red walls- now I think it'll be on my project list.

Kelli says:

love these!!!

i just gave you an award on my blog check it out!

Donnie says:

They really came out great. Looks like you use your Silhouette machine a lot.

Mrs Ergül says:

Amanda, these are way too lovely! I have been inspired!!

The Treasurista says:

The Treasurista said…
    Hop on over to the Party! Would love for you to link-up @

The Treasurista
    Finding and Creating FUN things…

Amanda @ Ninth Street Notions says:

These are absolutely fantastic! I would love to make these for my kitchen because my kitchen drawers are out of control. Come link up at I Made It! Monday at Ninth Street Notions.

April says:

Cute I like these!

Leanne says:

I love these. They turned out great. I'm hosting We're Organized Wdnesday through Saturday and would love for you to join the party.

Mandy @ Creekside Creations says:

Those are great! I've been looking for something different to store my utensils in – thanks for sharing!

Kelly@imperfect homemaking says:

These are so cute! And it is so clever to keep your baking, cooking, serving utensils seperate! Mine are all jumbled in one big container….your way is sooo much better! Good job.

Amanda @ Frills and Frolic says:

1. I am a new follower!
    2. Great name ;)
    3. I love the project and not only have I pinned it to Pinterest. I have featured your project today on my blog. I would love for you to stop by!

Amanda

frillsandfrolic.blogspot.com

Leanne says:

Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday. I'll be featuring this.

B.Large says:

Hey there,
    I'm a new follower and Cassidy my friend found your blog and loved this idea! So I helped her make her own! Check out my blog and see what we did! Please become a follower too of both of us! I'm introducing her to this whole thing and she would be thrilled to have you follow her too! You can go to her link through mine!

kiersten says:

Great project! I'm including it in my Craft links this week

Kimberly Jones says:

What a great idea! These look so adorable in your cute kitchen. Thanks for sharing!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm says:

What a cute idea! So many different uses for this idea too (craft supply holders for my daughter's room come to mind). Thanks so much!

Carolyn says:

The containers looks fantastic. They add so much character to your kitchen.

Lana Bisson says:

I like how the utinsels are seperated. I usually keep all mine in one big ceramic jar.

Numrah says:

this adds up to my list of the craftiest ideas for my new home!

Courtney says:

Who needs Walmart anymore? Thanks for the post :)

Mart says:

I’d love to know how you did the EAT above your cabinets! So Cute!

[...] you’re interested in making these kitchen utensil holders go here and you can see the spice rack revamp [...]

I love doing such things too and am loving this idea. I have converted a copper jug as a spatula/ladle holder in my kitchen, but these look so cute :-)

Peggie Sue says:

I am in love with your little duck!! And your containers are adorable too! lol

[...]                                              via [...]

[...] you remember these kitchen utensil holders that I made from plastic beanie baby containers? I have stacks and stacks of these containers in a [...]

[...] also made these kitchen utensil holders and this egg shell mosaic vase out of these containers, and I have many craft items stored in the [...]

[…] I’m really happy with how the chalkboard menu came out! In fact, I think I’m going to repaint my kitchen now as this Aqua color goes great with the cabinets, but not my wall color. By the way, if you like the utensil holders in the background, you can find the tutorial for those here -> Kitchen Utensil Holders. […]

Cristina says:

I love love love this!!! Can you send me the template? I cannot open it because it says it doesn’t exist. Thank you!

• 48.1

Oh bummer. I just looked and it says no preview available but it appears to still be there as there is a file size listed. I’ve downloaded the file and will email it to you in a zip. I hope it works. If it doesn’t, it’s lost I’m afraid :-/

Nat says:

Hi Amanda,

i so love this idea!

i can’t open the files to get these templates.

would u mind emailing them to me please?

Nat