Make Your Own Kitchen Utensil Holders

Recently I’ve made several new projects to decorate my kitchen. If you’ve been a reader of this blog for a while, you also know that I have a food blog, Amanda’s Cookin’, and that I love to cook and bake. Because of that, I have loads of different utensils. They were completely consuming my drawer space and getting harder and harder to find, so making these utensil holders just seemed to be a given.

Note: I used my Silhouette machine to create the letters and pictures for these, you could definitely print them out on regular copy paper, spray them with clear matte sealer, cut them out and Mod Podge them on.

I started with these plastic beanie baby boxes (which of course I washed out first, gross). My husband called me from work one day and asked me if I wanted a case of them that someone was getting rid of. Being the craft supply hoarder junkie that I am, I of course said yes!

I apologize that I don’t have step by step photos. My camera batteries choked on me in the middle of the project.

I gave them a quick spray with some primer to help the paint adhere to the plastic. Then I simply painted them with Vintage White acrylic paint. I ended up giving them a total of three coats, allowing them to dry an hour or so between coats. I did use a paintbrush and acrylic paint, you could also use spray paint for this.

If you have a Silhouette machine, you can use or edit the template – get it here. The font that I used was Lithos Pro, so you could recreate these in Word if you like.

Here’s a downloadable PDF file as well.

I printed the designs onto vinyl and added them to the containers, being sure they were all lined up with each other. Once I had attached the vinyl I sprayed them with two coats of acrylic sealer (matte finish), allowing them to dry between coats.

For the fabric liner, I simply cut strips of fabric from an old tablecloth and doubled them up using hot glue. Then I glued the doubled fabric to the outside, tucking the extra inside the containers. I added a simple piece of twine around the outside of the fabric and my utensil holders were complete!

I love the way they turned out. I hope that you like them too! They have been a great way to free up some drawer space and keep all my different utensils separate.

Comments

1. Jessica says

Haha, Nutmeg Nanny said EXACTLY what I was going to! Thanks for the project idea! I really think we're going to do this.

2. Suzanne says

Most excellent idea and project. Functional and sooooo cute. Looks really great in your really great-looking kitchen! Love them!

3. Gene says

Great idea to keep everything in reach,utensils can get out of hand this looks like a good way to have them handy ,Thanks for the Idea.

4. Sugar Mama says

I love the look of those, simple and very well done. I use a Longagerbger basket to hold my utensils and I totally regret it as it's really taken a beating.

Found you from Tidy Mom

5. Michelle Cummings says

so glad i sopped by this morning! this solves my dilemma in my kitchen as I have a ever growing collection of whisks and now when I pull something out of the canister holding my kitchen tools, "everything" comes out!
    thanks!

6. Tati M says

Awesome idea. Never thought about separating them utensils and label it. Even though I do use separate stuff for sweets and savory.
    Thank you!

7. Jill @ Blessings of a Lifetime says

Once again, what a clever girl you are! Love these!

Blessings, — Jill

blessingsofalifetime.blogspot.com

8. Lesley Stein says

I found your post from a linky party and just had to comment! These look fabulous :-)

I also love your white cabinets… I've been toying with the idea of painting mine since I have red walls- now I think it'll be on my project list.

9. Leanne says

I love these. They turned out great. I'm hosting We're Organized Wdnesday through Saturday and would love for you to join the party.

10. Mandy @ Creekside Creations says

Those are great! I've been looking for something different to store my utensils in – thanks for sharing!

11. Kelly@imperfect homemaking says

These are so cute! And it is so clever to keep your baking, cooking, serving utensils seperate! Mine are all jumbled in one big container….your way is sooo much better! Good job.

12. Amanda @ Frills and Frolic says

1. I am a new follower!
    2. Great name ;)
    3. I love the project and not only have I pinned it to Pinterest. I have featured your project today on my blog. I would love for you to stop by!

Amanda

frillsandfrolic.blogspot.com

13. B.Large says

Hey there,
    I'm a new follower and Cassidy my friend found your blog and loved this idea! So I helped her make her own! Check out my blog and see what we did! Please become a follower too of both of us! I'm introducing her to this whole thing and she would be thrilled to have you follow her too! You can go to her link through mine!

14. Laurie@The Baking Bookworm says

What a cute idea! So many different uses for this idea too (craft supply holders for my daughter's room come to mind). Thanks so much!

15. Cristina says

I love love love this!!! Can you send me the template? I cannot open it because it says it doesn’t exist. Thank you!

• says

Oh bummer. I just looked and it says no preview available but it appears to still be there as there is a file size listed. I’ve downloaded the file and will email it to you in a zip. I hope it works. If it doesn’t, it’s lost I’m afraid :-/

16. Nat says

Hi Amanda,

i so love this idea!

i can’t open the files to get these templates.

would u mind emailing them to me please?

Nat

17. Edie says

Very neat idea. I have several pots from amaryllis kits that I use to hold utensils but they are just dumped in there. I like the way you organized them and I am going to decorate them the way you did.