Plastic Lid Monsters

Plastic Lid Monsters

I love, love, love monsters! They are so fun and so dang cute, I mean really.. who could resist such cute faces?? Monsters are certainly great any time of the year, but with Halloween right around the corner this is a great craft to make with your kids. I try to make as many projects as I can using recycled materials, so using up several of my plastic lids made me smile.

You probably remember my plastic lid ladybugs, which were what inspired me to make these little cuties. Of course I’ve posted several monster crafts before, so if you are looking for more projects be sure to check out all my monster craft ideas.

Tip: Keep a container with a lid or a gallon zipper bag to collect plastic lids from milk jugs, orange juice cartons, and other juice containers. Then when it’s craft day, pour the lids out on the table and let the kids decorate them!

Plastic Lid MonstersI originally made these little monsters for ModernMom.com, they have a fun series called Wednesday Crafternoon. You can find me over their once a month. :)

I started by sketching some faces, but you can work willy nilly if you want.

Add the eyes with some white glue first.

I have several kinds of googly eyes. Some girly ones with eyelashes, some with colored backgrounds, and some with colored pupils.

You can draw mouths on white craft foam, leaving the teeth areas white, then just cut them out and glue on.

Plastic Lid Monsters
Author: Amanda Formaro
Ingredients
  • Supplies:
  • Plastic lids from milk and juice jugs
  • Googly eyes
  • Craft foam or construction paper
  • Chenille stems (optional)
  • Tools:
  • White craft glue
  • Black marker
  • Scissors
Instructions
  1. To begin, you’ll need your plastic lids and some monster face ideas! I drew a few on paper, but if your kids prefer, they can work off the cuff and create as they go. Just set the supplies in front of them and let them create.
  2. Position the eyes first. Once you are happy with their placement, glue them in place.
  3. Next create the mouths. You can cut them from craft foam or construction paper and use a black marker to help with lines and teeth.
  4. Glue the foam features in place.
  5. If you like, you can trim chenille stems into small eyebrows and glue them on as well.
  6. For younger children simply glue on wiggle eyes and draw the mouths on with a marker and a white paint pen.
Notes

These make cute magnets too! Line the inside of the lid with some white glue then fill it with modeling clay. Use some instant grab glue to attach a circle of thin cardboard to the clay then attach a magnet.

Plastic Lid Monsters

Comments

1. says

These are too fun! What a great idea…and thrifty too. :) My son loooves monsters. We made a monster mirror last week and monster pillows yesterday. He would love this project!

amy
    oneartmama.blogspot.com

2. says

wow, i love this so much! the monsters are the cutest. my niece would love these. totally going to make these with her soon!

i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

thanks so much for sharing!

3. Holly says

Hey there Amanda…ust finished making a candy corn pin sample for my after-school kids to make next week or perhaps the week after..they look so cute. The crazier the better I guess which brings me to your M O N S T E R S .bbboooooooooooooooooooooo,,,,real cute and yet so easy for the “angels” to make..thanks! Hve a great rest of the week! ~ Holly

4. says

Thanks for sharing this cute idea. Do you use the finished lids for anything in particular?

I found this post through Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts.

• Amanda Formaro says

Thanks for the pin Kristi! Will checking out your site too, I also own Fun Family Crafts and am always looking for great ideas to feature ;)

5. says

Hey Amanda! I LOVE all your ideas, and most especially that so many involve recycling. Thank you so much for sharing. I’m a teacher and was wanting to create a graphing or some kind of math sheet to go along with this craft. Would it be okay to do that and share in a blog post that gives you credit and links back to this post? Thanks!

• Amanda Formaro says

Hi Tabitha, how fun, thanks for asking. Yes, and please do stop back by and let me know when you do so I can come take a look!

6. says

love these sooooo much, can’t wait to make some. pinning these!

would love it if you could share this on Serenity Saturday link party over at serenityyou.blogspot.com

xx

7. jj says

omg all these cute monsters to make i cant wait to do these projects with my kids great website :-) bookmarking this so i can come back soon