Plastic Lid Monsters

Plastic Lid Monsters

I love, love, love monsters! They are so fun and so dang cute, I mean really.. who could resist such cute faces?? Monsters are certainly great any time of the year, but with Halloween right around the corner this is a great craft to make with your kids. I try to make as many projects as I can using recycled materials, so using up several of my plastic lids made me smile.

You probably remember my plastic lid ladybugs, which were what inspired me to make these little cuties. Of course I’ve posted several monster crafts before, so if you are looking for more projects be sure to check out all my monster craft ideas.

Tip: Keep a container with a lid or a gallon zipper bag to collect plastic lids from milk jugs, orange juice cartons, and other juice containers. Then when it’s craft day, pour the lids out on the table and let the kids decorate them!

Plastic Lid MonstersI originally made these little monsters for ModernMom.com, they have a fun series called Wednesday Crafternoon. You can find me over their once a month. :)

I started by sketching some faces, but you can work willy nilly if you want.

Add the eyes with some white glue first.

I have several kinds of googly eyes. Some girly ones with eyelashes, some with colored backgrounds, and some with colored pupils.

You can draw mouths on white craft foam, leaving the teeth areas white, then just cut them out and glue on.

Plastic Lid Monsters
Author: Amanda Formaro
Ingredients
  • Supplies:
  • Plastic lids from milk and juice jugs
  • Googly eyes
  • Craft foam or construction paper
  • Chenille stems (optional)
  • Tools:
  • White craft glue
  • Black marker
  • Scissors
Instructions
  1. To begin, you’ll need your plastic lids and some monster face ideas! I drew a few on paper, but if your kids prefer, they can work off the cuff and create as they go. Just set the supplies in front of them and let them create.
  2. Position the eyes first. Once you are happy with their placement, glue them in place.
  3. Next create the mouths. You can cut them from craft foam or construction paper and use a black marker to help with lines and teeth.
  4. Glue the foam features in place.
  5. If you like, you can trim chenille stems into small eyebrows and glue them on as well.
  6. For younger children simply glue on wiggle eyes and draw the mouths on with a marker and a white paint pen.
Notes

These make cute magnets too! Line the inside of the lid with some white glue then fill it with modeling clay. Use some instant grab glue to attach a circle of thin cardboard to the clay then attach a magnet.

Plastic Lid Monsters

63 Responses to Plastic Lid Monsters

Why didn’t I think of this? I have so many lids! Another wonderful idea!

WOW!! I love those! Such a simple idea, but so effective. xx

These are too cute and very creative!

Stephanie says:

These are super cute! What a great way to reuse lids!

Oooh I love these and so would my son! They would make great fridge magnets too!

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

• 5.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

Thanks Maggy! Yes there are instructions to make them into magnets in the notes of the printable version :)

Amy says:

These are too fun! What a great idea…and thrifty too. :) My son loooves monsters. We made a monster mirror last week and monster pillows yesterday. He would love this project!

amy
    oneartmama.blogspot.com

Pamela says:

This is such a great idea. I am going to start collecting lids today, so my boys can make there own monsters. I am just in love with this craft.

Lindy@ItsyBitsyPaper says:

Love! I’d be thrilled if you’d link up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party.

Bailey K. says:

wow, i love this so much! the monsters are the cutest. my niece would love these. totally going to make these with her soon!

i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

thanks so much for sharing!

Holly says:

Hey there Amanda…ust finished making a candy corn pin sample for my after-school kids to make next week or perhaps the week after..they look so cute. The crazier the better I guess which brings me to your M O N S T E R S .bbboooooooooooooooooooooo,,,,real cute and yet so easy for the “angels” to make..thanks! Hve a great rest of the week! ~ Holly

Kami says:

So cute! I love the girl kissing one! :)

Yadira says:

Thanks for sharing this cute idea. Do you use the finished lids for anything in particular?

I found this post through Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts.

Very cute. Wiggly eyes are wonderful! I’m pinning this. Thanks!

• 13.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

Thanks for the pin Kristi! Will checking out your site too, I also own Fun Family Crafts and am always looking for great ideas to feature ;)

OH, these are sooo fun! We have a monster theme coming up & I am saving this idea!!! Must start collecting bottle caps right away!

Would love to have you share on the Sunday Showcase – it’s still open!

Bern

Tabitha says:

Hey Amanda! I LOVE all your ideas, and most especially that so many involve recycling. Thank you so much for sharing. I’m a teacher and was wanting to create a graphing or some kind of math sheet to go along with this craft. Would it be okay to do that and share in a blog post that gives you credit and links back to this post? Thanks!

• 15.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

Hi Tabitha, how fun, thanks for asking. Yes, and please do stop back by and let me know when you do so I can come take a look!

Love this! what a fantastic idea so creative and fun. Come link up to scrappy saturdays over at candacecreations.blogspot.com I’d love to see you there!

Candace

Amanda, these are so clever and cute! What a great idea for reusing those lids, and I love the idea of using them for magnets, too.

Vsiting from TT&J! :)

Nikki says:

These are adorable. My dughter would love them! Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party! http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/10/bedazzle-me-monday-2_02.html

Have a great day!!

Natasha says:

love these sooooo much, can’t wait to make some. pinning these!

would love it if you could share this on Serenity Saturday link party over at serenityyou.blogspot.com

xx

[...] Crafts by Amanda: plastic lid monsters (great for kids to make) [...]

Hey! I featured this today! Check it out here.

Grab a “featured” if you’d like.

Have a great weekend!

xoxo

Allison @ House of Hepworths

How stinkin’ cute are these!!!!

GOOOOOD Morning this Saturday- I wanted to let you know that your “Talent” was featured over on COM today. xo-winks-jen

Amy says:

These are fabulous! I would be so excited if you’d link them here:

Tabitha says:

Hey Amanda! My students made these this past week, and it was a blast! Thanks so much for sharing. Here’s the link to the blog post – Monster Caps in the Classroom

I’d love for you to check it out! There were some creative ones!

Vera says:

Cute! You could glue magnets inside the cap and have adorable fridge magnets!

My daughter is going to love this idea!

Candy says:

Such a great idea and a wonderful use for all those leftover peanut butter lids! Thanks so much for sharing!

[...] de monstruosos se nos presentan estos tapones! Es una idea de Crafts by Amanda. [...]

[...] Kupak-szörnyek craftsbyamanda.com [...]

Hi! How clever are you! love the rededicated milk lids and bread ties! D

jj says:

omg all these cute monsters to make i cant wait to do these projects with my kids great website :-) bookmarking this so i can come back soon

These are so cute and my little ones are loving working with googly eyes right now.

Just wanted to let you know that I’ve included your Plastic Lid Monsters in my Halloween Kid Craft round-up. You can find the post here: http://beanbugcrafts.blogspot.com/2012/10/15-halloween-kid-crafts.html

Thanks,
    Anna

[...] Have you saved plastic lids around your house, looking for the perfect craft? Now you can make your own upcycled monsters! [...]

Teresa says:

Do you have a craft for the plastic lids from coffee creamer bottles?
    Thanks.

[...] Plastic Lid Monsters Plastic Lid Ladybugs Plastic Yogurt Lid Mobile – El hada de papel Plastic Lid Birdies – Meet the Dubiens [...]

[...] Crafts by Amanda has a brilliant idea for using old lids from bottles to make monster faces.  Again, you could [...]

[…] If you’re looking for more fun Halloween crafts, try these colorful pasta monsters or these plastic lid monsters! […]