Dried pasta is a great craft supply! What’s even more fun is tinting it so that you have a colorful medium to work with, and your kids will love the process. Then when they are dry you can make all sorts of craft projects, like these cute little pasta monsters. Perfect for Halloween!
Coloring the pasta is easy, but there is drying time involved. So if you are pressed for time you could simply use plain dried pasta. But if you do have the time, the process is fun and kids will love it.
[Full printable instructions below] You will cover the pasta will rubbing alcohol in a sandwich bag, then add some food coloring. Let it soak for 5 minutes, drain, then let it dry for a few hours.
I used a hot glue gun for this, but if you prefer, you could use instant grab glue which attaches a little faster than plain white glue.
Have fun, and Happy Halloween!
Colorful Pasta Monsters
- Various shapes of dried pasta we used Mostaccioli and elbows
- Rubbing alcohol
- Food coloring
- Plastic zipper sandwich bags
- Instant grab glue or hot glue gun
- Googly eyes
- To color the pasta, place a handful of dried noodles into a sandwich bag. Pour enough rubbing alcohol into the bag to just barely cover the pasta. Add food coloring, 4-5 drops is fine. Squeeze air out of the bag and zip it closed. Knead the bag a little to make sure all pasta is covered and the color is distributed. Let the pasta soak for 5 minutes.
- Holding the bag over the drain of your sink with the water running off to the side, poke or cut a hole in the corner of the bag. Allow the colored alcohol to drain from the bag. Place the colored pasta on paper towels and allow them to dry completely, 2-3 hours will do the trick.
- When pasta is dry, glue pasta into different monster shapes and attach googly eyes.
- Tulip Wreath - March 21, 2023
- Cardboard Tube Bunny Rabbit Family - March 7, 2023
- St. Patrick’s Day Activity Sheets - February 28, 2023
Amy Huntley says
haha! These are clever!
These little “monsters” look adorable! Really must make some for the grands!