Cardboard Tube Giraffe

This adorable giraffe is made completely from toilet paper cardboard tubes and some printed felt. You could paint the tubes instead, but I found the printed felt at Hobby Lobby on sale, couldn’t pass that up! He’s just busy nommin’ on my bushes… :)

There’s a little story behind this giraffe. This was originally intended for Kaboose, one of my day jobs, but the aim there is to create easy crafts for small children. While I intended this to be easy, it ended up being more complicated than I thought it would. Now really, it’s not hard to make, but the big challenge comes in where I can’t use dangerous items such as craft knives, hot glue guns, etc. So, getting this giraffe together without a glue gun was almost impossible. I did manage to make it work without a glue gun, but by that time, it had gone from the easy craft in my head, and morphed into just far too many steps for little kids.

There was no way that the white glue was going to hold. There was nothing but thin round edges of cardboard tubes for it to grab, so no go there. That led to me inserting jumbo craft sticks into the body parts in order to keep the pieces together. Even that made for a wobbly giraffe, so instead, I made something easier for Kaboose, and kept this cute little guy for myself. :)

In the instructions below I skip all the craft stick mumbo jumbo, simply because using a glue gun to attach all the body parts works perfectly, eliminating the need for the craft sticks all together.

Wouldn’t this be just adorable in a baby nursery?? :)

Cardboard Tube Giraffe

6 cardboard tubes
2 sheet giraffe print felt
1/2 sheet white felt
2 large wiggle eyes
shipping or masking tape
white craft glue or felt glue
jumbo craft stick
scissors
24″ white yarn
hot glue gun

Tape 2 of the tubes together, end to end.

Cover with giraffe print felt using white glue.

Cover 3 of the remaining 4 tubes with giraffe print felt and trim the ends.

Stand 2 of the short tubes up on their ends (legs). You will need to cut a half-circle shaped notch in the top of each one. This is where the body will sit. Save the notched out pieces, you will use them to make the ears.

Cut a similar notch at one end of the long tube. This is where the neck will rest on the body.

Take the last tube and cut about 1/3 off, save for another project. Cover the 2/3 tube with white felt. Cut a notch at one end, this is where the head will attach to the top of the neck. Above where the notch is, cut two slits, about 1/2″ long, for the ears. From the notched out giraffe print pieces you have left over, cut two ears and insert them into the slits. Add some glue, set aside to dry.

At the top of the body, above the front leg, cut a slit and insert a jumbo craft stick. This will help keep the neck steady.

Use hot glue to secure all the body pieces together.

Cut white yarn into 3/4″ long pieces. Pipe a generous line of white glue along the back of the neck and up between the ears for the forelock. Stand the pieces of yarn up in the glue, they should stay up. If a few fall, just stand them back up again.

Hope you like him as much as I do! :)

If you like jungle themed crafts, or are just looking for something kid friendly, look at this really cute lion’s face craft that Sherri from Family Crafts at About.com made! Isn’t it adorable? Visit Sherri for the instructions :)

I’m participating in the following craft carnivals. To see some other awesome projects, be sure to visit them!

Comments

1. Ramona says

I love this activity. Card board tubes are a great resource to use for so many arty activities and I hadn't seen this one before. It's great!

2. creativejewishmom.com says

This is just too cute! Would love if you linked to it at Craft Schooling Sunday this week, and I'll feature it next week. all the best!

3. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} says

This is so cute! And would look great in my son's jungle-themed room. I'm going to try it!

I've found that when I don't want to get my glue gun out that the Beacon's 3-in-1 adhesive works almost as well. It very quick drying.

4. the momma says

That is really cute! Giraffes are definitely up there as one of my favorite animals…what? Why can't a 30 year old have a favorite animal??? Seriously, if you have kids you get asked those sort of q's all.the.time. (what's your favorite…color? food? animal? sport?) So you'd BETTER have an answer ready!
    Great project!

5. Amy Bowman says

we have a whole bag full of tp/paper towel rolls! this is so very cute and will help us use up our stash. Thanks for linking to "AP Tuesdays!"

6. Denise Marie says

this would be cute for a child to play with and for decor at a baby shower or b-day party.

Girl, I bet you dream up this stuff while you sleep. I want to do lightbulb crafts but look at you pulling it off..kuddos!!

7. Abbi says

That is very cute! I love that you recycled. I have a bunch of TP tubes waiting to have something done with them.

8. Allison @ House of Hepworths says

Thanks for linking up to my blog roll!! Sorry it's taken me so long to stop by and say thanks. Busy busy!

That giraffe is so stinkin' ah-dorable!! I have to make one for my kids room.

9. Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity says

Wow! This is Ah-Maze-ING! You are brilliant and incredibly talented. I hope you'll link up to Tot Tuesdays this week (well still under last weeks link). Have a good week! :)

10. Kim @ seven thirty three says

This is so fun! Great activity for my little ones!

Thanks for linking up with What are little boys made of?

11. somedaycrafts says

This is one of the cutest TP roll crafts I have ever seen! I love it. I will feature it next week at the TP roll Categorically Crafting show on Somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

In response to your question about the giveaway, it can be to a website. The link just has to go somewhere!

12. Sara's Sweet Surprise says

Amanda~ It was so nice to see you stroll in for a visit. I hope you enjoyed taking a peek around.

This is quite adorable. I've never seen giraffe print felt before, but we have the misfortune of not having Hobby Lobby's in our area. This would make a great centerpiece for a giraffe or zoo animal themed party. I wonder if you could adapt this idea to a mini version and stuff the rolls with candy for a party favor.

Sweet wishes,
    Sara

13. [email protected] says

That is so cute Amanda, I love it! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

14. Laura says

This is so adorable!! Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day @ along for the ride! Hope to see you back next week!

15. Stephanie Lynn says

This is a wonderful craft for my little guy! Your creativity is simply amazing! Love him! Thanks for linking to the Sunday Showcase! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

16. michelle@somedaycrafts says

Just reminding you that I am featuring this at somedaycrafts categorically crafting show today!

17. BARBARA says

THIS GIRAFFE IS ADORABLE AND BECOME ONE OF MY GRANDDAUGHTER CIERRA’S SUMMER PROJECTS. I LOVE IT AND I KNOW SHE WILL TOO. MAYBE SHE CAN MAKE ONE FOR HER GRANDPA PAUL WHO LOVES GIRAFFE’S ALSO.