Denim Fabric Flowers

I have a growing stack of worn out boy’s blue jeans just waiting to be repurposed. I’ve seen quite a variety of different fabric flowers over the last couple of months, so that got me thinking. What a great way to use up some of these old blue jeans!

While I did want some to be classic denim blue, I also wanted to add some fun splashes of color. So I picked up several different colors of Rit and dyed some jeans with yellow, orange, pink, purple, green, and red.

I really didn’t have any sort of pattern in mind, I just kind of winged it and made a bunch of different designs. I combined denim with different fabrics, and even threw in some burlap here and there. For a little more fun, I used the netted plastic from onion and shallot bags I had been saving.

I also spray painted some wooden dowels black to use as stems. I think I’ll make some more and frame them for the wall redo I am working on.

Is this overkill on the pictures?? I was having a hard time with glare.

So if I didn’t already give you way too may pictures to look at, here’s an individual shot of each one.

If you like these, I’m curious if you have a favorite? Mine is the one with the white-polka dotted center and the blue jean strips for petals. My 16 year old daughter’s favorite is the last individual photo here, the denim with the blue and brown fabric and burlap.

These were all made with my trusty glue gun. I’m not much of a seamstress. Not that I couldn’t be, just that I don’t have time for another hobby. :( I wish I did! I’d be making all sorts of stuff. :)

Comments

1. Andy Porter says

So cute! I'm sure that the denim holds it's shape better than other fabric would! Nice!

2. Kristi Flanagan says

Ok these are WAY CUTE! I love them all, but the one you added burlap too is my favorite! Thanks so much for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party and for your help this a.m.!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

3. Rachel says

These are too cute!! I have a bunch of denim scraps lying around, I just may make some very soon.

I'm linkin over from Poppies at Play.

Rachel

4. Jane says

Amanda, I hope you were able to link up to Frugalicious Friday today…so sorry you were having trouble. Ya know, I was wondering why the entries seemed low. Hmmm…I'm off to report this to Brent so he hopefully can fix this thang!

Jane
    Finding Fabulous

5. Amanda says

Thanks Jane, i finally did!

Eva – good question. I have some photos of that step, but basically what I did is hot glue a 2" thin strip of leftover denim around the end of the dowel to create a "seat". Then I hot glued that to the bottom of the flower. Some flowers were flat on the bottom, while some had areas where I could tuck the dowel in a bit.

6. The Mommy Teacher says

Amanda,
    You are sooo creative!! I wish I could post these on Craft Gossip! Can we somehow figure how they are kid appropriate? :) ? Just wanted to let you know that you amaze me all the time!
    Thanks!
    Kristen

7. Amanda says

Thank you Kristen, you are so sweet! I bought this new glue, well it's not new, but new to me, called Beacon's 3 in 1 craft glue. Someone suggested it to me for kid's crafts so you don't have to use a glue gun. The shapes are very easy , so it's just a matter of how they put them together. I definitely don't recommend the glue gun for kids on this one, I burnt myself several times LOL!

8. KKL Primitives says

Now those are just too cute! I have tons of small fabric pieces sitting in a bin – I can have the grandkids make up some of these ( though gramma will use the glue gun) when they are bored……which happens frequently. They can only play so many hands of Go Fish, lol.

Thanks for sharing Amanda!

9. megan says

To cute! My favorite is the blue one with the white plastic netting!
    Happy Mother's Day Amanda!

10. marla {family fresh cooking} says

These flowers are so creative and adorable!!! Thanks for inspiring us :) xo

11. LollyChops says

I love how you combined the different materials together!

They are all so cute I am not sure I can pick a fav!

12. Laura says

What a creative idea. I have lots of denim lying around. Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day!

13. A* says

Cute flowers! I love anything made from denim. I'm with you on fave flower – the white polka dot center with denim strips is so cool!

14. Kim says

These are so cute! I have some denims to cut up so I will have to save my scraps to make some flowers.

15. Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! says

Fun project! Who doesn't have old denim jeans lying around? I love that you made something out of material that you already had around. Thanks for joining Modern Craftswoman Monday. Hope to see you next week, too!
    Rory

16. Stephanie Lynn says

Amanda, These are simply adorable! I love the bright colors you used against the denim. Super cute! Thanks for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

17. Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas says

Hi..I’m Barb…Popping over from Tip junkie. Great idea!! I love to repurpose stuff..isn't it a great feeling? I was going to follow but see I am already a follower of yours.. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @
    santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

18. FLOWERSHOPGURL says

Hi, I am going to have to try to make these with my granddaughter, she will really enjoy this project. Thank you.
    Hugz,
    Kim

19. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} says

Very cute!! I love that you were able to get 6 completely different flowers out of jeans! My fave is the one with the white netting. Cute, cute!

20. Tere says

I love them! Awesome scrap project and very cute!
    Come join my very first link party!
    terelauritsen.blogspot.com

21. Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says

Cute! I love how they're all so different!

Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

22. Kristi Flanagan says

You've been featured! Come grab your button and wear it with pride girl! Of course, come plant more creative seeds on Friday!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

23. Lanie Ree says

Wow, these are awesome. Probably the best use for old denim I've ever seen :)

Thanks for linking this up to A Little Creative Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

24. Amy Bowman says

now I know what to do with all the jeans with holes in them!! these are super cute. Thanks for linking up to "AP Tuesdays!" Hope to see you again tomorrow-I'll be having my first giveaway!!

25. Christine says

I love these flowers, now I know why I have all of those worn out jeans from my boys kicking around. And all of the pictures were fine ;)!!

26. Tammy says

Never thought of making flowers out of old blue jeans. This is very creative. Hope you dont mind but I added your site to my list of blogs on my blog. I recycle household items to make educational activities. I work with young children and teach parenting classes.
    check it out

Tammy Shepherd

27. Edcu8rkids says

I am making my wedding dress from denim. I figured I would have fun since I have been married before and white just doesn't work after 40, lol. I am making a skirt with a slight train and a corset as well as a shrug. I am going to steal your idea and add denim flowers along the back of the bottom of the train! Thanks for your inspiration.

28. JoAnn Burnett says

I am unable to see 47 responses to Denim fabric flowers! I did subscribe and the box continues to come up?? My question is how did you attach the denim,did you cut any holes in denim to slide onto the dowel rod or just glued directly on the rod and did you starch the fabric so it would keep it’s shape and lastly how big are the flowers 3,4 or 5 inches across?
    If I can’t see the 47 post please answer by email I would appreciate!

Thx, JoAnn

• says

Hi JoAnn. Forst of all, thank you for alerting me to the issue with the comments not displaying. I have fixed that and you should be able to see them now. I did not use any fabric stiffener, denim is pretty sturdy and doesn’t need it :) Size: most of them are about 4-inches across, but some are almost 5-inches. As for how I attached them. I went back to see if I had the step photos and I’m afraid those are gone now, it’s been 4 years since I posted this. However, I didn’t cut any holes, I just turned the flower upside down, hot glued the dowel in place, then wrapped around the based of the dowel with a thin strip of denim and secured that with hot glue as well. Hope this helps!