Frog Baseball Hat

Most of you already know about my love for ladybug crafts, but I haven’t told you that I adore frogs almost as much. Last week, when I posted my ladybug baseball hat, I received lots of marvelous comments, but a few stuck out to me. Those were the ones saying they couldn’t get their boys to wear that hat. So, I figured I would make a hat that the boys would love too!

I even got Dominic to model it for me! What a sport :)

Frogs are so cute, but honestly, other than the tree frog painted jar I made several years ago, I’ve made no other frogs! It’s high time to change that I think, so don’t be surprised if I post more frog projects in the future. :)

Frog Baseball Hat

You will need

green baseball hat
acrylic paint: black, white, spring green, foliage green
textile medium
round stencil sponges
black Sharpie marker
toothpick
3″x1″ piece of red felt
instant grab glue

What you do

The textile medium will turn your acrylic paint into fabric paint. So if you ever need to wash your hat, you can. However, keep in mind that the tongue probably won’t survive and you may need to create a new one should the need arise to launder it. To mix, use one part texile medium and 2 parts paint.

Dip large round applicator in foliage green paint and gently scrape off excess. Press applicator onto hat above the bill, gently turn the applicator in a circular motion to make the circle larger. Do this on both sides for the eyes.

While the green eyes are drying, dip large round applicator into spring green paint. Leave some excess paint on this time, then turn and drag the applicator across the hat in random places.

Use large round applicator dipped in white paint and dot two eyes onto the foliage green circles. When the white is dry, use a smaller round applicator dipped in black paint to dot on two pupils.

Use a black Sharpie marker to draw exaggerated eyebrows to look like a frog’s bulging eyes.

Dip toothpick in black paint and add the nostrils to the bill.

Cut a forked tongue from red felt and glue to the underside of the bill.

Don’t they make a cute couple?? ;)

More you might like:
Ladybug Baseball Hat
Cardboard Tube Giraffe
Plastic Lid Ladybugs

From the internet:
Frog crafts from Family Crafts at About.com
Frog visor from Making Friends
Frog activity themes from ChildFun
Frog hat I made for Kaboose
Crochet frog hat from Sandyfroglegs Designs

Comments

1. Laura says

These are adorable! They make the cutest couple!!

Thanks for sharing at Saturday is Crafty Day!
    Laura @ along for the ride

2. [email protected] says

That is so cute! I love the tongue. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

3. Amanda says

Thanks everyone, glad you think the boys would like him! :)

Rachel – thank you so much! Always thrilled to be featured on your site :)

4. Stephanie Lynn says

Very cute! Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a wonderul week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

5. Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! says

This is so great…the variations on this are endless. I'd love for you to share your hats on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

6. creativejewishmom/Sara says

So cute Amanda, thanx! Great to see you on Craft Schooling Sunday as always! I really appreciate your dropping by! all the best.

7. Lanie Ree says

Haha, this is really cute. And funny. I love the tongue.

Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy Session at Life in the Pitts

8. Gail Griner Golden says

I think you are amazingly creative. Love the frog and ladybug hats. Could you make a monkey?

9. Kara@ Creations by Kara says

Both of them are totally adorable. I wonder if I could get my 6yo to wear one. He would look so cute. :)

10. Anonymous says

Great hats! Do you have any other ideas for baseball caps. My group decorates hats for children that are having chemotherapy treatments. They will enjoy making these hats!!! Thanks!!