DIY Milk Glass Cake Plate

I think milk glass is one of the prettiest things on the planet. I don’t entertain much, so I don’t need lovely items to show off my food to guests too often, but because of my food blog, Amanda’s Cookin’, I need these type of lovelies for food props!

I’ve wanted a milk glass cake plate for a long time. I’ve been scouring thrift stores and antique shops, looking for just the right one. I’ve found a few in my travels, but they really weren’t what I was looking for, and I wasn’t willing to pay between $75 and $100 to get what I wanted.

I’m sure you’ve seen the posts around the internet, people making cupcake stands and candle pedestals out of plates and candlestick holders. Well I did something similar. I came across a milk glass plate in one of my favorite thrifty antique stores that was perfect for a cake. It measured 10″ across, not counting the decorative border, and the best part was that the plate itself was flat. There was no dip in the center like you find on a typical dinner plate.

Now all I needed was a stand. There were plenty of milk glass candlesticks in several heights and sizes, but none that seemed wide enough to hold the plate, especially with a cake on top. So I kept looking around, and then I found it. A pretty little milk glass candy dish.

I removed the lid from the dish, turned the dish upside down, and placed the cake on top. Perfect!

The woman who runs the store was overly impressed by my ingenuity, and complimented me several times on being able to see a cake plate from these two items. He he. If she only knew what my mind sees from anything my kids want to throw in the garbage!

All I did was turn the plate over, find the center and make a mark. Then, with a little help from Gorilla Glue and a stack of cookbooks to create the bond the glue needs, I was able to create my beloved milk glass cake plate.

If you haven’t used Gorilla Glue before and are not sure what I meant above, here’s the deal. Gorilla Glue requires a bond because as the glue begins to work, it expands. If there were no bond, the glue would expand, pushing the two surfaces apart. A bond, whether it be that the two surfaces being glued together are clamped into a vice, or they are held together by the weight of several awesome cookbooks, must be in place for this to work. See the white foamy looking stuff? That’s the expanded glue.

The cost?

$15 — the plate
$6 — the candy dish

$21.00 – I can live with that :)

Here’s the first cake I displayed on my plate – Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake (I know, right?!) and then I made my own concoction from some mulberries I picked from my own tree, and that I call Vanilla Bean Mulberry Cake. :)

Stumbles, shares and faves are always appreciated! :)

Comments

1. Dawn says

Love it, great job! Great cookbooks as well. =) I'm a huge milk glass fan and I'm glad your post was just before mine at TGC – impossible to miss it!

~Dawn @ BeatUntilFluffy.com

2. Tami says

Your cake plate turned out so beautiful! I've been searching for clear pieces to make a mini version of this for cupcakes for a while now.

When I got married, my Mom gave me her white milk glass that she had collected over the years. If I had the space to display something like this, I would be making one of these immediately.

Nice job!!

3. Patti says

How beautiful! I can't live without Gorilla Glue!
    I have made cake plates, but never thought of a candy dish! Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

4. Ann @ makethebestofthings says

I love milk glass and your combo looks marvelous. Thanks for the pics and the tip about gorilla glue. I saw one post where the foaming action really screwed up a project, so it is very good to know! Your milk glass project is beautiful.

5. Amanda@The Hand Me Down House says

That turned out just lovely! I love milk glass – it's so elegant looking. Great job!! :)

6. Linda@Coastal Charm says

"COOL" idea…looks awesome! Thanks for showing it off at NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS!

Blessings,
    Linda

7. Melissa says

It turned out lovely. I have five of those candy dishes because I think they are way too pretty…I can't believe you dismantled one. ;)

8. Makalani Adolpho, PLC says

I too have been wanting a cake plate. I have not found a plate or base that I have liked yet on my treasure searches. I love how yours turned out. Visiting by way of Tip Junkie. ~MakazHome.com

9. Jessica @ This Blessed Life says

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Love what you did! The top plate was a great find!

10. The Answer Is Chocolate says

I'm on the lookout for something similar. I am still figuring out the right amount of gorilla glue and weight to use because I still get too much bubbling.

11. Chase and McKell says

I ♥ milk glass, it's so pretty! I want to start collecting it. I love your stand, gorgeous.

*come take a looksy at my blog too if you'd like :)

12. Ashleigh says

I really love this. I love cake plates and milk glass, so this would be the best of both worlds for me!!!! Fabulous idea.

13. Ingrid says

That's awesome Amanda! I've got some gorilla glue but didn't know about the bonding thing. Thanks!
    ~ingrid

14. Ingrid says

Btw, where do you buy all the different sized mason jars? Thanks! Oh, and did you get my email on your crazy delicious blackberry pie bars?
    ~ingrid

15. Michella says

I LOVE IT!!! Very ingenious indeed :)) I love milk glass too!!! I am actually listing some in my Etsy shop in the next day or so. Would love for you to visit!!
    ~ Michella ~
    ~ ~ xo ~ ~

16. Sew Much Ado says

That turned out great! Makes me want to head to the thrift store so I can make my own :).

Thanks for linking up to We Did It! Wednesday!

17. Stephanie@cre8tive says

Seriously, I KNEW I should of bought that plate today at the thrift shop! Had it in my hand and everything, but then put it back. It just looked familiar and in the back of my mind I thought I had seen someone, somewhere do something with it. And here you are! The bummer part was that it was only $4.99…what an idiot, I should of just snagged it, like I don't already have stuff I haven't put to use, sheesh. Evidently I loved your idea, when I first saw it, now that I look at again, I love it even more!

18. Madigan at madiganmade says

This looks so good! Love it. I'm lucky enough to have my grandmother's milk glass cake stand. But this is a great solution.

19. Emily @ Finding My Aloha says

Very pretty! I love milk glass too! I have been waiting to make a stand out of tea cups and plates!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a note! Glad you liked my laundry room! :)

20. - Brittany says

Your cake stand is beautiful! I've been searching for a cake stand too. I found one at Goodwill. It was glass, but then my sitter saw it and declared she had to have it because she had a cake stand lid that went perfect with it. I told her she could have it if I could borrow it sometimes ;-).

Brittany

21. Dishesdone says

Found your blog from A Grateful Prayer and a Thankful Heart! Your cake plate is beautiful! What a great idea!

22. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer says

Thank you so much! I have been wanting a cake plate but hate the prices….I am a MDJ=Major Deal Junky. Thrift store had a milk glass plate for $2 and found a milk glass mini pedestal bowl for $1= $3! Awesome! I love it.

23. TraceyJoy says

Sad to say I had no idea what milk glass was until right now. I've seen it before at grandma house in her china closet but I didn't know what it was except pretty glass & you didn't touch it, lol. What a lovely cake stand. I would have never come up with that idea. Just made me fall in love with milk glass Amanda = )

24. Emily Anne Knight Williamson says

I ran across this post months ago and LOVED it… I looked everywhere for milk glass… with no luck. So while I was browsing the dish isle at the dollar tree the other day… the light bulb in my head went off and I remembered this tutorial. I used clear glass and it turned out great. I used a plate and a candle holder for the cake plate and I used a candle holder and a bowl for a candy dish. Ringing in at 4 bucks… who could beat that for a useful diy?
    I blogged about my project and linked to this post as my inspiration.
    Check me out here:

25. buddiegirl says

Have you ever thought of weaving ribbon through the openings of your cake plate that would coordinate with whatever you are serving? I think it would look really great, especially for themed occasions like Christmas, Valentine's Day or Easter.

26. Joy @ Joy Of Desserts says

Came by your blog by way of Gloria at Canella's Kitchen for the Secret Recipe Club, and saw this beautiful pie plate at the bottom of your blog. It's very well done with the candy dish for the foot.