Angry Birds from Cardboard Tubes

I have a confession to make. I’ve definitely seen a few crafts and some recipes made with this “angry birds” theme, but I didn’t know what it was. See, I don’t have an iPhone, so I had no idea what all the fuss was about. The Angry Bird craze is sweeping the internet, so I figured I’d hop on board. Since I’ve been on a cardboard tube craft kick lately, these were just a given!

Update: Now through April 7th you can bid on this set of Angry Birds to benefit the relief effort in Japan. I have donated these to the Helping Japan Auction at Craft Gossip

I have to credit Melissa over at The Chocolate Muffin Tree for the idea. After viewing my cardboard tube chicks she left a comment saying I should make some Angry Birds. So I did! Thanks for the inspiration Melissa, these were fun!

I don’t really have a tutorial, I’ll just tell you what I did. Obviously I cut up a paper towel roll into six pieces then painted each one, inside and out. For the beaks and the pig’s crown, I cut a section out of another cardboard tube and painted it with a yellow orange.

I had already sketched all of these on paper. I had to do a little searching because I did see another bird (see the one X’d out?) that wasn’t in the Angry Birds screenshots or trailer. So I ended up ditching that one.

I used a round sponge applicator for the pigs chin and nose and for the white bird’s cheeks. I used the end of a paintbrush handle to add the eyes.

I used a tiny paintbrush for the “teeth” in the beaks and a colored pencil to draw the lines. I took some construction paper and painted it to match the tubes to make the tufts of hair, eyebrows and pigs ears. Glue stick to put it all together :)

That’s it, hope you like them! :)

55 Responses to Angry Birds from Cardboard Tubes

Domestic Goddesque says:

I totally love these: I've heard so much about Angry Birds although have never seen it in action. Who needs to when you have these??

Elegantpaws says:

Hi Amanda, these are so cute, hee hee. Recently I made some Angry Birds costumes for some friends. check them out if you like!

I love your blog, thanks for the inspiration! xx

Kat says:

These are so cute! You gotta check out the game. It's very addictive though. You may find that you'll have no time for your cool projects once you start playing the game.

Kudos Kitchen says:

These are so great Amanda! So much fun and they look just like 'dem angry birds :)

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree says:

These turned out GREAT! Glad to see that you did these!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree says:

Thanks for mentioning me too…I just noticed that you did! Yay! They make me smile and my daughter and husband are looking at the screen now and Absolutely LOVE them! They are huge fans of these Angry Birds! Much cheaper than the ones at the Mall!!!!!!!

staci @ lizard n ladybug says:

must.make.these!

My 4 year old is NUTSO over Angry Birds – he will love these!!

Laura says:

These are adorable!

Tami says:

OMG Amanda!! These are adorable!! You've done it again with the faces — they look real and you could swear that they're looking right at us!!

Love 'em!!

Kristina says:

The one x'ed out is real!! He's a boomerang! :) These look so simliar to the real thing! Great job!

Liz says:

You have been on a roll! I like these the best. I have an iPod touch and my six year-old son loves Angry Birds. He'll love these too!

Maria says:

Josh is obsessed with Angry Birds. I don't get it:) Cute though!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree says:

Saw these over at Craft Gossip and glad to see they are being auctioned off for a Great cause!

MoneySavingEnthusiast says:

Very Clever. Kids love that game. I'm sure they will love the craft too. School psychologists sometimes use puppets to help kids deal with feelings. I'll have to show people at my school.

Megan says:

My goodness Amanda, you have a lot of cardboard tubes. I must say they are now all adorable.

Barbara says:

If you ever play the game…it's addicting. These are really cute!

Condo Blues says:

Wow. For not playing the game (obsessive!) or knowing what the Angry Birds crazy is, they are perfect. They look just like the birds and that nasty piggy.

Tiffany Yang says:

Wow, they are super cute, and… ha ha….they sure look angry!

RedTedArt says:

Oh my, you really are a clever lady! Love your angry birds, they are brilliant!!!

Thanks for linking to Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Creative Contentment says:

Truth is a live over seas and have never heard of angry birds other than truely angry birds..however I love making things out of cardboard tubes and am a compulsive tp roll collecter. Thank you for this delightful post. :) much care.
    If you have a moment check out this post

~The Bargain Babe says:

Love these! Angry Birds is a fun game. :)

Amanda Leonard says:

My step mother loves Angry Birds. She downloads ever little expansion or holiday version. It is pretty funny stuff.

Great project!

Orange Peanut says:

I'm stopping by from Someday Crafts "whatever goes Wednesday." How fun is this!!! I have over a hundred tp tubes waiting for a fun project and this may just be what they were meant to be! Thanks!

Suzy says:

So cute!! I would be thrilled if you stopped by my Commercial Break Thursday at http://www.suzyssitcom.com and link this project!

suzy

Rachel at Sun Scholars says:

Oh my gosh, those are so awesome! I'd love to have you share them at my For the Kids Friday Link Party (still open). I love them!

Anel @ T.N.C. mom says:

my kids love this game so I'm gonna totally try to make my own and you can't even tell they're tubes. awesome!

Heidi @ Mom's Crafty Space says:

I adore these! I featured them on my Fun Finds Friday today, so feel free to stop by and grab a Featured button!

Ian says:

The birds look fantastic. Well done for being so creative.

Jenny says:

Great idea. I'm now thinking of making them to use as napkin rings for my son's birthday party.

Rebekah says:

Thank you so much for sharing these. We just celebrated my twin boys' 8th bday and used these as decorations around the cake table. We originally had them as balloon holders, but all the balloons popped in this heat. Had I known that these were going to take center stage above the King Pig pinata, I would've made one for every child. They all loved them, so I will be sending the directions with the thank you notes. (I used construction paper vs. paint.) Thank you again!

How fun Rebekah! Thanks so much for telling me!!

sofie says:

They look amazing, inspires me to craft something with my kids, they are crazy about angry birds.

[...] Angry Birds from cardboard tubes from Crafts by Amanda [...]

They’re awesome, I’ll show “E” I know she’ll love them! I think she may have seen them on Pinterest.
    Thanks for sharing your link with us : )

Just checked with “E” and she does remember seeing your tubes on Pinterest so I made sure to revise the post and include a link back to you with credit for the idea! She made hers with cut paper : )

Happy Crafting!

Fondly,
    MaryLea

[...] has instructions for very cute Angry Birds made from cardboard paper towel tubes that the kids can make for themselves to use as pencil holders. To simplify everything for the [...]

I linked this post to our Angry Birds paper bag game that we made over the weekend. Love these! http://www.toddlerapproved.com/2012/02/paper-bag-angry-birds.html

Emily E says:

Do you have an etsy shop? Would you be willing to make another set? My son wants an Angry Birds bday party and I feel like Im running out of time to make everything myself. Grad school, mommy-hood and wife-dom are all full time jobs as is!

• 39.1
      admin says:

Hi Emily! I’m sorry :( I don’t have an etsy shop and I don’t sell my work. A faster alternative would be to print the bird faces from some Angry Bird pics on the internet and just paint the tubes, then paste the faces on :)

[...] Angry Birds and Cardboard Tube Chicks from Crafts by Amanda [...]

[...] Angry Birds with Cardboard Tubes [...]

Kelly says:

These are very cute.
    The bird you crossed out is the Green toucan.
    He would have been very cute also, maybe you will reconsider making him??

Great idea!

Kelly

Alisa Shea says:

Hi these are so cute. When I saw them I thought of making them with coffee cans. My grandsons just love them so they would make a wonderful B-Day gift. And a easy one also. Now I know I would need to make all the pieces larger. Thanks so very much. Alisa

lori says:

I LOVE these (my son is OBSESSED)! I’m not much of a crafter (at least much of a successful, “yeah that looks like the picture” kind of crafter) so I need things dummied down as much as possible. :-) Maybe it’s just the angle of the picture, but comparing them to the farm animals and Easter bunnies, these look a LOT bigger in circumference than a regular tp roll. Are they from the “industrial size” rolls like in public restrooms? Thanks!!

[...] Bird Day started fast with a fun cardboard tube craft.  Inspired by Crafts by Amanda we created a few birds of our own.  They are easier to make then they look–and I was [...]

[…] print-out templates to make these decorative Angry Bird boxes, and Crafts by Amanda uses simple paper towel rolls to create these imposing birds. Both these ideas work as great […]

[…] people have commented that this reminds them of Angry Birds :) I have a cardboard tube angry bird tutorial as […]

[…] Cardboard tube table toppers from Crafts by Amanda. […]