Ladybug Coffee Mug

Ladybug Coffee Mug

One of the things I love about spring and the coming of summer is that I have the excuse to make more ladybug crafts! They are so fun and colorful and easy to make, how could I not love creating with them? There’s something utterly cute and cheerful about a ladybug craft. Not sure if it’s the simple shapes or bright colors, but they always seem to invoke a smile. This would make a fun Mother’s Day craft too!

Ladybug Coffee MugOne day I checked the mailbox and there was a catalog from Colorful Images. I love to browse these little catalogs for inspiration, and on this particular day I found some.

Ladybug Coffee Mug

Inspired by Colorful Images - on my Pinterest Board

They had these cute personalized ladybug mugs, and at a reasonable price, but the crafter in me just couldn’t resist the inspirational feelings I was getting!

Ladybug Coffee MugI knew I had a thrift store mug sitting in my craft room, so I pulled it out along with a few Americana Gloss Enamels and created this fun mug to celebrate those cute little creatures.

It’s really quite simple to do. First make sure your mug is nice and clean and dry. Avoid touching the surface of the mug with your fingers if you can. I held mine by the handle and also placed my hand inside the mug when I needed to turn it upside down.

Ladybug Coffee MugSimply squeeze out some enamel paint onto a paper plate. Swirl a round pouncer into the paint to load it up.

Ladybug Coffee MugApply paint to the mug with the pouncer, using a swirling motion. If it bubbles, gently brush across the bubbles with the edge of the pouncer. Repeat with all the colors.

Ladybug Coffee MugNext you’ll use the 3D Gloss Enamel in black. use it like a pen to draw on the heads, antennae, dots and the line down their backs. Carefully dot on “flight trails” using this same 3D Writer. Now put it somewhere safe to dry for 48 hours, then you can bake it according to the directions on the back of the paint bottle. Alternatively, you can let it air cure for 21 days if you want to skip the baking.

Ladybug Coffee Mug

Ladybug Coffee Mug
Author: Amanda Formaro
Ingredients
  • Plain ceramic coffee mug, white or a light color
  • Pouncer sponge
  • Paper plate
  • 3D Gloss Enamel Writer – black
  • Americana Gloss Enamel Paints
  • Calypso Blue
  • Razzle Berry
  • Citron Green
  • Baby Pink
Instructions
  1. Thoroughly wash and dry ceramic mug. Avoid touching the surface of the mug with your fingers. Hold it by the handle, or you can place your hand inside the mug when you needed to turn it upside down.
  2. Squeeze out some enamel paint onto a paper plate. Swirl a round pouncer into the paint to load it up.
  3. Apply paint to the mug with the pouncer, using a swirling motion. If it bubbles, gently brush across the bubbles with the edge of the pouncer. Repeat with all the colors.
  4. Use the 3D Gloss Enamel Writer like a pen to draw on the heads, antennae, dots and the line down their backs. Carefully dot on “flight trails” using this same 3D Writer.
  5. Place it somewhere safe to dry for 48 hours then bake it according to the directions on the back of the paint bottle. Alternatively, you can let it air cure for 21 days if you want to skip the baking.

22 Responses to Ladybug Coffee Mug

Cecilia says:

Wow they are so sweet :)
    You are right, there’s something about ladybugs… they are to sweet not to smile!
    Cecilia

Cynthia Mckittrick says:

Such a bright idea. A must have! Thank you for the inspiration.

Brenda Cohea says:

I s this on a cup that has been glazed already…like you would just buy from …the store….? love it going to make some

Diana says:

I am a ladybug fanatic, I’m surprised at how hard it is to find ladybug items, so your tutorials are greatly appreciated!

Linda Darden says:

So cute! I have a friend who was spared in the recent Woodward, Oklahoma tornado earlier this month, but her brother’s house was destoyed. She loves everything about ladybugs, and I know this would brighten her spirits!

gail says:

Cute mugs Amanda! :) So pretty and colorful.

gail

taradara says:

I LOVE THIS! This would even make a great Teacher Appreciation gift!!!!
    xo

Armine says:

Awesome post….will do it….does it wash well, by hand?

Rachel says:

Hi I just made this, still waiting the 48 hours so I can bake it. The cup I used is microwaveable-safe (and dishwasher safe). Will the paint hold up in the microwave and dishwasher?

• 10.1

Yes, it should say on the bottle that they are dishwasher safe, top rack. If it doesn’t, I can definitely confirm that from speaking with the company. Microwave safe I’m not sure, but I think that it would be fine :)

[...] LINK: Ladybug Coffee Mug РCrafts by Amanda. [...]

Christina says:

These are so cute! I was so excited when I saw these the very next time I went to the craft store I bought everything I needed EXCEPT the 3D enamel gloss im so upset at myself.. Now I don’t know when I will get to go to a craft store again. I am just dying to try these.

Judy (Bug) Jones says:

I also collect ladybugs and when my folks brought me home from the hospital, my Dad’s cousin said “Oh, she’s as cute as a bug.” It stuck & I’m 66. to this day I’m called Aunty Bug, Grandma Bug, or just Bug by Sis & Brother. I love it. They are such magical creatures. Love all your projects.