White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.com

It was Christmastime, last year. My daughter and I had just visited the craft store for some supplies and decided to browse around Pier One, which just happens to be next door to the craft store. They always have such a wonderful display of ornaments and I’m always on the hunt for inspiration. That’s when my daughter saw a painting she loved and asked if I could make one for her.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.com

Funny story actually. The employees of Pier One must be worried about the competition stealing their ideas as they were eyeballing me and my camera phone quite suspiciously, and Kristen was supposed to be my lookout. Instead she’s over at the other end of the store drooling over wall art.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.com

This is the painting that she saw (pictured left, daughter’s cell phone) and the picture on the right is from the Pier One website. The piece is titled Cherry Blossom Wall Art and sells for $199.95. When Kristen was showing it to me, she made a point to say that she didn’t really like the stenciling in the background of the painting, so when I created my own a year later, I left that out.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.com

So here we are, fast forward 12 months and my baby girl is moving out on her own. She’s the first of my brood to venture out, though not my oldest, he’s still living here. She and her roommates have secured an apartment 20 minutes away and I wanted to make her something special as a house warming gift.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.com

Luck would have it that my contact at DecoArt gave me an assignment that couldn’t have had better timing. They needed a new photo/project for one of their catalog pages for their Americana paint. For the project I could only choose from the colors specified on that product page from the catalog. As soon as I saw the colors on the catalog page I knew exactly what I was going to do.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.com

The only supplies needed for this project are a 24″x30″ canvas, a small household sponge, some matte sealer spray and the following Americana paint colors:

Slate Grey
Neutral Grey
Sable Brown
Fawn
Soft Black
Traditional Raw Sienna
Dark Chocolate
Cashmere Biege
Light Mocha

NOTE: Each of the following step photos can be enlarged by simply clicking on the photo.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comFirst I thinned out some of the Slate Grey with water, 3 parts paint 1 part water should do it. I applied it to the canvas using a brush, but blended it with a soft cloth.

While the canvas was drying, I dropped the cell phone picture of the Pier One painting into Photoshop Elements and added a grid (View > Grid, change grid size in the Preferences). If you don’t have Photoshop, no problem, just use a ruler. I did a quick screen capture of the grid covered photo, then opened the screen capture and printed it. Then I went over the grid lines with a black marker to make them more visible. This was just to help me gauge area while sketching out the tree onto the canvas.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comNext I used a pencil to lightly draw a skeleton of the tree onto my grey canvas. Once the skeleton was in place, I then added the meat of the tree so to speak, creating the initial outline.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comFor this entire process I needed a lightly damp sponge. So I kept a small tub of water and a hand towel nearby. The sponge should be barely damp. Get it wet, squeeze all the excess out, then blot it on the towel.

First I shaded around the tree using Neutral Grey. To do this, I worked in small sections. This is important since acrylic paint dries fairly quickly. First I painted around the outline of the tree, then blended it with the damp sponge by running the sponge almost to the outline and blending the paint outward.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comNext, using Sable Brown and a sponge applicator (pouncer), I added some color to the outer edges of the canvas. Again, I blended the paint with the damp sponge.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comI used Fawn, and the same method as the previous step, to add some highlighting in between each of the branch sections. Blend, blend, blend!

Finally, I used small dabs of Soft Black around the corners of the canvas. In this instance, I did use a wee bit more moisture in the sponge since I was blending such a dark color. This helped with spreading it out more.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comI filled in the tree using Traditional Raw Sienna. Then I used a long liner brush to add the details on the branches.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comTo add depth to the tree, I mixed together Dark Chocolate and Soft Black and added it over the Traditional Raw Sienna. I made sure that there was some of the base color still showing through, and I blended with the damp sponge as well. This had to sit and dry completely before the next step.

To highlight the tree, I used Cashmere Beige and blended the edges with the sponge.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comTo finish off the branches I used a long liner brush and Soft Black, and traced over the thin lines on the twigs. I purposely didn’t cover them completely, I wanted the lighter color showing through.

Now I was ready to add the flowers, which by the way is a lot like icing a cake. It makes you smile and you know that you are not only in the final stretch, but you’re about to add a bunch of beauty to your creation. Dip the handle end of a paintbrush into Light Mocha. Small flowers can be created using just a dot and a small amount of paint, while larger flowers you’ll need more paint and you’ll “draw” them on using a circular motion. Just keep adding them until you are happy with the results.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.comLet everything dry really well. When the painting is completely dry, give it a nice even coat of sealer. Wait an hour or so and give it another coat. 20 minutes later, a third and final coat, just for good measure.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.comHere are some close ups of the different areas of the painting.

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.com

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.com

I hope you enjoyed this painting as much as I enjoyed creating it. My daughter was absolutely ecstatic when I gave it to her. She even tweeted this:

Aww! And I have the best daughter in the world too. :)

White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting - CraftsbyAmanda.com

:) :) I love you too baby girl. I can’t believe you’re all grown up and leaving the nest! It seems like only yesterday I was cradling you in my arms and singing you goodnight. Don’t forget to come home and visit your old mom. ;-)

41 Responses to White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting

holy wow!!! Your daughter is so lucky!!! I love this so much!!!

chandel says:

WOW!!! that turned out beautiful!! while i could never do it myself (i cannot draw to save my life) I think i like yours better than the original!! And the fact that your’s was created with Love, makes it all the better :)

teresa frutos says:

You are extremely talented!!!! I could never make it look as good as yours. Will you consider making another to sell? I would absolutely love it!

Thanks for the tips of using a grid and using a sponge to blend acrylic paint!! Your painting is lovely!!

• 4.1
      Kay Halford says:

Love, Love it better than the Peir One you are so talented and your daughter is so lucky to have a talented mom like you.

Vicki says:

Incredible job you did. You made a wonderful tutorial too.

Panagiota says:

Just perfect!
    Grate job!

Bernadette says:

You are really talented.

Linda says:

Beautiful…just beautiful…wishing your daughter the best of luck in life!

Deborah Jennings says:

I love this tree! I am going to have to make one! Hum, I wonder how you’d paint dogwood blossoms. That would be great to have around Easter!

WOW! so much detail! beautiful work.

Niki says:

Your version is EVEN BETTER!! So gorgeous…if you wanna practice some more, you can make me one too. LOL.

Lindo. Tudo lindo!

Wow. I love this. Absolutely beautiful!!

DA Maxwell says:

I agree with many others that I find your version more beautiful than the original. The original is too glittery and clunky… I think the stencil background is very distracting, and makes it look a little cheap. Yours is neat and clean and warm and absolutely peaceful~ ♥

[...] seems to be the most requested, but I’ve also received requests for my most recent piece, the White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting I did for my daughter as well as the Button Tree I made over the [...]

Safeena says:

Ur painting is absolutely beautiful.. Im going to try it myself. It’ll be my first big painting!! Thank u so much for the inspiration n the detailed instructions.. wish me luck :)

You are one super talented lady and a loving mother. Thank you for sharing your time and talent with us.

Jennifer Lee says:

I’m so excited that I happened upon your site tonight!! I just went to my very first Canvas Painting event tonight with my daughters and LOVED it! So finding your site with your awesome work and great tutorial just really made me smile!! I will be back as soon as I purchase the paints and sponges!! Thanks for sharing!

• 18.1

How fun! I really want to sign up for sewing classes at JoAnns but just haven’t found the time yet. Guess that’s one of my new year resolutions! :)

katerina says:

O M G.this is so nice. i love it and i am going to try it myself.
    If it turns out good i will be very proud.
    i will led you know.Thanks for the idea,keep it coming.

[...] Here’s the painting I made for her when she moved into her new place. This one is hanging in her living room. White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting. [...]

Kacy says:

Thank you so much for sharing your process. I am an art student and while painting is not too much in my field as a graphic designer, I loved the small experience I had with it in a mixed media course and color theory. I often want to try it out but am not sure how to get started, your process has given me so many ideas and really helped me see how to piece together a painting. I have to agree with everyone else yours is much better than the original!

Bindhya says:

You r such a lovely mom..feel like cry while I read .. I think about the day my son leaves me..also very good painting..

sandy says:

Your painting is so beautiful.Thank you so much for shareing.It has inspired me to try it for myself.Thanks again for the tips.

mickey says:

that would be pretty as a front of a card

Francine Nault says:

WOW that is so beautiful and thank you Amanda for sharing. Your instructions are fantastic, we can`t go wrong! Someday I will make one of these, I just love it. Keep up the good work and thanks again.

[…] (Crafts by Amanda White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting) […]

[…] White Cherry Blossom Tree Painting Button Tree on Canvas Colored Denim Circle Tree Distressed Crackled Vintage Map Weathered Newport Beach Sign […]

Middy says:

This is beautiful….the painting and the story behind it. I love t a million times more than the original. It’s stunning!
    My stress reliever is painting and you have inspired my next piece. Best wishes to your daughter on starting out on her own. She’s very lucky to have such a caring Mom.

[…] wall art because I think they are really beautiful and epitomize spring. You might remember the cherry blossom tree painting I made for my daughter. There’s something about them that just makes me […]