When you think of spring what comes to mind? Butterfly crafts are right up there in the top ten aren’t they? I love watching butterflies as they flit around in my garden, checking out the fragrant herbs and landing on the butterfly bush. They are so beautiful, quiet and graceful. That’s why I always loved making butterfly crafts with the kids. TO teach them about their simple grace.
Cardboard tubes are abundant and I rarely throw them away. My family knows if there are empty cardboard tubes on the bathroom counter, they are just waiting to go down to the craft room and that they should not be thrown out! Recycled crafts are what I enjoy most. There’s something about turning garbage into something cute that I just can’t resist.
One of the greatest things about working with cardboard tubes is that when you paint them and allow them time to dry, they become stiff, hard in fact. They hold their shape really well, making them great for this butterfly craft. In fact, if you wanted to, you could glue a magnet to the back and hang these on your fridge!
To make these cute butterflies, flatten the cardboard tube and cut it in half. Each tube makes 4 butterflies.
Paint cardboard tube inside and out and allow to dry.
Bend pipe cleaner in half and thread on 6 pony beads. Trim the end of the pipe cleaner for antennae.
Cut cardboard tubes into 1/2″ strips. Bend strips about two-thirds the way down to create a small and large loop. Lay tubes next to each other and glue together.
Glue the beaded body to the top of the cardboard tube wings.
More Butterfly Crafts
Puffy Tissue Paper Butterfly
Crayon Butterfly – Free Kids Crafts
Butterfly Wall Hanging – Artsy Fartsy Mama
Lots of Crafts with Butterflies – Fun Family Crafts
Cardboard Tube Beaded Butterfly
- Recycled cardboard tube
- Black pipe cleaner
- Pony beads various colors
- Craft paint
- Hot glue gun
- Flatten the cardboard tube then cut it in half. Each cardboard tube can make 4 butterflies.
- Paint cardboard tube inside and out and allow to dry.
- Bend pipe cleaner in half and thread on 6 pony beads. Trim the end of the pipe cleaner for antennae.
- Cut cardboard tubes into 1/2" strips. Bend strips about two-thirds the way down to create a small and large loop. Lay tubes next to each other and glue together. Glue the beaded body to the top of the cardboard tube wings.
Expert Tips & FAQs
- Fingerprint Daddy & Me Coffee Mug - May 30, 2023
- Sunflower Welcome Sign - May 16, 2023
- Patriotic Pinwheels - May 9, 2023
bandana dhar says
aaaw they are sooo cute!!!!
That is soo cute! i work with handicapped adults and this is something that they can do. They will love it!
Amanda Formaro says
Thanks Sherry, so glad it was helpful!