Scandinavian Christmas decor has been around for a long time, but has really grown in popularity in the last few years. Scandinavian bird ornaments are very popular, so why not a pretty door plaque to welcome friends and family to your home? The beauty of this project is that you don’t have to be a “painter” to do it.
If you can paint a solid surface with one color, and dip the handle of a paintbrush into paint and dot it on with another, you can make this plaque. You will need a little patience, it takes time to add the dots, but you’ll be very satisfied when you are finished!
Ready to get started? You can pick up this Cardinal shaped plaque at Michael’s Craft Store. Others stores may have them too, this just happens to be where I found mine.
I used Americana paints by DecoArt. While I am partial to Americana, other brands will work as well. You’ll need red and white. Just follow the instructions in the printable version below and you’ll soon be hanging your own Scandinavian bird plaque on your door!
Do you like the Scandinavian Christmas designs that are popping up all over the internet?
Scandinavian Bird Plaque
- Cardinal Plaque
- DuraClear Varnish - Matte
- Berry Red
- Snow Titanium White
- Paint front and back of plaque with Berry Red.
- Use the handle end of a large paintbrush dipped in Snow (Titanium) White paint to add a large dot for the eye.
- Use a smaller paintbrush to dot around the eye.
- Dot on flowers in various places on the plaque.
- Use a toothpick dipped in Snow (Titanium) White to create the dotted trail, connecting all the flowers together and creating lines down the tail.
- When completely dry, apply 2 coats of DuraClear Matte Varnish.
- Fingerprint Daddy & Me Coffee Mug - May 30, 2023
- Sunflower Welcome Sign - May 16, 2023
- Patriotic Pinwheels - May 9, 2023
Deborah Jennings says
I love this! But then who can resist a Cardinal? I sure can’t! I wonder if I can find some smaller Cardinals to paint and put on my tree.
Nancy Carr says
Great idea. Love it. Thanks for the great blog and ideas.