I created this snowman pattern back in 2002 when I was pretty heavy into tole painting. I haven’t tole painted in a while, but used to do it quite a bit, and snowmen were one of my favorite subjects! I painted this onto a glass jar, but you could use any surface that you like. It would be adorable on a pillow or even a t-shirt!
Here’s a close up of the snowman to give you a little more detail.
If you would like to see a few more of my tole painted designs, you can see some of them in the craft store I used to own, Amanda’s Attic. I also still have some custom work showcased on FamilyCorner that I need to move over to AmandaFormaro.com.
Download the pattern for this project here
Snow Place Like Home
- clean empty glass jar
- liner brush
- shader brush
- small scruffy brush
- Micron black & brown craft pens
- white paint pen
- old toothbrush
- acrylic matte spray sealer
Acrylic paint colors (all paint colors are Delta Ceramcoat)
- Green Isle
- Antique White
- Trail Tan
- Georgia Clay
- Mendocino Red
- Black Cherry
- Periwinkle Blue
- Navy Blue
- Autumn Brown
- 14 K Gold
- If you are painting on jars, you can prepare your surface by washing the jar, completely removing all labels and glue, then giving the jar a rinse in white vinegar or rubbing alcohol. Allow the first coat of base coat to dry COMPLETELY before attempting second coat!
- Base coat surface with 2-3 coats of Green Isle. Trace pattern onto base-coated surface.
- Paint snowman body with Antique White and float edges with Trail Tan. Paint scarf with Periwinkle Blue and float edges with Navy Blue. Paint star with Straw and shade edges with 14K Gold.
- Paint buttons with Mendocino Red and shade left side of each button with Black Cherry. Paint arms on using a liner brush with Autumn Brown. Paint nose with Georgia Clay.
- Paint patches with Straw and shade with Trail Tan. Using a dry scruffy brush, dip into Mauve and blot excess paint off onto a paper towel. Dab on cheeks. Dot eyes on with black Micron craft pen.
- Use black Micron craft pen to add stitches and brown Micron craft pen to add stitches around the patches. Use white paint pen to write "snow place like home". Splatter completed painting with White using an old toothbrush.
- Sign your work! Spray completed project with 2-3 coats of acrylic spray sealer (matte) according to directions on can.
Expert Tips & FAQs
- Fingerprint Daddy & Me Coffee Mug - May 30, 2023
- Sunflower Welcome Sign - May 16, 2023
- Patriotic Pinwheels - May 9, 2023
Elaine Willey says
Is it possible to buy the snow place like home canning jar all finished?
Debbie S says
Love it, I had to make one.
Debbie Miller says
Can I purchase this pattern/stencil from U?
Amanda Formaro says
You don’t have to purchase it Debbie, it’s free. It’s right here on the post
Rouette McMasters says
I can’t draw a straight line. If there is a traceable pattern where can I get it. Whenever I try to use a pattern on a glass or anything round the pattern doesn’t lay flat. How do you do this??
Amanda Formaro says
When you are on the post there’s a link to the pattern within the materials list. As far as making the pattern lie a little flatter, the best way is to trace it in sections. So trace the left side, then the center, then the right.
Heather Keiter says
Just wondering, what color did you use for the nose?
Amanda Formaro says
Thanks for pointing that out Heather. You know I wrote that tutorial 10 years ago and no one has ever pointed that out before?! I used Georgia Clay. It’s in the supply list, I just missed adding the nose to the instructions and will fix it today. Thanks!
Karen Walker says
Super cute! I wish I could paint that nice…but maybe I could decoupage on a similar picture.
victoria rangel says
I remember this one Great,,I love your site because you put print on it so we know we can.Hope you have Merry Christmas & your Family also..,Cookie in Va.
Erin @ Making Memories says
So cute! I just love all your painted jars! You are so talented!!!