Plastic Lid Ladybugs

I’ve been saving the lids from my milk jugs just to make these little cuties, they make a very simple kid’s craft and and fit perfectly in the recycled crafts category! I absolutely love ladybug crafts, you might remember my paper plate ladybugs, or the ladybug rocks I did for Kaboose a few years ago, or the egg carton ladybugs I have on FamilyCorner. I have another ladybug craft I’m working on now and hope to have that posted soon, they are just so cute! :)

In case you’re wondering about all the different colored lids, they come from whole milk, 1% milk, buttermilk and juice. Most of you know I’m a baker and post lots and lots of recipes on my cooking blog, so I go through a lot of buttermilk and whole milk.

I didn’t take any step by step photos of these as they are so easy, step by steps just aren’t necessary. This is a really easy craft for kids, and you only need a few supplies.

Plastic Lid Ladybugs

by Amanda Formaro

What You Need

plastic lid from milk jug
black acrylic craft paint
2 small wiggle eyes
paintbrush
white craft glue

What You Do

Wash and dry the plastic lid. Paint on the head by using a paintbrush to add an almond shape at one end of the lid.

Use the handle end of a paintbrush dipped in black paint to add the spots. Make some spots larger than others. Let all the paint dry.

Use white craft glue to add the wiggle eyes.

Optional: You could make these into magnets, but you would need to fill the lid with something first. I would recommend using something lightweight, like cardboard. Cut it into circle and glue it inside the cap, then add a magnet.

I’m participating in the following craft carnivals. To see some other awesome projects, be sure to visit them!

109 Responses to Plastic Lid Ladybugs

Suzanne says:

Those are adorable, I have to make those for my garden with my little boy. Thanks for much for the nice comment on the mother huddle.

beth kruse custom creations says:

very cute! i'm trying to think of what else we could do with them…..

Veronica says:

These are so cute.

l.a.r.k. says:

Cute! :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

Those are so cute Amanda. I love the first picture. I would get such a kick out of seeing those in someone's yard! Thanks so much for the how-to, I'll be linking.

sunnymama says:

These are so cute! What a great idea. :)

Megan says:

These are adorable!

Kathryn says:

Cute!

Anonymous says:

Thanks for the wonderfull idea

Anonymous says:

oh i forget to type my name i m dona Kindergarten Teacher of Sumatra Indonesia *)

Deeba PAB says:

What a great idea Amanda; colourful and attractive too!! Who would have thought?? LOVELY!!

Dianna@DecorMadeSimple says:

Cut idea, they would make great refrigerator magnets.

Leanne says:

Those are so cute. Yay, now I have something else to do with the kids while they're off track. Thanks for the new craft idea.

The Mommy Teacher says:

Hi Amanda,
    I just love all of your ideas!! I wanted to give you the link, so you could choose what Craft Gossip featured button you would like.

Thanks!
    Kristen

Thank you everyone!

Rachel – Thank you for the feature!!

Kristen – Thank you so much, I've added your featured button! :)

DOEHLER DAYS says:

Found you through The Girl Creative…was late to the party, but I was going to share my ladybug craft made of rocks.

Aiming4Simple says:

We've got to do these adorable bugs! I also remember seeing a version of these that was used for a game. You put a marble under each ladybug and push them toward a circle.

creativejewishmom.com says:

Hi Amanda, this is so cute, now i Know what to do with all those lids I've been saving! I'd love it if you'd visit my linking party (thru Tues) and link to this so i can share it with my readers next week! all the best and hope to see you there

Cute rocks! I made some like that for Kaboose several years ago :)

Aiming – cool, never heard of that game!

Creative Jewish mom – thanks, just joined!

Tif says:

These are wonderful!!

Condo Blues says:

How cute! I'm a little sad that I turned in a bag full of hard plastic bottle caps in for recycling yesterday. I had a bunch of red caps that would have made very cute lady bugs.

Bianca Elena says:

Great! I love these! :)

Allison Shops says:

So cute! I love ladybugs. Came over from BNOTP.

CraftyMummy says:

So cute and easy! I'm going to start saving lids today. My daughter will love to make them!

Mandy says:

Perfect reuse – love it! I am having a link party tomorrow (Tuesday) and I'd love to see you there! http://www.craftedition.blogspot.com

Kathryn says:

Very cute! Our curbside recycling doesn't take plastic caps so I have a ton saved up and I am going to try to make one these.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Sandra says:

These are so cute. What a great idea.

Tere says:

Very, very cute! My girls will love making these. I've been saving lids for a lid toss game I want to use at my daughter's bday party this month. I want to use fruit cups (empty of course) and space them out and put them in a box and let the kids toss the lids to try to get them in them for a prize. Anyway, thanks for sharing…..love it!

Missy (Two Little Monkeys) says:

How adorable! I am always looking for craft ideas to share with my blog readers so I hope you do not mind – I linked up your blog post today on my blog. I love this idea and my daughters and I will make this today!

Amy Bowman says:

My daughter just walked in, looked at the picture and said "Hey, WE could make those!" Love the simplicity of this one, so cute!
    Thanks for linking up to "Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays!"
    *This would be a perfect craft to link up to The Mother Huddles Crafty Kids. They have a monthly go green craft link party every first wednesday of the month…here is the link. http://www.themotherhuddle.com/?p=2836

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage says:

CUTE CUTE CUTE!!! Thanks so much!!

Al says:

How fun, I am going to make them with my nephew

Lanie Ree says:

Adorable! What a perfect kids craft. Or, you know, 25-year-old-girl craft. I could see these showing up on my bookshelf…

Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

Sarah says:

What a fantastic way to repurpose! Love it!

Laura says:

These are so cute. I love them!

I would love it if you joined my "Saturday is Crafty Day" party on April 24th! Stop by my blog for details.

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas says:

Hi Amanda..Barb coming over from My backyard eden..Love these.. they are too cute!! Great job!!
    I just became your newsest Follower… Hope you can take a peek at my blog @
    santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & see if there is anything that might inspire you for your Family/Home. I do a little bit of everything..Vinyl,Wood,Glass,Aprons,Hair Bows, recipes, Home Decorating/makeovers..I'd love for you to become a follower of mine too. Have a great day!! Thanks for sharing..Barb

Pati @ A Crafty Escape says:

Love these and I'm thinking they would make a great Earth Day craft!

Kim @ seven thirty three says:

Oh my! Those are adorable!

Thanks for linking up with What are little boys made of?

Fawnda says:

Very cute idea! I love repurposing! These lady bugs are too cute! :)

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity says:

Thanks so much for linking up to Tot Tuesdays this week! What a cute project. I am hosting my first giveaway which ends on Tuesday. I hope you’ll stop by. Have a great week! ☺

Beansieleigh says:

It feels like a sickness, I tell you, when I save everything the way I do! I can't throw something AWAY without wondering if I can MAKE something with it first! I have a container full of these, and will definitely be making at least couple or so for MY fridge! Thanks for the very cute idea! ~tina

Lanie Ree says:

Hey there! I'm featuring this today. Because it's awesome.

Holly Renee says:

So cute! I like the different colors. These seems so easy too. I bet you could do other bugs as well. I like the ladybug plates on the side too.

Lori says:

This is so cute. I might have to try this.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party!

craftlicious says:

wow these are beautiful
    wonderful idea,i would love to make few for my daughter

stepping in from Life in the Pitts
    i will be following you.
    do visit me sometimes

Shahana

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says:

I love ladybugs too! They are really cute and a great recycled project!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Fawn says:

What a great idea! my 5-yr-old daughter is alway pestering me to do crafts, and she loves ladybugs! This is definitely on the to-do list…. thanks for the awesome (cheap) idea!!

MessyMissy says:

That's really cute. My Munchkin will adore this craft!!

Stephanie Lynn says:

Super cute! I love recycled crafts and my little guy would love these! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Jen says:

Stopping by from Dollar Store Crafts! Glad to find you- great ideas. The lady bug lids are sooo cute.

Jen from Creative and Curious Kids!

Jessica Hills says:

Oh my daughter would love those! Thanks so much for linking to Favorite Things Friday!

redtedart says:

OMG how cute (and simple!) are these… I know you already take part in so many craft carnivals, but would you be interested in taking part in my (monthly themed) one: Get Crafty http://redtedart.wordpress.com/get-crafty/ – this month's theme is Red and the ladybirds would be SO perfect and would most definitely inspire others (I know we will be making some!!!!)

Do let me know!

Maggy

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity says:

I featured you today! :)

Kristi Flanagan says:

These are so darn cute…. another great one for my kiddos to do!

Thanks for planting your creative seed! Come plant again on Friday!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

Bobbie says:

That looks great. Thanks for sharing at check me out saturday http://www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

Annaxandria says:

Hi, Im Annaxandria. I have a link to your blog. I like this idea. Please check my blog out at

Tammy says:

This is very creative. I will definitely make these.

Teena says:

These are great! An excellent recycled and educational toy for young children, well done! Happy Transformation Thursday <3

Sandy@Pretty Nice Thing says:

My son is looking forward to making these, he like them very much. Thank you for sharing these.

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! :)

Garden Lily says:

I'm looking for ideas, since I've saved a huge box of these lids… Yours is the cutest yet. Although I wonder if the black acrylic paint could rub off too easily?

Hi Garden Lily :) It's still hanging in there on mine, but they are in the kid's bathroom, not outdoors. You could also spray them with acrylic sealer before adding the eyes. Thanks for the compliments!

Arushi Nayar says:

Great job, You will hear from me often as I love to teach simple crafts to young kids.
    Thanks a lot.
    Arushi

Mom of Two says:

These were so fun & so quick to make. We made them too. Thanks for all your wonderful craft ideas. I have linked them all on my daughter's blog: http://makesthree.blogspot.com/2010/07/more-crafts.html

Colleen says:

I think these are great! With two small milk loving children, I have a ton of these. Now I have something creative to do with them. Awesome idea! Thank you!

Becky says:

Loved these and made some of my own!1 I linked back to you, although they're not nearly as cute :)

Have a great weekend!

Winna says:

They are so cute and easy to make. Will get it done quick once I collect many lids. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea.

Ruth says:

This is such a cool idea!! My mum has a ton of lids she's been saving. I shall go 'borrow' some from her craft box at once! :o)

[...] probably remember my plastic lid ladybugs, which were what inspired me to make these little cuties. Of course I’ve posted several [...]

Tabitha says:

Hey Amanda! So cute! I’m the teacher who did a math activity with your monster caps. I’m starting a green classroom and would love permissionto add this post, crediting you and linking back to this post. Thanks!
    FlapJack Educational Resources

lily says:

I shared your ideas on pintrest… I also applied the link to this site with it:) Thanx for the ideas.

[...] On the simpler side, Crafts by Amanda created a fun kid craft creating little ladybugs from bottle caps. The added element of eyes and spots make them irresistably cute! Ladybug Lids by [...]

Karen Howard says:

Really cut Idea for what to do with jar lids! I’ll be making some for my Garden this year! Thanks!

[...] Plastic Lid Ladybugs by Crafts by Amanda [...]

[...] Crafts by Amanda shows you how to make these adorable ladybugs using leftover plastic lids. You and your children are sure to fall in love with these cute little critters. [...]

[...] crafty mom turned plastic milk-jug tops into cute ladybugs. I would even suggest that you can take this idea further and turn these into wearable items by [...]

[...] Bottle Cap Bugs from Crafts By Amanda [...]

[...] Lady bug eco-friendly craft: with some black acrylic paint you can turn plastic caps into fun ladybugs with the [...]

jennifer says:

these are soooo soooo cute i cant wait to make them with my kids :) and with the kids in sunday school :) thanks for the awesome idea- god bless

Kate says:

Hi Amanda,
    My girls and I had a go making these and the monsters too. Great idea and lots of fun. Check out the results here: http://kaetoo.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/toddler-art-adventures-with-bottle-caps.html
    Thanks for sharing.
    - Kate

[...] Plastic Lid Ladybugs (or any kind of bug, for that matter!) [...]

How cute! So many bottle caps get thrown in the trash…

[...] second look. Could that be turned into some sort of ladybug?? You’ve probably already seen my plastic lid ladybugs, and my paper plate ladybugs, so it’s probably no surprise that I’m posting yet another [...]

[...] 4. Mariquitas con tapones de botella como juguetes [...]

[...] Plastic lid ladybugs by Crafts by Amanda [...]

Karen Howard says:

These are so cute & easy to do. I used Juice can lids. You could attach a magnet & have a Nice Lady Bug for the Fridge or Microwave.Or punch a hole in the tops & hang on tree branches ot make a mobile with an embroidery hoop-(Just remember to Paint & put Eyes on both sides).Thanks for sharing this.

Barb says:

the Brownies will love these for their camp hats and for SWAPS

elaine says:

So cute! I have a nother lady bug thought as a person who cans her food every fall ee have tons of canning lids after we open the jars. If we paint the jar lids like a lady bug we can put magnets on the back and presto gifto a half a dozen bugs for grandma.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

[...] 15. Bottle cap ladybugs. This is another fun one to do with kids. Get crafty, and transform reclaimed plastic bottle caps into cute little ladybug toys. [...]

Danette Griego Trujillo says:

These are so Fabulous and adorable! You can use them for a checker board game . Making them two different colors.

Masi says:

Very nice.thank you.

Shelley Halverson says:

These are going to work perfect with our Sunday morning program at church “Going Buggie for Jesus” where each week a bug is featured. For our Lady Bug week the kids will discover that God even had a purpose for the Lady Bug so He must have a great plan for you.
    Also hitting the concept of how much Lady Bugs help farmers and how we can be helpers too.

[...] Paper Plate Ladybugs Paper Bag Scarecrow Cardboard Tube Giraffe Plastic Lid Ladybugs [...]

Edie Fagg says:

Love the lady bug idea. Looks like a great project for the grand kids before they start school the following week. They love doing crafts and the girls love lady bugs. These would be cute with push pins glued to the inside and used on a cork board too.

[…] Source: Crafts by Amanda […]

[…] Creative Inspiration – Crafts by Amanda […]

[…] 15. Bottle cap ladybugs. This is another fun one to do with kids. Get crafty, and transform reclaimed plastic bottle caps into cute little ladybug toys. […]

[…] It is amazing how many things you can collect in a short period of time. I saw a use for them on Crafts By Amanda and knew I had to make […]

Bonnie says:

We named my 8 month old great-granddaughter “Ladybug” although most of the time she gets “Bug” so this will be perfect for her room. You mentioned making magnets out of them but they’re too tall. You can buy cards of magnets at A.C.Moore & other craft shops that are about 1/4″ thick.

[…] Plastic Lid Ladybugs – Crafts by Amanda […]

[…] ladybug magnets also make great gifts when you need to have several on hand. They remind me of my plastic lid ladybugs, but with a bit more color from the fabrics. Drop them into party bags, send to a secret sister, or […]

[…] castanets.  Turn your bottle tops into a lovely piece of art like Love and Lollipops. These plastic lid ladybugs from Crafts By Amanda are adorable. Add your photos and turn bottle lids into picture frames from I […]