Cookie Monster and Elmo Hats

I have been meaning to make these for weeks. One of my boys had asked for a Cookie Monster hat for his birthday back at the beginning of June. I wasn’t able to get him one, but swore I would make one, eventually. When picking up the blue hat at the craft store, they had them on sale, 50% off. Originally they were $1.99, which is a steal in its own right, but with the discount now only $1.00, so I grabbed a red one too :) Oh and incidentally, Lids sells these Sesame Street hats for $25 ($12.99 at Amazon, go figure!), mine cost $1.00 each plus my time.

Oh, and in case you are wondering why you are seeing the back of my two boys instead of the front… the older one is now 13. See, his friends razzed him when they googled his name. Since I’ve been on the internet for such a long time, and because I’ve been making crafts equally as long and used to publish them on FamilyCorner.com (my old website) they found a picture… of him… and his brother… in a bubble bath.

LOL

They were LITTLE! Jeez, only 2 and 3 years old at the time, the craft was a bubble frame (sure! go look, it’s cute! I’ll wait…). Ha ha! Took me forever to convince him to let me get a picture of him wearing the hat, and then he would only agree to the back. LMAO!

So back to the hats. :) I basically just found some images on google of Cookie Monster hats and Elmo hats (there are other Sesame Street characters too) and drew the pattern using the picture as a guide.

I did make my Cookie Monster mouth look a little different than the image. It would be fun to tell you I did that on purpose, but I didn’t. I just hosed it up. But it looks ok anyway. :)

See the picture I used showed the hat at angle, stupid, I know, instead of an overhead shot. So needless to say, it didn’t come out perfect, but I’m happy with them, and so are the boys.

Currently, both hats are in my daughter’s room. She stole them when the boys were at football practice.

Oh and one last note here, if you don’t have fabric paint, get yourself some textile medium. You mix it with your acrylic paints and you have instant fabric paint. :)

First I cut the mouth pattern out and placed it over the bill of the hat. I used a pen and traced around the pattern lightly.

Then I used a liner brush with black paint to outline the mouth, then filled it all in with a thicker paintbrush.

Next I used a round sponge applicator to add the eyes. I twirled and swirled and pressed the paint on, turning and swirling to make the circle larger. You have to let the white dry all the way before moving on.

I used the round applicator to add Elmo’s nose, a small round sponge applicator for the blacks of the eyes, and a liner brush to outline the eyes and nose. That was the hardest part. But you can touch up the mistakes with more paint. I did. :)

That’s it! Then just let them dry before you wear them!

More from me you might like:
Frog Baseball Hat
Ladybug Baseball Hat
Homework Before Play Sign

More cool stuff from the interwebs:
Crocheted Sesame Street Hats – from Girl in Air
Cookie Monster Hat – from Parking at Home
Elmo Hat pattern – from Because Mommy Said So

Comments

1. Mary Ellen says

Adorable hats!! Mine would never look so good- I am terrible with a brush or even a marker!!!

bee blessed
    mary

2. MICHELL says

Oh MY!!!! I LOVE this!!! I must try it and soon…Thank you for linking back to me:-) I just love your blog…I know I'm gonna find some awesome stuff to make..HEHEHE I never thought of my son's friends googling him…I better watch what I post..LOL

3. parkingathome says

Thanks for linking me! I'm also working on an elmo hat, what a crazy coincidence! It'll be up in my etsy shop soon (perchingathome.etsy.com). Thanks again!

4. LambAround says

A kid came into our dental office yesterday wearing one of those Cookie Monster hats! Ah, I feel so in the loop!
    Also, I did go check out the bubble frame. Very cute :)

5. Katrina says

Way cute, Amanda. I'm surprised your boys would like them at their ages. My 12 year old would say "No way." Love them.

6. [email protected] says

Oh my gosh- those are SO cute! You're amazingly talented. Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

7. creativejewishmom/Sara says

adorable as usual, you really have a way with hats! thanks so much for linking up on Craft Schooling Sunday, all the best! And thanks for linking to me on Craft Gossip, a nice surprise to see you there, all the best with the new gig!

8. Brian + Cheryl B. says

Hi Amanda :-) I stopped by via your link-up on Sumo's Sweet Stuff. I really like your creative hats! Not sure whom I'm going to use this idea on … but I've tucked it away for theno;-p

9. shirley says

Such a cute idea! I'm thinking Oscar & Elmo….you have really great stuff! Found you from Blue Cricket Design. Crap another blog I must follow! LOL

10. Katie @ Left Hand Reviews says

Love this! My little brother saw a cookie monster hat at Target a while back that he really wanted – this would be a great project make with him! Thank you! :)

11. the momma (aka Shannon) says

these are so cute! way to save yourself some serious money!!!
    i may have to try this for my Elmo-obsessed Baby Girl!

12. reasonstoskipthehousework says

Every single craft is so stink' cute! Can't wait till my 6 month old is old enough to do crafty things with me! Love your site!