Water Bottle Octopus (or Squid)

Aww, isn’t she cute? Your kids can make this fun octopus (or squid, whatever you want to call her) from an empty plastic water bottle! Little ones will probably need help with the scissors, but older kids should be able to make this sea creature all by themselves. Not only is this a fun rainy day project, it’s green too! So recycle those water bottles into fun ocean animals.

Water Bottle Octopus

You will need

1 empty water bottle
scissors
pink paint
1/2 sheet pink felt
instant grab glue
2 large wiggle eyes
Markers (pink and maroon or red)

What you do

Cut off the bottom of the water bottle.

Don’t throw it in the garbage. You can either recycle it or save it to use in another craft project.

Paint the water bottle pink and let it dry.

When the paint has dried, use scissors to cut strips in the bottle. Start at the bottom and go up to about 3 inches from the top, just leave enough room for the head.

Cut a strip of pink felt to cover the top of the bottle and glue it in place. By the way, you should have saved the lid too, for another project. ;) Always save your lids, they are great in a pinch and don’t take up much space!

Cut a long strip, about an inch in width, from the remaining pink felt. Tie that strip into a bow. Trim the ends and glue that to the front of the pink strip around the mouth of the bottle.

Now just glue on some eyes and use markers to draw on some lips and cheeks! Done!

Oh, you can hang her by adding some yarn to the top of the bottle. :)

Here’s more from me you might like:

Paper Plate Owl
Frog Baseball Hat
Cardboard Tube Giraffe
Recycled Ladybug Jar

Here’s some fun stuff from the interwebs:

Handprint Octopus – from FreeKidsCrafts.com
Fish and Sea Creature Craft Projects – from Family Crafts at About.com
Yarn Octopus – from Kaboose (oh hey, look, I made that!)  ;)
Egg Carton Octopus – from Family Crafts at About.com

Comments

1. Tami says

That's so cute and it would be a perfect craft project for the kids' library programs that are celebrating under water themes this summer! :)

2. Beansieleigh says

Oh my word.. How CUTE is THIS?!!! I LOVE it!!! I occasionally teach crafts to the kids at church, and this would be so much FUN!! (I don't know if I can think of any lessons to go with it, but they'll LOVE it!).. Thanks for sharing this, and I'm now a follower! ~tina

3. Completely Coastal + Daily Vitamin Sea says

Just too cute!! And great creative re-use of these plastic water bottles!

4. Helena says

This is such an awesome kids craft! (or bored 25-yr-old craft). I love your recycled projects :)

Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy Session with Life in the Pitts!

5. [email protected] says

That is way cute and so perfect for summer! Thanks for the project I'll be linking.

6. The Polka Dot Closet says

That is so cute! What fun project!
    I joined in the fun and came over from Transformation Thursdays

Carol

7. von Hand zu Hand says

thanks for this funny idea. great project to make with the kids.

i'm linking.

many greetings, doro.

8. Room to Inspire says

Super adorable project! And what a great way to reuse! Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired last week.

Chelsea