Recycled Bread Tag Monsters

Eeeee! I’ve been saving bread tags (those little plastic clips that keep your bread bag closed) for months just waiting for Halloween to get close. I’ve had this craft idea for these little monsters in my head for a while and finally got the chance to make them today. You could probably make them in much simpler fashion, but I love adding little details, embellishing, etc. So here’s how I made these recycled bread tag monsters if you are interested :)

UPDATED 12/21/10 – Just a quick update to add in here that I have posted a how-to for recycled bread tag snowmen if you are interested in seeing those. Below is a pic. :) Great for Christmas gift bags!

Recycled bread tag snowmen

Now on with the monster tutorial!

First I painted them with acrylic paint. I didn’t even put paint into the palette because only a small amount of each color is needed. I just shook the bottle and removed the lid, then stuck my paintbrush into the lid to get some paint. Most of my bread tags were white, but I did have a red one and left that one as is.

While the paint was drying, I sketched out some monster faces.

Then I started embellishing. I used a toothpick for some of the small lines, like this monster’s mouth…

and for the marks on this monster’s sides.

I dipped the handle end of a paintbrush into the paint to make the eyes and any polka dots. For really tiny polka dots and some of the pupils I used a toothpick.

On this one I used a Sharpie marker to draw on toes, then used a toothpick to fill in the toes with paint. A monster manicure!

I did finish them off with some sealer spray too, to keep the paint from rubbing or peeling off.

I’ve heard these make decent rubber band holders.. hmmm.

Is it just me, or does that yellow one remind you of Spongebob??

You like? I like! Fun!! :) Thanks for looking!

I actually am updating this post to include this fun treat bag! See that little guy in the bag? He’s one of many monster brownies I made on my cooking blog. Fun!

Here’s some more colorful Halloween crafts from me:
Halloween Painted Jar Luminaries
Monster Treat Bags
Juice Box Monsters
Halloween Felt Ghouls
Monster Brownies

More fun projects around the internet:
Bread Tag Jazzy Jewelry from FaveCrafts
Bread Tag Pendant on Flickr
Craft Ideas using old bread tags – from Thrifty Fun

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only crafts but recipes from my other blog, Amanda’s Cookin’ as well!

Comments

1. Kristi Flanagan says

Amanda – absolutely adORable!!!!! Soooo creative – love, love, love it!

Thanks so much for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party.

Hugs,

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

2. Katie's Nesting Spot says

What a fun idea! I have a stash of bread tags because I like to thread them on ribbon and use rub-ons to turn them into scrapbook embellishements. Yours have so much detail and are a lot more work than I originally thought they might be. I thought you used paint pens which I find easier for detail work so brushes would make it a lot tougher for me to control and get the job done. Would love you to join me at A Crafty Soiree, every Thursday.

3. Lisa's Creative Home says

Oh what a great idea! I never would have come up with that! This would be a fun Halloween project to do with my daughter:)

4. Nana's Fun Stuff says

Very creative and SO cute!! Wouldn't have thought of that ever. Now I will look at them differently when I open bread :)

5. Alison says

Amanda, these are SO adorable!!! I love that you don't have to pay a dime. Recycled projects are the best!! But checking out your sidebar, you have a TON of cute Halloween projects!! Man o man, I am craft coveting!!

~Alison

6. michelle@somedaycrafts says

I never, never, NEVER would have thought to do those! They are so cute, I mean, Manly!!!! Totally fun idea. I'm loving all your monster ideas lately!

7. Kristy says

I LOVE these!!!!!! I save mine and rarely ever re-used them. I am sooooo going to make some. They would also make really cute magnets.

8. Beansieleigh says

Oh my gosh.. Are these the funniest, and yet the CUTEST little monsters I've ever seen?!! I LOVE these!!!… Have a great weekend! ~tina

9. Andi @ Jane of all crafts says

Found you by way of tatertots and jello and just had to check these out. SOOOOO clever and adorable! I can't wait to try to make my own. Thanks for sharing!

10. Amanda says

Thank you all soooo much for the kind comments! I really appreciate it :) been meaning to make these for a while now.

Katie – good idea to use paint pens. I don't use them that often, have always used paint, but I'm sure that would work great!

Alison – Thanks! Halloween is my favorite crafting holiday of all time. Sooo fun to get creative with monsters, ghosts, pumpkins, etc!

Michelle – Thank you! More monster ideas to come before Halloween gets here :)

Kristy – yes cute magnets, good idea!

11. linda @ CraftaholicsAnonymous says

Awesome! I love them! Thanks for sending me a link. You should link these up with my fall frenzy linky party going on. (link is on my sidebar) my readers would love them!
    Happy crafting!
    Linda

12. Love and Lollipops says

These are so so so cute and ingenious!!! I have lots of bread tags saved, but ours over here look a bit smaller than yours…might still work though!

13. Christina says

Hahaha, they're TOO CUTE! I love that idea…never would have thought of that!! :)

Visiting from "Sunday Showcase…"

14. Lyndsey says

So cute, I love them! I always save mine for re-use with frozen veggie bags, but now you've got me thinking! These might make cute magnets too. I'm a new follower from SNS.

15. [email protected] says

These are SO CREATIVE! I love them! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

16. Not Just A Mommy! says

OMG! I so have monsters on the brain for our Halloween Monster Bash, and who would have thunk those annoying tags (ours are always getting lost once they come off the bag) could be so cute!! Maybe we won't lose them now….

17. Catch A Falling Star says

Oh.my.gosh.
    I didn't even know what they were till a couple of pictures down.
    How stinkin' cute!!
    I love them!!

18. creativejewishmom/Sara says

simple and Brilliant as usual Amanda! Thanks so much for all the great links on this week's Craft Schooling Sunday!

19. meyamo says

These are absolutely adorable….now, just need to find some bread tags-all mine have come with twisty ties lately. Great project!

20. Bella says

These are tooo cute, how very creative. ALthough I noticed so many of your projects are way awesome. Im so happy to have found you, and look forward to spending some time checking out your blog in more detail. If you are interested in adding one more party to your list, I would LOVE to have you link up to mine, and share your talent. Hope to see you soon!! Bella :)

21. malia says

amanda! genius idea. i am always feeling badly when i recycle those bread tags. i hope you link these cuties up at a crafty soiree on thursday (-:

22. Katie says

OMG! Love these tags! So unique!!! Love your blog… found you via Craft Gawker. Would love if you stop by SewWoodsy.blogspot.com

23. M says

SOOOOOOOO stinkin' adorable!!! :) LOVE IT! I'm so on the lookout for some of these now. Sadly, all the bread we have in the cupboards right now have twist ties to close them.

24. Amanda says

Thanks Melissa! *blush*

On another note in case anyone is subscribed to the comments, or for those reading this later, bread tags usually aren't on bread anymore. However, they are on many other things like English muffins, bagels, hamburger buns, hot dog buns, etc :)

25. Lynn from For Love or Funny says

Just found you, and I'm hooked! By the way, my bread still has bread tags! Perhaps it varies around the country, but we always have tons of bread tags floating around the house.

26. Anonymous says

Hi, we don't have bread tags in the UK, we used to a long time ago, but then Health and Safety got involved… Pity, because these are really great!

27. Heidi@TheCraftMonkey says

Just wanted to let you know I made some of these after seeing them here! My son is having a costume playdate next week, and I thought these would be PERFECT for the goodie bags! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! I can't get over how stinki cute they are!

28. Rebecca says

This is such a an adorable project! I think it will get kids to concentrate and also let parents work with their kids! I posted this on my FB page!

29. sofie says

I really love this idea, I'll start saving some bread tags from now on and use them as a craft activity with my kids soon. Thanks for this great idea.

30. Kristy says

Oh! My! Goodness! This takes cute to a whoooole nother level!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! (yes, I will be finding me some bread tags… SOON!). ;)

31. says

How clever are those!!! Oh my goodness! I’m your newest follower!!! I can’t wait to see what else you have on your site. Coming over from Roadkill Rescue….

32. Debi Bickel says

I’ve been saving these for a few years now. I would have parents from my class collect them and try to fill a jar by the sign in sheet. They always asked me what I was going to do with them. I said I’d figure something out. We used them for mosaic collages, but now I have something even better! Thanks for sharing this!

1. […] Je kent ze wel: een broodclip. Natuurlijk heel handig om een broodzak mee dicht te maken, maar je kunt er veel meer mee. Zo kun je de broodclips  heel handig gebruiken om het beginnetje van een rol plakband niet kwijt te raken. Jouw kabeltjes en snoertjes altijd door elkaar? Gebruik de broodclips dan om deze uit elkaar te houden. Schrijf de naam van het apparaat dat bij het snoertje hoort op het broodlabel en je grijpt nooit meer verkeerd. En als je zin hebt om te fröbelen, dan maak je van de broodclips echte monsters! […]