Recycled Bread Tag Monsters

Eeeee! I’ve been saving bread tags (those little plastic clips that keep your bread bag closed) for months just waiting for Halloween to get close. I’ve had this craft idea for these little monsters in my head for a while and finally got the chance to make them today. You could probably make them in much simpler fashion, but I love adding little details, embellishing, etc. So here’s how I made these recycled bread tag monsters if you are interested :)

UPDATED 12/21/10 – Just a quick update to add in here that I have posted a how-to for recycled bread tag snowmen if you are interested in seeing those. Below is a pic. :) Great for Christmas gift bags!

Recycled bread tag snowmen

Now on with the monster tutorial!

First I painted them with acrylic paint. I didn’t even put paint into the palette because only a small amount of each color is needed. I just shook the bottle and removed the lid, then stuck my paintbrush into the lid to get some paint. Most of my bread tags were white, but I did have a red one and left that one as is.

While the paint was drying, I sketched out some monster faces.

Then I started embellishing. I used a toothpick for some of the small lines, like this monster’s mouth…

and for the marks on this monster’s sides.

I dipped the handle end of a paintbrush into the paint to make the eyes and any polka dots. For really tiny polka dots and some of the pupils I used a toothpick.

On this one I used a Sharpie marker to draw on toes, then used a toothpick to fill in the toes with paint. A monster manicure!

I did finish them off with some sealer spray too, to keep the paint from rubbing or peeling off.

I’ve heard these make decent rubber band holders.. hmmm.

Is it just me, or does that yellow one remind you of Spongebob??

You like? I like! Fun!! :) Thanks for looking!

I actually am updating this post to include this fun treat bag! See that little guy in the bag? He’s one of many monster brownies I made on my cooking blog. Fun!

Here’s some more colorful Halloween crafts from me:
Halloween Painted Jar Luminaries
Monster Treat Bags
Juice Box Monsters
Halloween Felt Ghouls
Monster Brownies

More fun projects around the internet:
Bread Tag Jazzy Jewelry from FaveCrafts
Bread Tag Pendant on Flickr
Craft Ideas using old bread tags – from Thrifty Fun

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only crafts but recipes from my other blog, Amanda’s Cookin’ as well!

125 Responses to Recycled Bread Tag Monsters

staci @ lizard n ladybug says:

so cute! I wish I would have saved my tags all this time :)

Kristi Flanagan says:

Amanda – absolutely adORable!!!!! Soooo creative – love, love, love it!

Thanks so much for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party.

Hugs,

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

Katie's Nesting Spot says:

What a fun idea! I have a stash of bread tags because I like to thread them on ribbon and use rub-ons to turn them into scrapbook embellishements. Yours have so much detail and are a lot more work than I originally thought they might be. I thought you used paint pens which I find easier for detail work so brushes would make it a lot tougher for me to control and get the job done. Would love you to join me at A Crafty Soiree, every Thursday.

Annie Rose says:

so cute! I never save bread tags – Im going to start now lol

Lisa's Creative Home says:

Oh what a great idea! I never would have come up with that! This would be a fun Halloween project to do with my daughter:)

Sue says:

So cute! You do have such a creative eye!

Nana's Fun Stuff says:

Very creative and SO cute!! Wouldn't have thought of that ever. Now I will look at them differently when I open bread :)

Christine says:

Those are hilariously clever! Nice…

Anji* says:

I love your little monsters a lot! I wish I had some of those tags kicking around so we could make some!

.. via SNS

Jessica says:

They are super cute! Nice job! :)

Alison says:

Amanda, these are SO adorable!!! I love that you don't have to pay a dime. Recycled projects are the best!! But checking out your sidebar, you have a TON of cute Halloween projects!! Man o man, I am craft coveting!!

~Alison

michelle@somedaycrafts says:

I never, never, NEVER would have thought to do those! They are so cute, I mean, Manly!!!! Totally fun idea. I'm loving all your monster ideas lately!

Roslyn says:

Hysterical I love it!

Kristy says:

I LOVE these!!!!!! I save mine and rarely ever re-used them. I am sooooo going to make some. They would also make really cute magnets.

Beansieleigh says:

Oh my gosh.. Are these the funniest, and yet the CUTEST little monsters I've ever seen?!! I LOVE these!!!… Have a great weekend! ~tina

Andi @ Jane of all crafts says:

Found you by way of tatertots and jello and just had to check these out. SOOOOO clever and adorable! I can't wait to try to make my own. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you all soooo much for the kind comments! I really appreciate it :) been meaning to make these for a while now.

Katie – good idea to use paint pens. I don't use them that often, have always used paint, but I'm sure that would work great!

Alison – Thanks! Halloween is my favorite crafting holiday of all time. Sooo fun to get creative with monsters, ghosts, pumpkins, etc!

Michelle – Thank you! More monster ideas to come before Halloween gets here :)

Kristy – yes cute magnets, good idea!

linda @ CraftaholicsAnonymous says:

Awesome! I love them! Thanks for sending me a link. You should link these up with my fall frenzy linky party going on. (link is on my sidebar) my readers would love them!
    Happy crafting!
    Linda

Love and Lollipops says:

These are so so so cute and ingenious!!! I have lots of bread tags saved, but ours over here look a bit smaller than yours…might still work though!

Love and Lollipops says:

Silly me…just noticed that you used bigger and smaller ones!

Megan says:

Those are so cute!

Christina says:

Hahaha, they're TOO CUTE! I love that idea…never would have thought of that!! :)

Visiting from "Sunday Showcase…"

Lyndsey says:

So cute, I love them! I always save mine for re-use with frozen veggie bags, but now you've got me thinking! These might make cute magnets too. I'm a new follower from SNS.

Moogie says:

I'm your newest happy follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

Issa says:

this is just toooo cute!!! :) Thank you for the idea. Now I'll be saving those bread tags. :P

Beth says:

Thats adorable, love it!!! Saw you at Sunday Showcase, thanks for sharing!

Design Love says:

Wow, so clever!!! I just love them!

Cindy

Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

These are SO CREATIVE! I love them! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Tami says:

Love them, Amanda!

Michelle @ Sweet Something says:

Very cute! I love this idea!

Not Just A Mommy! says:

OMG! I so have monsters on the brain for our Halloween Monster Bash, and who would have thunk those annoying tags (ours are always getting lost once they come off the bag) could be so cute!! Maybe we won't lose them now….

Catch A Falling Star says:

Oh.my.gosh.
    I didn't even know what they were till a couple of pictures down.
    How stinkin' cute!!
    I love them!!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com says:

These are so fun & cute, Amanda! You always have the greatest ideas.

creativejewishmom/Sara says:

simple and Brilliant as usual Amanda! Thanks so much for all the great links on this week's Craft Schooling Sunday!

Something Wilde says:

WOW – so adorable! And to think I just mindlessly throw these away!

meyamo says:

These are absolutely adorable….now, just need to find some bread tags-all mine have come with twisty ties lately. Great project!

Bella says:

These are tooo cute, how very creative. ALthough I noticed so many of your projects are way awesome. Im so happy to have found you, and look forward to spending some time checking out your blog in more detail. If you are interested in adding one more party to your list, I would LOVE to have you link up to mine, and share your talent. Hope to see you soon!! Bella :)

scrapcraft says:

Adorable!

Nikoli says:

These are great!! Now where did I put that bag o' googly eyes!!?

C.R.A.F.T. says:

these are SO cute… come on over and link up to MMM!

malia says:

amanda! genius idea. i am always feeling badly when i recycle those bread tags. i hope you link these cuties up at a crafty soiree on thursday (-:

Katie says:

OMG! Love these tags! So unique!!! Love your blog… found you via Craft Gawker. Would love if you stop by SewWoodsy.blogspot.com

Michelle L. says:

Wow wow wow! These are the coolest things I've seen in ages! Instant new follower here!

Christie @ A Lemon Squeezy Home says:

Those are ADORABLE! How creative.

Kenzie says:

So cute! What a great idea!

Amy says:

So cute! I would have never thought to do this! Thanks for sharing such a cute idea. ;)

Alison says:

Hi Amanda! I featured these today on my blog. Thanks for the inspiration! Here is the link:

~Alison

Thank you all so much for the wonderful comments! I'm so happy everyone thinks they are as fun as I did! :):)

ANKH says:

OMG That is like a Sponge Bob Frankenpants! LOL

If you are interested, this craft meets the requirements for my Recycled Halloween Craft Challenge! (You can enter up to 3 entries!) You should totally check it out!

Wendy Piersall says:

These. Are. AWESOME.

Sandy Ang says:

How original and what a great use of bread tags !

M says:

SOOOOOOOO stinkin' adorable!!! :) LOVE IT! I'm so on the lookout for some of these now. Sadly, all the bread we have in the cupboards right now have twist ties to close them.

The Craft-Arty Kid says:

What a wonderful idea. Those tags make great monsters

Ecolicious says:

looking at all your crafts…you are so creative. now following you.

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey says:

oh my gosh, these are hysterical! these would be so fun to use for halloween goodie bags!

Kristy says:

I made some!!! http://textiles4you.blogspot.com/2010/09/monster-bread-tags.html Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recycling craft!

JoeyfromSC says:

WOW so impressive and cute!! I would've NEVER thought of that lol

Love!

Hi! says:

These are so cute! This is very creative! Thanks! I linked you to my blog: http://aworldofcrafts.blogspot.com/

Amy says:

the details you put into these are amazing! what talent you have! thanks for sharing.

Rachel @ Mr.Onesock says:

So cute!

Jenny @ Embellishing Life says:

Been looking around your blog some more…you are too crafty!! I so love this!

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

Melissa says:

Wow!! Seriously, there is nothing you can't turn cute!

Thanks Melissa! *blush*

On another note in case anyone is subscribed to the comments, or for those reading this later, bread tags usually aren't on bread anymore. However, they are on many other things like English muffins, bagels, hamburger buns, hot dog buns, etc :)

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

Just found you, and I'm hooked! By the way, my bread still has bread tags! Perhaps it varies around the country, but we always have tons of bread tags floating around the house.

Hi Lynn, thanks! It's weird how many places don't have bread tags on their bread anymore. Glad you like these!

Jenn says:

These are adorable!!! Such a cute idea!

Thanks so much jenn! :)

The Bonjour Four says:

those are amazing!!! how creative are you?! wow!

libby-bonjour.blogspot.com

Deanna Jane (cullenkidsmum) says:

Super cute idea!!! Found you at the Sunday Showcase party!

Come check out my blog~

LMcBurney says:

Those are hilarious! Love it!

Thanks you guys!

The Beading Gem says:

Wonderful idea! They are so well done. I think they will make great charms for jewelry. I will link in a future blog post so others can come and check this out. Pearl

Kool Crafts and Arts says:

Wonderful

PinkBlingCrafter says:

OMG such cute projects!!! I'm a follower now for sure thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks you guys! :) :)

I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes says:

Oh these are SO cute! love them!

Thanks so much!

For The Luv Of Boys says:

These are absolutely adorable! I was saving my bread tags to do something similar, thinking I was so original. lol You did awesome!

I'm your newest follower from http://fortheluvofboys.blogspot.com

Anonymous says:

Hi, we don't have bread tags in the UK, we used to a long time ago, but then Health and Safety got involved… Pity, because these are really great!

TeaLady says:

ADORABLE!!!

Thanks so much you guys!

Mary J says:

Love your taggies!! But I left with some yummy recipes. Signed the Recipe Monster :)

Thank you so much Mary!

Cristie says:

Just darling! Anyone would be thrilled to have that apprear on their doorstep :)

Thank you Cristie!

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey says:

Just wanted to let you know I made some of these after seeing them here! My son is having a costume playdate next week, and I thought these would be PERFECT for the goodie bags! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! I can't get over how stinki cute they are!

Yours are totally adorable Heidi!!!

Rebecca says:

This is such a an adorable project! I think it will get kids to concentrate and also let parents work with their kids! I posted this on my FB page!

sofie says:

I really love this idea, I'll start saving some bread tags from now on and use them as a craft activity with my kids soon. Thanks for this great idea.

Kristy says:

Oh! My! Goodness! This takes cute to a whoooole nother level!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! (yes, I will be finding me some bread tags… SOON!). ;)

taradara says:

How clever are those!!! Oh my goodness! I’m your newest follower!!! I can’t wait to see what else you have on your site. Coming over from Roadkill Rescue….

[...] Recycled Bread Tag Monsters Juice Box Monsters Monster Treat Bags Jack O’Lantern TV Halloween Hand Print Ghoul Banner Monster Brownies // Tags: adult, crafts, holidays, jar crafts, luminaries [...]

[...] probably remember the recycled bread tag monsters that I made for Halloween. Right after making those I knew I wanted to make some for Christmas too. [...]

Anna M. says:

Totally love these.

[...] might remember the bread tag monsters I made last year for Halloween and the bread tag snowmen I made last [...]

[...] the lookout for a project to make with them. Amanda of the aptly named blog Crafts by Amanda sent in this link to her wonderful tutorial on how to transform bread tags into these spook-tacular [...]

[...] Make Bread Tag Monsters- Crafts by Amanda gives you a whole tutorial [...]

[...] Make bread clip monsters like these at Crafts by Amanda. Bread Clip Tags Make Fun [...]

Debi Bickel says:

I’ve been saving these for a few years now. I would have parents from my class collect them and try to fill a jar by the sign in sheet. They always asked me what I was going to do with them. I said I’d figure something out. We used them for mosaic collages, but now I have something even better! Thanks for sharing this!

[...] In the meantime, I painted a few little bread tabs. I was looking for a project to do with these things so I wouldn’t have to throw them out anymore! I found a wonderful tutorial at Crafts By Amanda. [...]

[...] Je kent ze wel: een broodclip. Natuurlijk heel handig om een broodzak mee dicht te maken, maar je kunt er veel meer mee. Zo kun je de broodclips  heel handig gebruiken om het beginnetje van een rol plakband niet kwijt te raken. Jouw kabeltjes en snoertjes altijd door elkaar? Gebruik de broodclips dan om deze uit elkaar te houden. Schrijf de naam van het apparaat dat bij het snoertje hoort op het broodlabel en je grijpt nooit meer verkeerd. En als je zin hebt om te fröbelen, dan maak je van de broodclips echte monsters! [...]

[...] cute little recycled bread tag monsters created by Amanda at Crafts by Amanda just made me smile!  What a fun little craft to make.  They would be great for closing treat [...]

Lindsay says:

Just made a garland of monsters with this cute idea.
    Thought you might like to check it out.
    Thanks for the fun idea!
    Lindsay

[...] LOL) so you can package them in cellophane gift baggies. While you are at it, be sure to make some bread tag monsters to close the treat bags [...]

Dolores Q. says:

I’ll be saving my tags from now on-love them!

Michelle says:

I finally got around to making these. I loved them so much when I saw them featured on Someday Crafts a long time ago. Thanks for the clever idea!

[...] might also like:Recycled Bread Tag Monsters (from me)Handprint Spider (from [...]

Cody says:

I make monsters for a living so I think this is just positively adorable! Love it!

[...]  Make interesting mosaic-style artworks and use for craft – eg, bread clip figures, jewellery, and mobiles.  Here is a sweet bread tag charm necklace [...]

[...] loved the clever monster bread ties that was featured in Crafts by Amanda that I was inspired to spend an afternoon making some with my own little Monster. I had quite a [...]

[…] Bread Tag Monsters- Crafts by Amanda gives you a whole […]