Coffee Filter Christmas Tree

You ever have those days where an idea just pops into your head? Jut out of nowhere? That’s what happened with this Christmas tree craft! I was actually thinking about making some coffee filter angels with these natural coffee filters. That got me thinking about how you use the filter as a dress, and the ruffled look got me thinking about trees, and bam! There was the idea. Love that. :)

I have an entire box of these brown coffee filters, better known as natural coffee filters. I bought them when the store was out of Bunn filters. Regular filters just don’t cut it for a Bunn though, they just aren’t tall enough. I knew I could use them up sometime, so into the craft supplies they went.

I love the vintage look the natural coffee filters give to this tree. You could use old vintage buttons, but I chose red to add a bit of color. I had a couple of white flowers left over from another project, and used white round topped stick pins to use as ornaments as well. For the base, I used a round slice of wood I had left over from the rustic north woods ornaments I made last year.

Want to make one of these trees? You could even use white filters for a pretty white tree, or paint the filters with green water color paints for a green tree. If you paint the filters, they may lose some of their ruffle, so be prepared for that.

Coffee Filter Christmas Tree
designed by Amanda Formaro

You will need

foam cone
regular stick pins
9-10 natural coffee filters
white round topped stick pins
red buttons
2 white flowers glued back to back
scissors
hot glue gun
something flat for the base (optional but adds a little weight)

What you do

First, fold a few coffee filters in half and cut the center circle out.

Open a filter and place it over the top of the foam cone, like a ring, and bring it all the way down to the base of the cone. Use the stick pins to tack the filter to the cone, pushing the pins in at the top of the filter, not down by the ruffles.

Repeat this step, working your way up the cone.

When you get about half way up the cone you will need to trim a little off the filter ring. Since the cone will naturally get smaller toward the top, you will need less and less filter as you work upward. Just trim off what you don’t need, but set those pieces aside and use them at the top of the tree.

Use one of the center circles that you cut out of the filters to cover the top of the cone, securing with stick pins.

To decorate the tree, push round topped pins into the tree in various places, but don’t push the pin all the way in. This will allow the ruffles to look more natural. If you push the pin in all the way it will flatten the ruffles against the cone. So push the pin in halfway or three quarters of the way, then gently pull the filter toward you to hide the pin section.

Use hot glue to add buttons. I glued the two flowers together, back to back, so that either side of the tree had a flower face. Glue that to the top of the tree. Then just glue it to your base (I used a round slice of wood).

Visit thecsiproject.com

59 Responses to Coffee Filter Christmas Tree

Erin @ The Little Apartment says:

What a great idea! (: It's so simple and it looks easy.

Lisa's Creative Home says:

Very Cute little Christmas Tree! GReat idea!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com says:

Adorable, adorable!!! I shared it on my TT&J FB page and linked to you. LOVE it!

xox
    Jen

Melissa says:

Oh, these are cute…I know my girls would enjoy making these (along with the twenty-million other things on my list).

I really like the natural look of them.

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic says:

It looks like fabric! Gorgeous:)

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com says:

Amanda this is so cute!! I love it – and the pins and little buttuns look just adorable. :)

raggygirlvintage says:

Such a neat idea, love the ruffles!
    Tracey

Alison says:

GENIUS!! I love the natural ruffled look. I've seen so many styrofoam trees out there, but this has got to be one of my fav's!

Liz says:

I'm loving coffee filters lately, so this is great!

Ali Richardson says:

I am IN LOVE with this!! It is SO pretty!!

Its So Very Cheri says:

THAT is adorable.

cheri

Jaimee says:

This is SO cute!!! Thanks for posting this tutorial. I'm bookmarking it!

Tami says:

Amanda, That is such a pretty tree. I love it. That would make great teacher's gift, too. ;)

TidyMom says:

So adorable!!

thanks for linking up!!…..I featured you in the wrap up! http://tidymom.net/2010/im-lovin-it-wrap-up-12-4-10/

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Who could have ever thought of this but you, Amanda! So clever!!

Stephanie says:

What a fun and cute idea! And half the work is already done for you with the coffee filters being ruffled. Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial.

jndmann87 says:

oh these are so cute… until i read what you used I thought it was made with painters drop cloth. Love 'em.

Kimberlee says:

That came out soooo cute! I love how you used the pins, and they are decoration too.
    ~Kimberlee

Carmie of the Single Nester says:

This looks so sweet and rustic and lovely!

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack says:

I love the ruffled look! Such a cute twist on the coffee filter tree! I made one, too, but I'm going to give this a try. Love it! I'm addicted to making wreaths and trees w/ coffee filters.

Happy Holidays!
    Michelle

Jana says:

Turned out so cute!!

Come link up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com says:

This is so cute, Amanda!! Love it!

Corinna says:

absolutely freaking adorable! :)

Shauna {SK Studios} says:

saw you on The CSI Project… oh my goodness, i HAVE to try this now!!! such a creative idea- i love it!!! the stick pins and buttons just make the whole tree too :) thanks for the inspiration :D

Kim says:

This is one of the prettiest trees I've seen with coffee filters and no messing hot glue. Very nice.

Erin says:

How pretty!! I would have never guessed that was made with coffee filters. :)

Julie B says:

This is a VERY cute project. I think I've got some old coffee filters around some place. . . .

Throw Open the Windows says:

So cute!! Thanks for sharing your inspiration and a tutorial. Visiting from The CSI Project. Rebecca

maggy, red ted art says:

Oh wow, very festive and pretty. To think you made those out of coffee filters!!

Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Mod Podge Amy says:

This is awesome!

Renee @ where the grass is greener says:

So funny, I saw this on another blog and wanted to click, but forgot and I looked and looked and then it appeared on Transformation Thursday! So, happy because I definitely want to do this … lots of unused brown filters.

dnicolle says:

Amanda, I love your tree, and was inspired to try it myself. Check out my version at http://www.lifeisaparty.ca Thanks for sharing the great idea!
    Dannyelle

dnicolle – I just love how the white one looks, so classy! And the darker one for your sister is gorgeous too! Thanks so much for the shout out, so glad you liked the project. Merry Christmas! :)

Renee thank you so much, and thanks everyone!!

MammaPaola says:

It's fabulous! I love it! I've made one too, you can find it here (sorry, but it's an italian blog):

Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas!

Yours came out beautiful Mamma! Thank you for sharing that!

[...] Coffee Filter Christmas Trees [...]

[...] Coffee Filter Christmas Tree- I think if I made this I would keep it stark white and use bright green (citrus color) buttons and some silver. More my color palette. But check out the great step by step here Crafts by Amanda. [...]

LeAnn says:

I love, love, love this idea. I am thinking about using the different colored pearl push pins for a little more color.

Now tell me how to use the other type of coffee filters – the cone shaped ones. I bought some but they didnt’t fit. I know there has to be a way to “recycle” them

• 38.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

Oh there have to be tons of ways to use those! For Christmas my first thought is with kids, glue an open cone filter on top of a toilet tube. Then use water color paints to add color and make Christmas trees!

Lorraine says:

I love that tree you created using coffee filters. How clever and so very pretty. I might get up the nerve to try this. Thanks so much for sharing! ~ lorraine ~

Jean Breedlove says:

These are simply adorable! I was searching for a project that some of our Senior Adults might be able to handle, and this is it! I can hardly wait to begin the project. So many possibilities with this one.

These are absolutely adorable. They don’t look like filters, they look more like a fabric, love the ruffly look, too cute. I’m definitely making these. Keep up the good work, always looking for a new craft to do.

[...] saw these great coffee filter Christmas trees at Crafts by Amanda and knew I had to try them out. Check out her version, where she uses foam tree foams and stick [...]

Carrie says:

I wonder what these would look like with dyed filters like green for xmas? Or even like pink for a little girl?

[...] along: subscribe to my email updates or subscribe to the RSS feed. Coffee Filter Tree @ Crafts by Amanda Ruffled Felt Tree @ Bliss Bloom {blog} There were so many festive trees linked up to [...]

[...] 48.  Coffee Filter Christmas Tree [...]

[...] this coffee filter Christmas Tree DIY tutorial from Crafts by Amanda. Easy and cute! Use brown coffee filters for a vintage look, or [...]

[...] Buttons @ Cup of Delight #15: Ribbon @ Coley’s Corner #16: Coffee Filter Tree @ Crafts by Amanda   #17: Rose Petal @ Marvelously Messy #18: Paper Tree @ Sweet Pee and JoJo #19: Yarn [...]

[…] I adore this Coffee Filter Christmas Tree at Crafts by Amanda […]

Barbara Johnson says:

I love this idea and would love to print out instructions. Is there a print option I did not see? I have a lot of spools that are cone shaped that yarn came on. I may try to use one of them May be hard to stick pins thru.

[…] Ornament 20. Flocked Mini Topiary Trees 21. Easy Glittered Bulb Ornaments 22. Gilded Ornaments 23. Coffee Filter Christmas Tree 24. Striped Straw Wreath 25. DIY Topiary Trees 26. Christmas Countdown […]

[…] Or this great  Coffee Filter Tree from Crafts By Amanda […]