Kids will love making this candy corn sun catcher to hang in the window! The sun shines through the mosaic of tissue paper that they created. A fun fall craft, even for the little ones.
Faux Stained Glass Candy Corn
What you need:
- Heavy weight self-stick laminating film (i.e. Con-Tact paper)
- 2 sheets black construction paper
- Tissue paper: white, yellow, orange
- Glue stick
What you do:
- Print the pattern but do not cut it out yet. Expose about 15” of laminating film by removing the backing (leave the film on the roll), leaving the sticky side facing upward. Fold over the edge and adhere it to itself, just so you have an end to grab without sticking to your fingers.
- Place the pattern underneath the laminating film, positioning it toward one end. You will be folding the sticky side onto itself when you are finished, so you need enough room on the other end to do so. You can tape the pattern in place if you like to keep it from sliding around.
- Cut or tear a handful of each color tissue paper. Using the pattern underneath the film as a guide, begin by placing yellow tissue paper squares onto the middle section of the candy corn. Overlap the pieces as you go, completely covering the center portion of the candy corn.
- Next, use orange tissue paper to cover the bottom section of the candy corn. Again, overlapping as you work, don’t be concerned about staying in the lines.
- Finish off the top of the candy corn with white tissue paper squares. Use scissors to cut the film off the roll.
- Take the empty side of the laminating film and fold it over on top of the tissue paper candy corn, sandwiching it between both sticky sides. Smooth out and press out any air. Set aside
- Stack two pieces of black construction paper on top of one another. Take the pattern and cut out the candy corn. Place the candy corn pattern on top of the two sheets of black paper. Use glue stick to tack the center of the pattern to the paper to keep it from sliding around. You can also tack the top of the two sheets of black paper together if you like.
- Use scissors to trim through both black sheets simultaneously leaving about 1/2” border around the candy corn pattern.
- Fold the candy corn and black paper in half and cut a slit through the center. Open the sheets and pattern back up and insert the scissors into the center. Trim out the center of the candy corn, using the pattern as a guide, leave about 1/4” border on the pattern.
- Remove the pattern and you should have two identical black frames for your candy corn.
- Take the tissue paper candy corn and trim close to the edge of the tissue paper border. Place the frame onto the tissue paper candy corn. Trim more if needed. When ready, use glue stick to attach the frame to both sides of the candy corn.
Notes from Amanda
To hang on the window you can use a glue dot or a piece of double sided tape.
Copyright CraftsbyAmanda.com Amanda Formaro