Mod Podge Fabric Jars

Mod Podge Fabric Jars via CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

While sitting in my craft room one day, I realized that the jars holding my paintbrushes, pens and pencils were all quite plain. In fact, they were downright ugly! Often times I will practice a method of one sort or another on a jar, and that jar is then graduated to a useful item in my craft room. So I decided to pretty them up a little with some small bunches of fabric I had lying around.

Mod Podge Fabric Jars via CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

I don’t do a lot of sewing, so fabric isn’t really something I have a lot of. However, Walmart sells these fat quarters in little bundles and I am always looking through them. They are perfect for small projects like this, and often come in some of the cutest colors and patterns. I’m always digging through that section, looking for pretty colors, especially for the coming season and holidays.

Mod Podge Fabric Jars via CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

Of course, this project is also great for those of you that do have lots of fabric on hand. It’s ideal for those leftover pieces that are too big to throw away, and too small to make anything out of.

Mod Podge Fabric Jars via CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

There’s not much to it. Here’s the jars before I started. Pretty boring, very plain.

Mod Podge Fabric Jars via CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

Just cut enough to wrap around the jar and apply Mod Podge. I cut the bottom into sections to keep it from bunching up.

Mod Podge Fabric Jars via CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaroAdd some felt around the rims and decorate with some costume jewelry from the thrift store!

Mod Podge Fabric Jars

Rating: 51

Mod Podge Fabric Jars

What you need:

• Fabric
  • Iron
  • Mod Podge
  • Paintbrush
  • Felt
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue gun
  • Vintage looking buttons

What you do:

1. To figure out how much fabric you need, lay a jar onto the fabric and roll it up in it. Leave about an inch of extra fabric at both the top and bottom of the jar. Trim to fit around the jar, leaving yourself an inch or so extra. You can always trim the excess off if you need to.
  2. Paint the jar with Mod Podge. Lay the jar onto the fabric and use your fingers to press the fabric to the glass. Cut slits in the fabric overage at the top of the jar to make it easier to fold inside. Add some Mod Podge to the inside of the mouth of the jar and press the fabric inside. Repeat this process for the bottom of the jar. Set these aside to dry.
  3. Cut strips of felt and hot glue them around the rim of the jar. Hot glue buttons onto the felt to embellish.
  4. Fill with pens, pencils, paintbrushes etc!

21 Responses to Mod Podge Fabric Jars

Casse-bonbec says:

ah they look much prettier this way !

I love these! Just brought a case of old jars home and wasn’t sure what to do…never thought of Mod Poding with fabric! Thanks for the inspiration! Have a happy Sunday.

Carolyn Templelyn says:

I loves these fabric jars. I have covered some jars with wallpaper.

Deborah Jennings says:

I love this idea. Thank you so much for sharing this. I can’t wait to get some jars and get these done!

Debi M says:

Wow! those are sooo cute. I painted my cans but they just dont look that adorable.

Mythili says:

I am not a creative person but I wish I was. I have few old jars where I keep extra spoons. Now this project of yours have tempted me to decorate those jars :-)…I always browse crafts section in walmart and so far the only craft I have made are few stamped embroidery ! This is surely on my to do list and I am going to walmart this weekend to buy those printed fabric.

[...] Mod Podged organization jars at Crafts by Amanda [...]

These are so pretty AND functional! Love them! :)

sheryl says:

I was just looking for ideas as I’ve been saving sauce jars! Between cloth and paper I’m off to Mod Podge! Love the felt and button accent!

Bob Mikols says:

Good Day Amanda,

You have helped me before and I hope you can help me again. I like doing
    your crafts with the stro foam cups. This is easy for me to do. I saw saw
    some of your other projects for the 4th of July and other holidays. I know I saved them, but now I cannot locate them. Can you please send any and all projects with the stro foam cups.

Thank You.

Bob Mikols

[…] A little bit of fabric can brighten up any plain jars, giving your craft room or office a bright look.  To brighten your room take a look at this tutorial by Crafts by Amanda […]

sherrie says:

these are really cute and so quick and easy and adds a little pop of class and coor too cute