This is a fun craft for younger kids. Salt dough is very easy to make, uses simple ingredients you have in your kitchen, and with the help of cookie cutters, kids can make just about anything they want. I used alphabet cookie cutters to make these cute ABC magnets. They make a fun teacher’s gift too. And if you’re looking for ideas for your teacher, here are 50 cute sayings for your teacher appreciation gifts this year.
When you’re done here, check out thirty more salt dough crafts from Red Ted Art!
ABC Salt Dough Magnets
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 flour
- 1/4 water
- alphabet cookie cutters
- cookie sheet
- acrylic paint in primary colors
- acrylic sealer spray
- white craft glue
- button magnets
- Preheat oven 250 degrees F.
- Mix together the flour, salt and water to make a soft dough. If it's too sticky, add small amounts of flour until pliable. Be careful not to add too much as your creations will crack if the dough is too dry!
- Roll the dough out, or press it with your fingers, to about 1/2" thick. Cut ornaments out with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet, or you can place dough on cookie sheet and cut them out directly on the sheet.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Paint each letter with a different color acrylic paint and let dry. Repeat with another coat if needed. Spray with acrylic sealer spray.
- Use white craft glue to add magnets to the back.