These pretty luminaries are dressed up with bleached burlap and old costume jewelry. A great way to use up miss matched clip on earrings from your grandma or for those fun thrift store finds. I found mine at the flea market, a big bag of mismatched earrings, necklaces and other baubles all waiting to be repurposed into something fun and something pretty.
I was inspired my my burlap & doily luminaries when I made these.
I wanted to do something a little different, but I wanted it to be simple at the same time. These luminaries graced my Thanksgiving table this year, but they are really ideal for any time. Christmas, Valentine’s Day or just because!
They are pretty, they are practical and they are a fun recycling project that anyone can do. All you need is some burlap, twine, bleach and some colorful vintage jewelry to make these lovely luminaries.
You’ll bleach the burlap and let it dry.
Remove any unnecessary extras from the jewelry such as clip ons from the earrings or top rings from necklace charms.
A little hot glue and some twine later and you’ve turned recycled jelly jars and throw away jewelry into pretty votive holders to dress up your home!
Bleached Burlap Vintage Jewelry Luminaries
- Recycled glass jars washed, labels removed
- Hot glue gun
- Vintage jewelry clip on earrings, necklace charms, bracelets, etc
- Old towel
- Extra jar or glass bowl
- Fill a jar or glass bowl half full with bleach. Fil remaining half with water.
- Cut burlap into strips long enough to wrap around your votive jars. Dip burlap strips into bleach mixture and hold in bleach for 10-15 second. Place bleach burlap on old towel and continue with remaining strips.
- After all strips have been dipped in bleach, rinse strips in clean water. Allow to dry flat on towel.
- Hot glue burlap strips around clean jars. Wrap twine around jars twice and hot glue in place.
- Remove any unnecessary parts from the jewelry such as clip ons from earrings etc. Hot glue jewelry to the twine and burlap.
- Add a tea light candle to the jar.
Expert Tips & FAQs
- Fingerprint Daddy & Me Coffee Mug - May 30, 2023
- Sunflower Welcome Sign - May 16, 2023
- Patriotic Pinwheels - May 9, 2023
Amanda Formaro says
Thanks Wanda :)
Btw I used already bleached burlap from JoAnn craft store bought last fall. Folks can save a step.
Love the repurpose idea. I’ve done this with dollar store candles super quick.
doro K. says
these are so adorable!
I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!
Michele Caponi says
Love this idea, simple to do but yet looks so elegant !!!
Jackie Holliman says
I love this idea. I was lucky enough to be given some of my mother-in-laws old jewlery after she passed, I think I will make a couple of these for my daughter and granddaughter. Thank you for sharing Jackie
Cookie 17 says
Going try this one these are darling & sooo simple. Thank’s Cookie 17…