I don’t think it would be Christmas without a lot of glitter and plenty of snowmen. You can make snowman crafts from so many different things. Anytime I see something round I almost immediately picture it as a snowman! After all, how can you resist that cute carrot nose?
I always have CDs and DVDs lying around, so this is the perfect project to recycle them into. You could make this into an ornament by gluing a loop of ribbon or yarn to the back, or add a magnet and hang it on the fridge!
There are full printable instructions below. Sand your CD to get the shiny stuff off, paint it and glitter it.
Make your embellishments from felt, glue and glitter.
Stripes are optional, a solid scarf would be easier for littler kids, but older children may enjoy the challenge the stripes present.
You’ll cover the back of the CD with felt and make earmuffs using a pipe cleaner.
Here’s a short video that demonstrates the glittery effect!
- Recycled CD
- White acrylic paint
- Mod Podge or white craft glue
- 2 silver chenille stems
- Felt: light blue, orange, white
- Black puffy paint
- Glitter: white, orange, blue, purple, red, green, gold
- First, sand the front of the CD to rough it up, this is the side with any printing or logos on it. Paint it white and let dry. Place a piece of paper on the work surface. Now add a second coat of white paint and place it on the paper. While paint is still wet, sprinkle the entire surface with white glitter. Be sure to cover it liberally. Let it sit for several minutes before carefully lifting it and tapping off the excess glitter onto the paper. Use the paper to funnel the extra glitter back into the glitter container.
- Using the pattern, cut two ear muffs from light blue felt, the nose from orange felt and the scarf shape from white felt. Paint the orange felt with Mod Podge and sprinkle with orange glitter. Paint the blue felt with Mod Podge and sprinkle with blue glitter. After tapping off excess, return extra glitter to container as described above.
- Cut scarf from white felt using pattern, cut the fringe at the tail of the scarf. Paint with Mod Podge and sprinkle glitter in stripes (red and green). The tail fringe should be gold. As you can see in the top right photo above, when tapping off the glitter, you may get some spill over of red where the green is supposed to go. Simply paint over that with Mod Podge again and add the green glitter. As with each glitter step, tap off excess after each color, returning excess to bottle.
- Twist together the two chenille stems. Curve around the top of the CD and trim with scissors. Assemble the snowman using hot glue. Add the nose, chenille stem, ear muffs and scarf. Do NOT add the face yet! Cut a circle of white felt big enough to cover the back of the CD without it showing in front. Hot glue to the back. Cut felt pieces to fit over the back of the ear muffs and the area where the scarf meets the CD. This will help reinforce the pieces. Turn right side up and use black puffy paint to add eyes and mouth. Set aside to dry completely.