Paint Stick Snowmen

I needed a simple winter themed craft project that I could easily do with 25 5th graders in 15 minutes. I knew right away what that craft would be. Paint Stick Snowmen!

My youngest son’s teacher sent out a note to all parents regarding their winter party that would take place the last day of school before winter break. One of the activities she was requesting help for was a craft project. I emailed her and told her I would be happy to help, and I set to work.

It was important to keep this project within a winter theme, rather than Christmas or Hanukkah, so what better than snowmen? :) These cuties are made from paint stir sticks, the free ones that they give you in the paint department when you buy paint. I stopped by WalMart and told the guy in the paint department that we were doing a class project and he gave me 35 paint sticks, no questions asked. :)

Knowing we only had about 15 minutes to get this done, I decided to paint the sticks ahead of time. I actually painted two layers on each side and sprayed them all with a clear acrylic sealer. I didn’t want the sticks flaking or getting scratched when I placed them all in the bag together, hence the sealer. You can certainly skip that step and just do one coat of paint if you like.

I also cut all the material to be used for scarves and hats, and I put together a variety of buttons and beads, and broke all the orange toothpicks in half for the noses. The only thing I would do different next time is instead of black paint and toothpicks, I would opt for black markers to make the faces. While it wasn’t really messy, I think it would have been easier.

All in all, the kids had a fabulous time and it was really amazing seeing how many different ways you can make a snowman!

Here are some pictures of the class as well as a picture of my son, Dominic, with his snowman. :)

(instructions below)

Paint Stick Snowmen
[printable version ]

You Will Need

wooden paint stir stick painted white
3″ x 3″ piece of felt for hat
8″ x 1″ strip of material or felt
3 buttons or pony beads
1/2 of a orange toothpick
6″ piece of yarn
white craft glue
scissors
black marker or black paint
hot glue gun

What You Do

Wrap 3″x3″ fabric around the top of the stick and hot glue together in the back. If you have more time, you can use white craft glue or felt glue and attach a wooden clothespin to the stick and hat to hold it in place while it dries. Tie yarn around the top of the hat and trim ends. Fringe the top of the hat with scissors if you like.

Wrap 8″x1″ strip of material around the neck, tie in a knot. Fringe the ends with scissors.

Use white craft glue to attach 3 buttons or beads below the scarf and glue the orange toothpick on for the nose. Use black marker, or a toothpick dipped in black paint to create the mouth and eyes.

Let everything dry. All done!

Comments

1. kudoskookies says

Great project! Those are really cute! I suppose you can make snow kids by using tongue depressors and have an entire family.
    Renee

2. Heather@ theherberfamily.blogspot.com says

My daughter's 2nd grade class made these, but instead of putting a hat on, they painted the top inch black, then added a mini Popsicle stick, also painted black, to make it look like a top hat. They then added a ribbon to the back, so they can be hung up.

Fun & easy!

3. Großmutters Nähkästchen says

Oh, it's a verry nice idea an think the kids had a lot of fun!
    Wish you more fun an a warm winter!
    Friendly greetings from Germany!
    The Grandmother
    Michaela

4. Amanda says

Thanks guys :)

Heather, yes! Those exact ones are on familycorner.com, I site I used to own :) I decided to do the fabric hats so the kids could choose colors instead of just going with the black. But I know exactly which ones you are talking about :)

5. Tami says

This is one of my favorite projects that you've ever done. Of course, we did the first version with the wooden hats but this version is so darn cute, too!

We did the other version as a class project 4 yrs. ago when my son was in 2nd grade. While I was packing away my Christmas stuff this year, I found his snowman stick! I would love for my daughter to make one next year when she is in second grade.

The kids look like they were having fun!

6. Anonymous says

Amanda, I just now found your blog and I'd like to say that of all the blogs I've looked at yours is one of the BEST. I love the simpleness yet how adorable your crafts are. I love this type of thing. I plan on spend a lot of time today looking through all your past posts. I'll be back to see what you come up with next. Joan from Missouri

7. LaurieStar says

These are adorable! Thanks for sharing. We have a holiday shop coming up this week with our school's PTO, and I have been looking for some good ideas! Thanks! :)

8. Lisa says

We made a version of these today in my son's class! But we used the big tongue depressors and they can be used as bookmarks. The kids loved them:)

9. More Than A Mom says

Fabulous project. I'm your newest follower – can't wait to see what other projects you come up with (for me to do with my kiddies) ;)

10. Anonymous says

I love this idea, so I think I will paint this snowman on the fence pickets you can purchase at the bldg. supply stores! They are not expensive! They can be attached to the mailbox in 2s or in other places around your yard or house, or you can use them inside as well!

11. Kigger says

love these! Plan to do them for our class winter party.

I think instead of the felt for hats, I may try buying “dollar store” adult size cotton/stretchy gloves and cut the fingers off. 2 pairs of gloves will be enough for my child’s class. and then there is no need to worry about glue drying..

12. paula says

Planned on doing this with the paint stirrers for my daughters girl scout troop. Her 5th grade teacher did them with the tongue depressors and made them ornaments for the parents for the holiday. Still plan on doing it with the troop because they are an excellent idea.

13. Rini Hoffman says

Awesome Project! I’m going to be making these with my Beaver Scout colony. Thank you so much for the idea.

14. JoEllen says

Amanda, why can’t I view your snowman measuring stick photo? I found it once but it won’t show. Can you send me a picture?

Thanks.

15. Nancy Marks says

These are an old favorite of mine. I used tongue depressors and for the nose I painted whole sunflower seeds orange and glued them at an angle. For the hat I bought 1/8th yd of stretching knit fabric – I still have some left after many years. Have fun.