Paint Stick Snowmen

I needed a simple winter themed craft project that I could easily do with 25 5th graders in 15 minutes. I knew right away what that craft would be. Paint Stick Snowmen!

My youngest son’s teacher sent out a note to all parents regarding their winter party that would take place the last day of school before winter break. One of the activities she was requesting help for was a craft project. I emailed her and told her I would be happy to help, and I set to work.

It was important to keep this project within a winter theme, rather than Christmas or Hanukkah, so what better than snowmen? :) These cuties are made from paint stir sticks, the free ones that they give you in the paint department when you buy paint. I stopped by WalMart and told the guy in the paint department that we were doing a class project and he gave me 35 paint sticks, no questions asked. :)

Knowing we only had about 15 minutes to get this done, I decided to paint the sticks ahead of time. I actually painted two layers on each side and sprayed them all with a clear acrylic sealer. I didn’t want the sticks flaking or getting scratched when I placed them all in the bag together, hence the sealer. You can certainly skip that step and just do one coat of paint if you like.

I also cut all the material to be used for scarves and hats, and I put together a variety of buttons and beads, and broke all the orange toothpicks in half for the noses. The only thing I would do different next time is instead of black paint and toothpicks, I would opt for black markers to make the faces. While it wasn’t really messy, I think it would have been easier.

All in all, the kids had a fabulous time and it was really amazing seeing how many different ways you can make a snowman!

Here are some pictures of the class as well as a picture of my son, Dominic, with his snowman. :)

(instructions below)

Paint Stick Snowmen
[printable version ]

You Will Need

wooden paint stir stick painted white
3″ x 3″ piece of felt for hat
8″ x 1″ strip of material or felt
3 buttons or pony beads
1/2 of a orange toothpick
6″ piece of yarn
white craft glue
scissors
black marker or black paint
hot glue gun

What You Do

Wrap 3″x3″ fabric around the top of the stick and hot glue together in the back. If you have more time, you can use white craft glue or felt glue and attach a wooden clothespin to the stick and hat to hold it in place while it dries. Tie yarn around the top of the hat and trim ends. Fringe the top of the hat with scissors if you like.

Wrap 8″x1″ strip of material around the neck, tie in a knot. Fringe the ends with scissors.

Use white craft glue to attach 3 buttons or beads below the scarf and glue the orange toothpick on for the nose. Use black marker, or a toothpick dipped in black paint to create the mouth and eyes.

Let everything dry. All done!

39 Responses to Paint Stick Snowmen

kudoskookies says:

Great project! Those are really cute! I suppose you can make snow kids by using tongue depressors and have an entire family.
    Renee

Heather@ theherberfamily.blogspot.com says:

My daughter's 2nd grade class made these, but instead of putting a hat on, they painted the top inch black, then added a mini Popsicle stick, also painted black, to make it look like a top hat. They then added a ribbon to the back, so they can be hung up.

Fun & easy!

Großmutters Nähkästchen says:

Oh, it's a verry nice idea an think the kids had a lot of fun!
    Wish you more fun an a warm winter!
    Friendly greetings from Germany!
    The Grandmother
    Michaela

Thanks guys :)

Heather, yes! Those exact ones are on familycorner.com, I site I used to own :) I decided to do the fabric hats so the kids could choose colors instead of just going with the black. But I know exactly which ones you are talking about :)

KKL Primitives says:

Very cute!!!

Anne @ Floralshowers Creative Craft Blog says:

ha ha. this is so cute! I made a snowman very similar to these but a little different. My mom made some smaller ones as well and used them as ornaments on her tree. You can view mine here:

Sue Sparks says:

I LOOOOOOVE this! A keeper for sure! THANKS! :)

Tami says:

This is one of my favorite projects that you've ever done. Of course, we did the first version with the wooden hats but this version is so darn cute, too!

We did the other version as a class project 4 yrs. ago when my son was in 2nd grade. While I was packing away my Christmas stuff this year, I found his snowman stick! I would love for my daughter to make one next year when she is in second grade.

The kids look like they were having fun!

Sonia says:

Uber cool..cute and so simple to make..love your stuff!

Anonymous says:

Amanda, I just now found your blog and I'd like to say that of all the blogs I've looked at yours is one of the BEST. I love the simpleness yet how adorable your crafts are. I love this type of thing. I plan on spend a lot of time today looking through all your past posts. I'll be back to see what you come up with next. Joan from Missouri

LaurieStar says:

These are adorable! Thanks for sharing. We have a holiday shop coming up this week with our school's PTO, and I have been looking for some good ideas! Thanks! :)

Lisa says:

We made a version of these today in my son's class! But we used the big tongue depressors and they can be used as bookmarks. The kids loved them:)

That's so fun Lisa!

More Than A Mom says:

Fabulous project. I'm your newest follower – can't wait to see what other projects you come up with (for me to do with my kiddies) ;)

Thanks More than a Mom! :)

Missy says:

I am going to be trying these for my preschool classes! Can't wait to see how it goes. Thanks for sharing.

Andrea says:

This was a very fun project to do with my second graders. Thanks for the great idea! I linked you over at http://www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com
    ~Andrea

Thanks Andrea, that is so fun! Love your idea of using the orange sharpies instead of the toothpicks, so smart!

Anonymous says:

I love this idea, so I think I will paint this snowman on the fence pickets you can purchase at the bldg. supply stores! They are not expensive! They can be attached to the mailbox in 2s or in other places around your yard or house, or you can use them inside as well!

[...] craft with her two little girls, so I decided to make some snowmen out of loo roll and some little snowmen out of a lollipop stick. The snowflakes are of course, also made from loo roll. The girls were [...]

Kigger says:

love these! Plan to do them for our class winter party.

I think instead of the felt for hats, I may try buying “dollar store” adult size cotton/stretchy gloves and cut the fingers off. 2 pairs of gloves will be enough for my child’s class. and then there is no need to worry about glue drying..

Laura says:

Great idea for my cub scouts to make for the community tree decorating. Many thanks for sharing!

Beth says:

LOVE these -they are too cute! I wanted to invite you to link up to TGIF kid-oriented LInky Party here: http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
    Merry Christmas,
    Beth =-)

paula says:

Planned on doing this with the paint stirrers for my daughters girl scout troop. Her 5th grade teacher did them with the tongue depressors and made them ornaments for the parents for the holiday. Still plan on doing it with the troop because they are an excellent idea.

[...] an awesome project from Crafts By Amanda that I just HAD to try right away – – –   Paint Stick Snowmen.  As you can tell by my title (and because I’m me) I made some changes.  I think both projects [...]

Just wanted to let u know how cute I think this is. I had to make ome myself. I did the craft stick and used peppercorns for the eyes and mouth and colored a tooth pick with an orange Sharpie. I also added a snow blanket brim to the hat. I will be doing the project at church with our Wednesday night kid’s group. I think the kids will have a blast!

Rini Hoffman says:

Awesome Project! I’m going to be making these with my Beaver Scout colony. Thank you so much for the idea.

JoEllen says:

Amanda, why can’t I view your snowman measuring stick photo? I found it once but it won’t show. Can you send me a picture?

Thanks.

Nancy Marks says:

These are an old favorite of mine. I used tongue depressors and for the nose I painted whole sunflower seeds orange and glued them at an angle. For the hat I bought 1/8th yd of stretching knit fabric – I still have some left after many years. Have fun.

Ananasa says:

That’s actually a really cute idea! Thank you so much for sharing this! Love it