Cardboard Tube Bunny Rabbit Family

Ahh bunnies! They’re so cute, and cuddly, and colorful… ? Well, these are anyway! It doesn’t have to be Easter to make some cute bunnies, but their pretty colors remind me of jelly beans! Using cardboard tubes from paper towels or bathroom tissue, you can make this fun and bright family of bunny rabbits with your kids!

Some people are uncomfortable using bathroom tissue rolls, especially those in a day care setting. Paper towel cardboard tubes are the same diameter, just longer, and work equally well. You can simplify your bunnies depending on the age group of your children. To simplify some of these steps, skip the apron on mama bunny and the buttons on daddy, and you can also use pink felt triangles (or construction paper) for the noses. Wiggle eyes will work too instead of marker. I do use a hot glue gun in this project, so please supervise children closely or use a quick drying glue such as Beacon’s instant grab glue.

Cardboard Tube Bunny Rabbit Family

3 cardboard toilet paper tubes
1 cardboard paper towel tube
7 miniature pink and/or orange pom-poms
felt in various colors for bow ties and hair bows
hot glue gun
black Sharpie marker
scissors
white, orange and green felt for apron (optional)
2 buttons (optional)

Paint (I used the following Folk Art colors, you can use whatever type of acrylic craft paint you prefer):

Pink Melon (dark pink)
Medium Orange (bright orange)
Pink Balloon (light pink)
Medium Blue (bright light blue)
Daffodil Yellow (bright yellow)
Purple Lilac (light purple)
Lime Green (bright light green)

Cut the cardboard tubes as follows. You will end up with 5 baby bodies, 2 adult bodies and 14 ears.

Paper towel tube – Cut a 4.5″ piece for dad, a 4″ piece for mom and five 1/2″ ears.
Toilet tube #1 – Cut two 1.5″ bodies and two 1/2″ ears.
Toilet tube #2 – Cut two 1.5″ bodies and two 1/2″ ears.
Toilet tube #3 – Cut one 1.5″ body and five 1/2″ ears.

Paint each tube, inside and out, and a set of ears to go with each body.

Run a line of hot glue inside the ear and squeeze it closed to flatten it.

Use scissors to trim tops of ears to make them pointy.

Hot glue the ears to the top inside of the cardboard tube body.

Use pink paint to paint a line on each ear.

Glue on mini pom-pom noses and cut bows from felt and attach. For girls, attach bows up by the ears and for boys at the bottom front of the body.

Use Sharpie to add eyes and whiskers.

If you like, cut a simple apron from white felt for the mom. Cut out a small carrot from orange and green felt and glue to the apron. Glue apron in place. Glue 2 buttons to the front of the dad.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only crafts but recipes from my other blog, Amanda’s Cookin’ as well!

Visit thecsiproject.com

Comments

1. [email protected] says

so, so cute amanda! I love bunnies!
    gail

2. ...And Faux Pearls says

I love these! I just made them for my stepson to play with. I think I had almost as much fun making them as he will. :)

3. Look beyond the picket fence says

I love these, I want to make a few for my Easter table. Thanks for the instructions!
    denise

4. Jennifer says

Those are so stinking cute!!! I knew I was hoarding paper towel and TP tubes for a reason!! Guess what I'm doing with my girls this weekend!

5. Becky says

These are so awesome! I am so glad I found you at Tatertots and Jello. I'm going to try to make these! :)

6. creativejewishmom/Sara says

adorable Amanda, thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday together wit the rest of your great projects!

7. Veronica says

Love the idea!! Amazing!! I´ll share this on my blog (is a blog in spanish, so I´ll be traslating the instructions, ´cause I think is just sooo pretty!! Thanks for this tutorial and fantastic Idea.
    my blog is mamifashion.blogspot.com

8. Domestic Goddess says

I'm a "pweeee-skewwwww" teacher and these would be so much fun for my kids to make. Thanks for the inspiration! Your blog is full of ideas that I know I'm going to use in my classroom.

9. Julie Anne says

I have started saving my toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls… so excited to find more fun crafts to do with them! :)
    visiting from CSI project

10. says

So adorable! I know I have a lot of toilet paper tubes that get thrown out all the time. These would be a cute project to use them for!

11. Karen M. Thomas says

Simply put…ADORABLE! Just what I was looking for, something I could make with my daughter too. I believe I can actually do this. No doubt my little one can master it :) Thanks Amanda, have a wonderful, blessed Easter!