Rock Bees

I have an older house, so this weekend we had to put our screens on. All it took was one bee to fly through the open window and into the living room and I was in the shed digging the screens out. Bees are really pretty and definitely a sign of warmer weather, but I’m allergic. I’d rather have these cute little bees made from rocks, than the real thing. Those guys need to stay outside. :)

Have the kids collect some smooth rocks from the yard. Wash them with soapy water, rinse and dry well.

Paint them yellow and let dry. Two coats is probably better depending on the coverage of your yellow, but one will suffice.

Now add black stripes.

Use the handle end of a paintbrush to dot on the whites of the eyes. Let the white dry completely.

Use the handle end of a smaller paintbrush (or a toothpick) to dot on the black part of the eyes.

To make the wings I used some leftover wire I had. You could use chenille stems if you prefer. Just wrap it around the tip of your finger, then do another coil right next to that one. Trim off excess.

I put mine on with hot glue, but you could certainly use white craft glue.

Set something small, like a pony bead, behind the wings to prop them up while the glue dries.

And there you have it, plenty of bees that won’t sting you!

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only crafts but recipes from my other blog, Amanda’s Cookin’ as well!

Comments

1. Jenny @ Embellishing Life says

These are adorable! I've seen ladybug ones, but these bees are so cute. Great idea using the wire for the wings. :)

2. Sue says

These are so cute Amanda! I have a "thing" for bees (cute ones, anyway):) I've painted some on rocks also, but they are not as cute as yours. I LOVE the wings!

3. Nicole {tired, need sleep} says

These are absolutely adorable! I know my son will love making these – thank you!

4. RedTedArt says

I LOVE! These are very very cute. Love the little wire wings!

Thank you for sharing on Kids Crafts Party!

Maggy

5. Megan says

Very cute. I love bumblebees. At least from a distance. ;) It would make me smile to see these guys everyday. At first I thought the wings were old pairs of glasses with the glass removed. I see now it is wire but that would be a great recycle kind of craft for old glasses. Great one Amanda!

6. Ally Cooper says

So cute Amanda, this might be just what I need to do to keep my kids from freaking out every time they see a bee!

7. Nama Halacy's Comfy Cottage says

My grandies and I will be making these cute little bees, you are so clever!

8. Amanda says

Hi Rachel and thanks for the feature! Yes you can certainly continue to link to me in this fashion :) Thanks!

9. Julie says

Love these-think I will spray the finished product with a clearcoat so they stay nice longer.