Boys and girls alike will love making this fun UFO from paper plates and craft jewels. This is a great project to chase away the cabin fever that comes with freezing winter temperatures!
If you can remember, come July 2nd it will be UFO Day! So tuck this project away and save it for that special day too.
And in case you’re wondering, yes! It flies! So have fun, make a flying saucer and have a great crafting afternoon with the kids.
[full printable instructions below] First you’ll paint two paper plates silver. While they are drying make your filler by twisting up some newspaper. This will keep your paper plates from collapsing when you glue them together. You’ll paint the foam cup too.
After you’ve put the UFO together, attach the jewels. I used hot glue. If you choose to use hot glue, it’s best if a grown up does that. Glue dots will work too!
If you like, hang this flying saucer from the ceiling! Use a toothpick to poke a hole in the top of the cup before gluing it to the top of the saucer. Thread string through the hole, knot from the inside and glue it. Skip the step of adding the round craft jewel to the top.
- 2 paper plates
- 1 Styrofoam coffee cup
- Silver acrylic paint
- Craft jewels
- Instant grab glue, hot glue gun or glue dots
- String (optional for hanging)
- Paint the backside of both paper plates and the Styrofoam cup silver.
- Turn paper plates over. Twist newspaper and glue it inside one of the plates. This will give the plates some cushion and filler, keeping them from collapsing.
- Glue the plates together, silver sides facing out.
- Cut the Styrofoam cup in half, keeping the top half, discarding the excess. Glue small craft jewels around the cup and glue the cup to the top of the saucer. Glue a large craft jewel to the top of the cup.
- Glue craft jewels around the outside of the saucer, leaving about an inch of space between each one.
Latest posts by Amanda Formaro (see all)
- Easy Yarn Crafts: Creative Ways to Use Yarn Without Knitting or Crocheting - March 17, 2017
- Egg Shell Mosaic Vase - March 14, 2017
- 40+ Creative Easter Crafts for Kids - March 6, 2017