This tutorial for our messy bun hat (also known as the mom bun hat or the ponytail hat) is quite possibly the simplest version out there. This easy knitting pattern is worked flat and sewn with a seam, making it totally newbie friendly.
How to Knit a Messy Bun Hat
While ponytails have been around for years, the messy bun is a newer fad that has taken the casual fashion world by storm. But cooler temps put a real damper on this fun new way to wear your hair, so enter the messy bun hat!
This cozy hat is a great replacement for headbands that just don’t keep you warm, while still letting you show off that cute bun or pretty ponytail! Ready to get started?
Rated: Beginner / Easy
- Cast On
- K2tog ( knit two together)
- P2tog ( purl two together)
- Bind Off
Materials you need:
K2tog = Knit two together – a very simple decrease, where you turn two stitches into one. Insert your right hand needle into the next two stitches on your left hand needle, and knit them both together. (K2tog)
P2tog = Purl two together – a very simple decrease, where you turn two stitches into one. Insert your right hand needle into the next two stitches on your left hand needle, as if to purl, and purl them both together. (P2tog)
- Cast on 39 stitches
- Row 1-4: *K3, P3; repeat acrossKnit
- Row 5: Knit
- Row 6: Purl
- Repeat Rows 5 & 6 until piece measures 7 ” from cast on edge
- Row 1: *K4, K2tog; repeat from * across
- Row 2: *P3, P2tog; repeat from * across
- Row 3: *K2, K2tog; repeat from * across
- Bind off, securing the last stitch.
- Break yarn, leaving a long tail and sew up the seam.
- Trim yarn and weave in all ends.
I hope you enjoyed this pattern for our messy bun hat! You might also want to try this Faux Cable Infinity Scarf! If you like to crochet, try these crochet sandals or take a look through over 40 crochet patterns here.