Rainbow crafts are really fun for kids because they are so colorful and very easy to make. Sure, you usually see rainbow crafts during St. Patrick’s Day, but rainbows are most common in spring due to the high amount of rain and the parting of the clouds to make way for the sun. Have you ever explained the phenomenon of a rainbow to your kids?
The simple explanation, as far as kids are concerned, is that when sunlight reflects against water droplets in the air, it causes a a beautiful spectrum of light to appear in the sky.
Did you know there are actually 7 colors to a rainbow? They are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. In most rainbow crafts, indigo has been lost and only violet, or purple, remains.
Same goes for this rainbow magnet. First of all, construction paper and felt don’t come in that many variations of colors, so it’s easier to stick with just purple. But, if you want to really teach the kids all about rainbows, check out the information on rainbows at Wikipedia for a detailed explanation.
If you’d like to try another rainbow project, I recently posted this Coiled Cardboard Tube Rainbow Mobile over at Spoonful!
First, print out the pattern. Start by cutting out the full rainbow shape in red felt.
Next you’ll cut off the top first layer of the rainbow from the pattern. now use the remaining pattern to cut out the orange section.
Repeat this process for each layer and color. Then just add a magnet to the back!
More Rainbow Crafts
Rainbow Crafts: Layered Felt Rainbow Magnet
- Felt: red orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
- Felt glue or hot glue gun
- Rainbow pattern
- Draw a simple rainbow. Lay the pattern onto the red felt and cut out the outline of the rainbow.
- Take the pattern and cut off the top section of the rainbow, leaving 5 remaining sections.
- Lay the pattern onto the orange felt and cut out the outline of the rainbow.
- Take the pattern and cut off the top section of the rainbow, leaving 4 remaining sections.
- Repeat these steps for the yellow, green, blue and purple sections.
- Layer the felt together to create a rainbow and glue the layers together.
- Glue a magnet to the back.