Light Bulb Turkey

I made this turkey light bulb several years ago for FamilyCorner.com. I really love the way he came out! At one point I was kind of on a kick with light bulb ornaments, you’ll see that in the coming days as I post my snowman, penguin and angel ornies. Painting on light bulbs isn’t hard, the trick is the make sure each layer of paint is completely dry before you start the next to avoid inadvertently peeling off the layer before.

There’s a printable version of these instructions here.

You will need

burnt out light bulb
small straw hat
2- 1 1/2″ wood hearts
acrylic paint: brown, orange, white and black
felt: red and orange
small silk flower
6-8 fall colored feathers
washer
paint brush
acrylic sealer spray
hot glue gun
white craft glue
pattern

What you do

Place light bulb on an empty upside down egg carton or anything else that will help hold it steady. Paint the entire surface of the light bulb with brown paint. Let this coat dry COMPLETELY or you may experience peeling on the second coat.

Paint the wood hearts with orange paint and let dry. Repeat for second coat. Using the pattern, cut out turkey waddle from red felt and beak from orange felt.

Hot glue small silk flower to the front of the straw hat, off to the side.

Add a second coat (and a third if needed) of brown paint to the light bulb. Let dry.

Glue the two hearts together at the sides, just above the points so that they form the feet. Use white craft glue to attach the washer to the hearts, this is what the light bulb will rest on. White craft glue is tackier and will hold better than hot glue for this purpose. (see photo)

Position the light bulb on to the washer. When you have it where you want it, glue it in place with white craft glue and let dry.

Hot glue the hat to the top of the light bulb. Use the handle end of the paint brush to add whites of eyes. Do not add the black part of the eyes until the white has dried.

Glue the beak and waddle below the eyes.

Hot glue feathers to the back of the light bulb in a fan for the tail.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

31 Responses to Light Bulb Turkey

artsy_momma says:

That is so cute! I can't wait to see the snowman and penguin- my son LOVES penguins :) I would love for you to share this on my Thanksgiving MckLinky if your interested ~

Gina says:

I love this! We've used light bulbs for penguins-but we might have to try this this week. Thanks for sharing it.

Craftzilla says:

Agreed, this is adorable! I think on mine I'd put a little felt top hat. You know, for formal occasions.

Creative Craft Ideas says:

HA HA HA HA. this is so funny. and so cute. HA HA HA.

Anne

Craft Passion says:

This is awesome and cute!!!! love it…mmmm got to collect some burnt out bulbs around the house!!!

seemommysew says:

That is so cute! If you live in the US, you should enter the tutorial contest I'm hosting: http://seemommysew.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/the-great-tutorial-contest/

Rena says:

This is great! I wish I had seen it last week though. Rats.

sleepyhead designs studio says:

Okay–this is sooo cute too. And I love the glove turkey! I just signed up to follow your blog-such cute ideas!

Amy (naptimecrafters) says:

too cute! Linking up to the Turkey Show at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com on Nov. 12

the cape on the corner says:

such a fun idea! i wish i had saved all my burnt out bulbs!

Life with the Lebedas says:

Oh my gosh, that is too cute!! Thanks for sharing and linking up on Craftify It Thursday!

Jamie says:

My kids will love this!!! So adorable and so simple. Thank you for sharing. I'm a new follower

Nike@ChooseToThrive says:

Adorable!!

Thanks everyone!

April says:

This is too cute!

Thank you April!

amy says:

so cute!

Tammy says:

I love this! I'm all over kids' crafts. Thanks for sharing!

Lori says:

NO. FREAKING. WAY. I LOVE it. I'm totally going to try this. I love you! I gotta think where in my house I have one of those bulbs. I replaced nearly all of them with the squiggly ones. Wait! Laundry room! There is one in there! Awesome idea!

Tammy@ Not Just Paper and Glue says:

This is adorable! What a great way to recycle!

You guys are awesome, thanks!

mary says:

love the turkey,so glad i saved some of my old light bulbs. you have wonderful cute ideas. thank you so much. keep up the good work.

Tammy says:

How cute.. I have done Christmas Ornament out of the light bulbs but I have never thought of doing the Turkey’s before. I like this idea a lot!! I am always trying to find another cute turkey idea and I love to recycle things when I make my crafts!!

[...] a straw hat on this cute lightbulb turkey with colored feathers for his [...]

[...] Messy #6: Turkey Hair Bow @ Nancy’s Couture  #7: Light bulb Turkey @ Crafts by Amanda #8: Canned Good Turkeys @ Scene of the Grime #9: Turkey Place mats [with pockets!] @ She [...]

[…] I thought about just painting them, like my light bulb snowman, the light bulb penguin, or my light bulb turkey. […]

susan says:

I just Love all your wonderful craft ideas! These light bulb Turkeys are so cute. Thanks for sharing.

I’m writing a post about crafts I wish I could make. Do you mind if I include this one? I’ll also include a link to your post in it. Let me know – thanks!

• 28.1

Hi Danielle :-) You are welcome to feature the project provided you do not reprint the tutorial, simply link over to the craft here. And you may use the picture. Thanks for the feature!