Safety Pin Bracelet

My daughter came to me one day and said she saw these really cool bracelets made from safety pins and beads. As luck would have it, I had just seen one as well so I promised to make her one. She wanted one made with smaller pins than the one she had seen, so I bought 3/4″ safety pins for mine.

Notes: Make sure you do the needle nose plyer step, don’t skip it. I was walking through WalMart and felt something poking me. I discovered that two pins on my bracelet had come open, all the beads had fallen off, and then were stabbing me as I walked. Also, made sure you get cord that will fit properly through the safety pin head and bottom. I used elastic beading cord.

Safety Pin Bracelet

3/4″ safety pins
Elastic beading cord
Seed beads
White craft glue
Toothpick

Open a safety pin and thread as many seed beads on as you can, leaving enough room to close the pin. Fasten the pin and squeeze it together using needle nose pliers to keep it from opening. Continue this process until you have enough pins for your bracelet.

Cut two pieces of elastic beading cord, about 12″ long each. Line them up evenly and loosely tie together at the end. This is just temporary so that your pins don’t fall off the other end as you thread them on.

Thread one of the cords through the head of a pin, then the other cord through the bottom of the pin. To ad the second pin, reverse it, so that your pins alternate, top, bottom, top, bottom. Be sure that the beads are all on the same side as you work or you’ll end up taking a bunch of pins off and starting over (trust me on this ha ha!).

When you have enough pins to create your bracelet, remove the knot from the tied end. Bring the bracelet together to create a circle.

Tie the top cords together and the bottom cords together. Trim all but about two inches off the cords. Tuck remaining cord into the underside of the pins and add a little bit of glue. Let dry.

More you might like from me:
Make Tie Dye Wall Letters
Ladybug Baseball Hat
Decoupage Light Bulb Birds

More cool stuff from the interwebs:
Pony Bead Safety Pin Bracelet – from Making Friends
Making Beaded Safety Pins – from Family Crafts at About.com
Safety Pin Belt – from …love Maegan

47 Responses to Safety Pin Bracelet

malia says:

hi amanda– great craft idea… you are such a good mom to just dive in and make it happen for your daughter!

couture unraveled says:

very cute bracelet!! I have 2 girls that would love to make these! Thanks!

Erin says:

My daughter will LOVE this! Thanks for the tip on glueing the pins closed. I probably would have forgotten that step. Can't wait to make this!!!

Great idea! So cute! Found your blog from Metamorphosis Monday. I'm your newest follower!

Amanda

Linda@Coastal Charm says:

Amanda,
    Such a cute bracelet…thanks for sharing it!

Blessings,
    Linda

Wendy says:

Ha this totally takes me back…. we use to wear beaded safty pins on our shoelaces. :) Fun bracelet!

Jennifer Juniper says:

I'm with Wendy! I remember making these and calling them friendship bracelets – each bead color stood for something, but I can't remember what…

Chris says:

How fun. We used to make these when I was in elementary school. I'd almost forgotten them. Now I have a fun idea to do with my daughter. Thank you.

creativejewishmom/Sara says:

Hi Amanda, I've been wanting to make these for years! Maybe with your help I'll get to it…a great project for a group of girls! Thanks for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

AmieAnn says:

Om Gosh! It brings back memories of making pin and string bracelets that I had forgotten about! I'll have to share these with my daughter!

Threeundertwo says:

This is great, thanks for the tutorial! And thanks for linking up to Finished for Friday.

Thanks for all of your kind comments!

Nan says:

Love the idea, I can finally have a bracelet small enough for my wrist!!

Chica and Jo says:

I would so be bleeding by the end of this project! I can't even operate my glue gun without getting injured! What a cute bracelet.

...love Maegan says:

awe, this is adorable and so reminds me of when I was a kid. We all had em! …and thanks for the mention ;) Happy Weekend!

Thanks Nan!

Chica – LOL! I burn myself with my glue gun all the time too. Occupational hazard??

Thanks Maegan!

Anonymous says:

i like your bracelets (and reading ….books take me places)

Thank you! ;)

Anonymous says:

sweet and it is verey pretty but i do not have safety pins have any bracelets out have paper clips i can make

Serena@TentarNonNuoce says:

you know, i made i lot of these when i was a kid :) maybe i'll start doing some again :) i had almost completely forgotten about them and this post reminded me of them :)

i hadn't noticed you had a craft blog, very very nice, useful, interesting and well done :) i really love the tea bags for valentine's day that you posted a while ago

Sere

• 20.1
      Terri says:

this beaded braclet is a fantastic idea… could be used in nursing homes too for the more active elders there .. i had dont a braclet similar to this eons ago of the flag.. when getting ready for the 4th of July .. so yea there are many such holidays ppl could celebrate with using this fine idea in bead making .. enjoy ya’ll… cheers !

Anonymous says:

Thanks for the steps:)… YOU ROCK!!!

Natasha from Indiana says:

I use to make these all the time as a kid. They are a great project when you get grounded!

[...] particular project uses just the seam of the jeans. Here’s the instructions for the safety pin bracelet [...]

Sue McEndree says:

Amanda, Instead of using glue to secure the pins, I use a pair of needlenose pliars & pinch the ends of the pins together after I close them.

Vicki Hillhouse says:

Amanda,
    I just made my first safety pin bracelet! It was fun to make and turned out really cute. I teach middle school Home Economics and I am sure this will be a big hit with the kids! Thank you so much for sharing.

Aurora says:

Thank you for your information. You are the first one to say how you tie the ends of the cord. I couldn’t figure that out. A friend of mine was using the elastic 3/4″ wide material; putting the pins on that to make the bracelet. Thanks Aurora

vera .m says:

the pattern for denim braaelet w/ fringe & safety pins

Linda says:

That was realy cute I have been looking for safetypin crafts and yours was the first I found. My grandaughters will love then thanks so much. Linda

Sherry Hays says:

So glad I found this! My grandson saw them and wants to make one for his mom for Christmas. I made these as a girl, with my girl scouts when my daughter was young & now with grandkids! Thanks for making it easy!

[...] If you like the bracelets that are pictured, you can find the tutorials for those here – Recycled Denim Beaded Bracelets and Safety Pin Bracelet. [...]

[...] from me you might like:Cookie Monster and Elmo HatsSafety Pin BraceletWater Bottle OctopusPaper Plate Owl CraftClothespin Art [...]

Gail Plaskiewicz says:

I’m reading all this and I think I get it. I am making one for me right now. My wrist is 6 1/2 inches. I’m guessing this will fit once I get all the safety pins on. What I think I am trying to ask is what if someone has a 7″ wrist or 7 1/2 inch? How do you measure a wrist if you are making one for a gift? How big was this one, what sized wrist did it fit? How many safety pins are there? Is it comfortable to wear? I’m thinking I may need to buy some more for mine and for a bigger one. This is so cute and is a way to use my seed beads.

Gail Plaskiewicz says:

I still don’t know how many to use. I’ve heard people say 80, and then some say 100. They also said you might need more or less depending on the size of your wrist. How big was your daughters wrist and how many did you use? My wrist is 6 1/2 but I would also like to try 7 or 71/2 for gifts also. I don’t know how many I’ve already done but it’s not close to 80. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gail Plaskiewicz says:

I’ve also found out that the package of safety pins I bought are all not the same size! Now I probably won’t have enough! I bought them at the Dollar Store and they all looked the same size until I opened them up. I can’t wait until I get this done so I can see how it looks and if I should make anymore. I didn’t know they came in different sizes in a package. Who knew I would have so much trouble on a kids bracelet? LOL

Dawn roll says:

I like to make some thing new and i love crafts to

[…] Safety Pin Bracelet // Crafts by Amanda – 2. Safety Pin Bracelet // honey Bear […]

[…] Safety Pin Bracelet from Crafts by Amanda […]