Big Paper Bag Luminaries

One day while surfing around I found some awesome looking luminaries on grandinroad’s website. They are no longer available for sale, but when they were they were $99.00! Ouch. I wanted to see if I could make something similar using my Silhouette machine and good ole paper grocery bags.

My inspiration: from grandinroad

They came out pretty cool I think.

The only thing that honked me off was the seam line that goes up the center of the bag. When the light is on inside the bag you can see the seam, ugh. You’re probably thinking “Duh, why didn’t you use the front of the bag where there’s no seam?” Well, because the grocery store logo was plastered all over the front :-P

The other issue I had was that it was hard to find anything bright enough to actually illuminate these bags! Who know grocery bags would be so impenetrable! I ended up going to Home Depot and buying four of these bad boys ($7 each):

I found some cool Halloween fonts that look like blood, though I couldn’t find the one that grandinroad used. I printed them on black vinyl and stuck them to the bags.

Then I measured where I wanted my fonts to be and marked with a pencil.

After applying the vinyl to the bags, I used antiquing gel to stain the outer edges of the bags.

Using a rag to wipe off the excess and smear it around a bit.

Then I mixed some black paint in with the stain…

Then blotted it on with a rag, darkening some of the edges.

Then they were done!

After putting the lights in, I did fold down the tops of the bags to keep as much light inside as possible.

Comments

1. allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com says

totally awesome! love how some simple and affordable supplies can make such a fabulous project!

2. ♥Fran♥ says

WOW…pretty cool ur blog,tHE halloween hand print Ghoul Banner and the Jack O'Lantern TV
    are just awesome,love it!Gongratz!

3. brandy-son Zen master flash says

Those are super cool! I mean it. I am going to have to make them when I have a house some day! I found you via Be Different Act Normal and will def be following.

4. [email protected] says

They came out super cool! And I love how easy they are. Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

5. Lorie says

So cute (as always!) I am having a fun time trying to guess which project on CWTS is yours! I can't wait to see if I am right! ;D

6. Its So Very Cheri says

What a darling project.

I would love to have you enter this on my party at ItsSoVeryCheri.com and then over at our other site theDIYClub.com We have a weekly DIY Living party over there.

Cheri

7. Kristin @ Daydream Designs says

I LOVE this idea! I was going to make some luminaries for our Halloween party next weekend and I just found my inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

8. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says

Amanda, These are super cool! Love them glowing. I'll be adding this idea to next years list – TFS! I'll be featuring this today – stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

9. Patty says

10. Laura says

How cute!

This week is my blog anniversary and I'm hosting a week's worth of great giveaways. Feel free to stop by if you'd like!

11. creativejewishmom/sara says

great project as always, and thanks so very much for being a regular on Craft schooling Sunday, I really appreciate it and look forward to seeing what you've been up to! all the best and have a great Halloween….then I guess we'll be seeing a whole lot of turkeys and Indians from you?

12. Sew says

OMG! These are amazing! Please make sure you stop by SewWoodsy.blogspot.com to link these up & enter in a chance to win some spray blood!!!

13. Cierra Larsen says

14. laurie says

I saw those too and thought about making them, I think you did a much better job than I would have and now I plan to copy you next year! Thanks!

15. Crystal Hayward says

I’m not sure if they are still made but use to the large grocery bags were 2 plly and you could take the inside one out and it had no writing on it.

16. Anna Etemadi says

Great job! I liked grandin roads too. How about plain white or orange gift bags from the dollar store? Might take some hunting for the colors but hopefully no seams.