Halloween is a fun time of year time to start decorating for fall and making your own homemade Halloween decorations. When choosing your DIY project you can make something cutesy or a little scary, so there’s a variety of both types included below. Here are 28 ways to make your own Halloween decorations at home, plus a bonus printable at the end!
Hi there! I’m Courtney from Crafts by Courtney and I’m so excited to share some of my favorite homemade Halloween decor ideas with you today. We have “pumpkins, mummies and ghosts, oh my” in this collection of fun ways to make your own Halloween decorations.
Homemade Halloween Decorations for Adults
This collection of projects is geared more to adult crafting, though there are several listed that could double as kid’s crafts. Some projects, such as the Halloween Spiders and Creepy Luminaries are perfect for kids, but adults will find they make great decorations for Halloween parties and the porch or mantel. So, if you’re looking for some creative adult crafts to make for Halloween, this is a great place to start.
- Mummy Halloween Luminaries – adorable and also a kid friendly craft from Crafts by Courtney
- Spooky Halloween Tree – this project uses a stencil making it really easy – from Crafts by Amanda
- Halloween Spiders that grown ups and kids can make together – from One Good Thing by Jillee
- Vintage Folk Art Pumpkins – a classic Halloween decoration from Craftberry Bush
- Wicked Painted Candles – a gorgeous adult craft from Madigan Made
- Halloween Straw Wreath – easy to make and mesmerizing to look at – from Tatertots & Jello
- Bats Flying Across Pumpkin – a simple project with wow factor – from It All Started with Paint
- Painted Candy Corn Bottles – a great way to recycle empty bottles – from Practically Functional
- Halloween Cupcake Liner Wreath – an easy to make project you’ll love from Crafts by Courtney
- Halloween Hayride Sign – dress up your Halloween mantel or porch – from Polished Habitat
- Halloween Character Candle – this craft is an easy group project – from The Crafting Chicks
- Colorful Skull Luminaries – uses homemade stencils from contact paper – from Crafts by Amanda
- Spooky Crystal Balls – a spooky way to decorate your home for Halloween – from Flamingo Toes
- Spider Mason Jars – a cute project for adults and older kids – from Mason Jar Love
- Polka Dot Witch Hat – this witch’s hat makes a great centerpiece – from Craftaholics Anonymous
- Vintage Halloween Sign – a retro way to show your Halloween spirit – from Crafts by Courtney
- Wood Slice Pumpkins – thinking outside the box with this one – from The 36th Avenue
- Mason Jar Ghost Lantern – these darling ghosts are so easy to make – from Simply Kierste
- Barbie Zombies – Walking Dead fans will love these DIY “walkers” – from Crafts by Amanda
- Halloween Marquee Sign – a unique way to dress up your porch for Halloween – from Lolly Jane
- Felt Witch Hat – another cute centerpiece idea for Halloween – from Crafty Cupboard
- Creepy Hand Luminaries – have party guests make one at the door – from Crafts by Amanda
- Mummy Mason Jars – rubber bands are the trick to these adorable jars – from It all Started Paint
- Boo Halloween Sign – what a cute way to decorate for Halloween – from One Krieger Chick
- Rustic Halloween Sign – show your country side with this simple design – from Clean & Scentsible
- Glow in the Dark Pumpkins – true wow factor for Halloween here – from ILoveToCreate Blog
- Halloween Jar Luminaries – Halloween luminaries for lining your sidewalk – from Crafts by Amanda
- Halloween Craft Pumpkin Witch Hat – decorative idea for your Halloween porch – from Tidy Mom
- Glowing Jack O’ Lantern Jars – Glow in the dark projects are always a big hit, and these adorable Jack O’ Lantern Jars are no exception!
- Paper Halloween Luminaries – Halloween decor doesn’t need to be hard to make, and the kids would love to join in on the fun!
BONUS – If you don’t have time to make your own homemade Halloween decorations then a Halloween printable is your next best option. Print it out and use a cool decorative frame or clipboard to display it.
I hope you found some great inspiration here with this fun collection of homemade Halloween decorations! I loved searching Pinterest for all these amazing ideas and can’t wait to make a couple of these myself.
Do you like to decorate cutesy for Halloween or scary?
I’m a mom of three little boys so I like to go a little cutesy with my Halloween crafts and the boys love to help out.
If you guys want to get even more crafting inspiration, be sure and sign up for my newsletter! It’s the best of what I make.
This was originally published on October 13, 2015.