Colorful Kitchen Experiment for Kids

Your kids are going to love this! This is so fun and all you need is some milk, dish soap and liquid food coloring. Watch the video to see how it’s done, then grab a bowl, an audience of little eyeballs and your magic hat, and prepare to dazzle the kiddies.

EDITED 3/9/11 – I’ve added another video that shows how to create an awesome star. This is perfect for little kids as they don’t have to drop the dish soap in, they use a cotton swab instead. I’ve also added some more pictures showing the effects on the star as you use the cotton swab in different areas.

Let me start off by giving some credit where credit is due. I certainly didn’t think of this brilliant, yet simple science project. A friend of mine, Chef Ryan, sent me a link to a You Tube video with these fun instructions. If you want to know HOW this works, please go to the You Tube video link above. I won’t pretend to know how to explain it. :)

VIDEO NOTES: pardon the long shot of the plain milk in the bowl while I explain what’s happening. Other than that I think we did ok! No barking dogs, I turned off the TV, and no phones ringing. Woo hoo!

Below are just a couple more cool still shots of the experiment :) The last one where it’s starting to look army green is when all the colors are finally starting to blend together.

The next video shows how to make this awesome star. Below the video are several still shots of after effects. Enjoy!

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only crafts but recipes from my other blog, Amanda’s Cookin’ as well!

30 Responses to Colorful Kitchen Experiment for Kids

Denise * KKL Primitives says:

How pretty ! I can see my grand kids loving this! Thanks for sharing Amanda!

Deeba PAB says:

This is real fun. My lad found something like this on you tube & we had a great time looking at him do it!

Kat says:

Awesome doesn't begin to describe this. I don't even have kids and I may try this and make it just to see it react and change colors.

Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma says:

what a great rainy day project with my rugrats! bookmarking this! thanks for sharing, amanda!

RedTedArt says:

Oh my, that looks WONDERFUL and fun and so pretty! Love love love!!!

Maggy
    PS thank you for linking up Kids Get Crafty!

Michelle says:

Oh this is fun. What a fun St Patrick's Day craft too with the rainbow effect.

Rachel Harwood says:

SOOO much fun! I'd love for you to join my For the Kids Fridays link party!!

:)rachel at SunScholars.blogspot.com

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

This is so awesome. I'm off to try it right now!

Tammy says:

That is so cool!

Anonymous says:

Oh WOW! Can you put paper on top to get a print?

@Anon – That's an interesting idea! I don't think it would work though, I'm thinking it would just blue together. You could certainly try it though. Let me know if it works!

MessyMissy says:

I love this. I used it before at the craft time I host at my local library….it is *always* a success!! I would love it if you would link this up to my Marvelous Mess party. I will picking one project to feature on my sidebar for a week!! Here is the link: http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/03/marvelous-mess-3.html

Miz Helen says:

Hi Amanda,
    What great fun! Your post is very informative and a great project for the little ones. Thank you for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Josh and Melinda says:

NEAT!! Kid at heart, and going to go play with the kids! I'm thinking some white tissue paper or onion skin to lay on top and 'capture' their pattern!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree says:

Beautiful! Every child would love this!

Anonymous says:

love love love all your fun stuff! thank you for posting all these ideas and crafts!!

KimberlyShavatt says:

That is a really cool trick. I can't wait to show my kids. Thanks!!!

Emily says:

That is actually really cool! I've never seen that one before. Going to do it with my kids tomorrow!

Anonymous says:

WOW!!, did'nt have food coloring, sent Hubby running (ha, he drove) to store & all they had was gel, did'nt work, sent him to few more place's & only gel, geez! wuwt!!, so, could'nt do it, but, Granddaughter used it to finger paint, she was happy, will look on-line for Regular food coloring. Can't wait to try this look's like so much fun.. TY Jackie Theisen

Thanks everyone, so fun!

Jackie – I'm surprised you couldn't find liquid food coloring, it should be by the spices, herbs and extracts. :) Of course, assuming you are in the U.S.!

Anonymous says:

You are so talented!! I have been browsing through you site and you are truely gifted!! I love all the ideas and crafts!! I will definately be subscribing to you!!!
    ps I love this milk and food dye idea! cant wait to share it with my kids!!!

Sabina says:

Try adding HAND SANITIZER!!! Woah, that is funky! We tried it w/ the milk first and then experimented further with the hand sanitizer. It was cool to see the different reactions!

surferboy690 says:

Thanks for the great site. I need some help with reproducing the star. No matter what variation I try, I only get results like the first set of images. Nothing even closely resembling the star. I’ve tried cold/warm milk, more/less milk, more/less soap, more/less food coloring.

Can you suggest any more details to try to produce the star? Is the heavy cream vs milk the key? Thanks!

[...] learned this from Household Hacker’s Scientific Tuesday and Crafts by Amanda who first published this on her blog. Both are great resources to watch the experiment in action [...]

I love this project! I posted it mon my website, you can see the page here: http://www.lescreateliers.com/Les_Createliers/Idees_Ideas/Entries/2012/11/1_Effet_marbreMarbled_effect.html
    Cheers!
    Marie-Eve

Lisa says:

When I saw the first video, I was excited! My kids aren’t due home for another hour and a half, but I was getting the bowl out and the food coloring. Then I watched the second video where you used the qtip to create a star and I was like a little kid, sitting here going, “Whoooooa, Coool!” Thank you for the fun idea, can’t wait to hear my kids…

Leah says:

I did this with my 2 great grandsons and they absolutely loved it. They want to do it all the time now but can’t understand why we can’t save it. We ran out of the liquid food coloring, and like someone else posted, I can not find it. I usually shop at Krogers or Wal-Mart and both of them only had the gel ! I will keep looking tho.
    Thanks for sharing !