Cardboard Tube Coiled Snakes

Cardboard Tube Coiled Snakes

Sometimes things just hit me. Take these cardboard snakes as an example. I’m not sure why, but all of a sudden my mind said “Hey, I think a cardboard tube cut into a coil would make a really adorable snake craft!” It’s probably no surprise since I really do love turning cardboard tubes into something with character. So I hit the craft room, found a few tubes and some colorful paint, and today we have cute little colorful snakes made from toilet paper rolls.

Cardboard Tube Coiled SnakesYou can use any colors you like. I chose bright colors for these just for the fun of it. Paint the inside and outside of the cardboard tubes. You might need a second coat, just depends on the brand of paint you use and the color.

Cardboard Tube Coiled SnakesCut the tubes into coils, but if your cardboard is still a little damp it might not hold it’s round shape while you cut. Don’t panic! I’ve got you covered. :) Take a tube from wrapping paper, or something similar, and wrap the cut cardboard around the tube loosely. Use the handle end of a paintbrush to add polka dots with a contrasting color of paint. LET DRY. Flip over on the other side and finish your polka dots.

Cardboard Tube Coiled SnakesRemove from tube and wrap the painted cardboard in coil fashion around your fingers. Here’s where you can play with it a bit and position it the way you want to. Paint the end with red and let it dry. Meanwhile, glue on googly eyes, I find it easiest to add the glue with a toothpick since they are small.

Cardboard Tube Coiled SnakesNow that the red paint is dry, use some small scissors to snip the red end into a forked tongue. An easier option, if your kids are smaller, is to cut a forked tongue from red construction paper, snip the end of the cardboard to cut off the point, and glue that paper tongue in place instead.

When the tubes are completely dry they are a lot easier to manipulate and shape. Stretch them out for a coiled snake on the ground, or coil them up with their head popping out!

Cardboard Tube Coiled SnakesHave fun!

Cardboard Tube Coiled Snakes
Author: Amanda Formaro
Ingredients
  • 3 cardboard tubes
  • tube from wrapping paper or similar tubular item
  • 6 googly eyes
  • Toothpick
  • White craft glue
  • Scissors
  • Acrylic craft paint in colors of your choice
Instructions
  1. Paint the inside and outside of the cardboard tubes. Apply second coat if needed.
  2. Cut the tubes into coils, but if your cardboard is still a little damp it might not hold it’s round shape. Using a tube from wrapping paper, or something similar, and wrap the cut cardboard around the tube loosely. Use the handle end of a paintbrush to add polka dots with a contrasting color of paint. Let dry completely then flip over on the other side and finish your polka dots.
  3. Remove from tube and wrap the painted cardboard in coil fashion around your fingers. Place coiled cardboard on table. Paint the end with red and let it dry. Meanwhile, glue on goggly eyes, adding the glue with a toothpick since they are small.
  4. Now that the red paint is dry, use some small scissors to snip the red end into a forked tongue. An easier option, if your kids are smaller, is to cut a forked tongue from red construction paper, snip the end of the card board to cut off the point, and glue that paper tongue in place instead.

Cardboard Tube Coiled Snakes

48 Responses to Cardboard Tube Coiled Snakes

Cute craft and fun to do! Great craft for the Bible story Adam & Eve. :)

Katrina says:

Well, you got me with snakes. I NEVER would have guessed snakes. And I wouldn’t have thought maybe you were going to cut the tubes. ;)

They are the snakiest cute snakes I have ever seen…. My kids will love to make some of them to put in the garden :) Thanks!!!

Terri says:

These are so cute! My girls and I are big fans of cardboard tube crafts. This is definitely going on the list of craft projects we want to do!

Karen Howard says:

These are so cute-you could even wrap them around your wrist & wear as a bracelet! Adorable!

[...] yine de Crafts by Amanda‘yı ziyaret edin ve yapılışını resimlerle görün. Sanırım  bu şekilde daha [...]

Debbie says:

dumb question…how did you paint the inside of the tube?

They are adorable! Have to try this!

[...] las instrucciones en craftsbyamanda CATEGORIAS: MANUALIDADES CON [...]

Jennifer Green says:

I just love these! I was searching for a snake craft for my Sunday School class for the story about Moses and the rebellious Israelites in the wilderness when God sent fiery serpents among the people and many of them died. The Israelites cried out to God to forgive them and God told Moses to make a serpent of brass and put it on a stick and lift it up. All the people had to do was look at it and they would be saved. Kind of a rough story for kids so I was looking for something cute. This is perfect! Thanks for the great idea!

What a fun craft, Amanda! My boys will love this!

Thank you so much for sharing such a cute craft! I tried this with my 2nd grade 21st Century Summer School students today, during Arts & Crafts. They totally loved it! The K/1st graders were looking at the snakes and can’t wait until they make it tomorrow! Such a winning craft with our school! Keep posting the great ideas! :-)

Shirley says:

CUTE! My boys are going to love doing this, thank you!

Ali says:

Oh my goodness, they are so good. My girls are going to love making them and playing with them.

Mo says:

Ingenius! We’re definitely going to make these at my preschool!

Amandalishous says:

We are so doing this for Chinese New Year, this is the year of the snake….thinking reds and golds with glitter!!!

Loved this project! I featured it on my website for the Chinese New Year, here’s the link: http://www.lescreateliers.com/Les_Createliers/Idees_Ideas/Entries/2013/2/10_Annee_du_serpentYear_of_the_snake.html
    Cheers!
    Marie-Eve

Alejandra Gonzalez says:

Hi I am from Costa Rica, I love your crafts!

jet says:

cute. I think when you use old plastic containers and cut them like you did in a coil then you will have outside garden/balcony snakes.XD
    like this, thank you for the tute and the sharing;XD

Anna says:

Very Very great idea! Thank you! I started to collect ideas using tissue paper rolls and your’s one of the best

Pegge Fleener says:

My friends and I made 40 of these and took them to a nursing home. The residents loved them.

Rebecca R. says:

So I really want to make these for my childcare kids, but I definitely don’t have access to 40 something toilet paper rolls. Any other way or material I could use instead?
    Thanks!

[...] i’m going to start working on my princess peg dolls…but i had to show hers cause they are just so darn cute!crafts by amanda [...]

pat says:

great idea. thinking of having a snake painting party. thanks!

Sweets says:

I’ll be honest, I really do not like snakes. BUT! These are so cute. we may just have to make a few. Thanks

[…] 39. Cardboard tube coiled snakes […]

Hola! Me encanta tu blog! He enlazado esta idea en mi blog, para poder compartirla con mis seguidores. Espero que te guste mi blog! http://www.encasaconmama.blogspot.com Y si prefieres que quite el enlace me avisas. Gracias!! Saludos desde Argentina!

Daulva says:

Simple yet creative. The kids will enjoy doing this.