A Watering Can That Pours Crystals

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

My neighbor and good friend, Debra, made this wonderful garden decoration from an old watering can and chandelier crystals. The light from the sun reflects off of the crystals, making it shine brilliantly. The stream of crystals look like they are pouring out of the watering can’s spout using little more than some wire and a bead to secure them.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

I’ll explain how to make something like this yourself down below.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

When I shared a photo of this watering can project on Instagram last night, I had no idea what was going to follow. I went to my Facebook page and shared the instagram photo there.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

What resulted was almost 700 likes and over 200 shares! Crazy! So, since it was obviously quite popular, I stopped by Debra’s today to get some better pictures and tell you how you can make your own as well.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Debra and I live literally right around the corner from each other. In fact, before we even met I had been to her garage sales and passed by her house probably a gazillion times. Then one day she introduced herself to me saying that she “met” me through this blog. Oddly enough, I didn’t think anyone in my sleepy little town even knew what a blog was, let alone followed one.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

That was a little over a year ago and since then Debra and I have become good friends. We share creative tips and bounce crafty ideas off each other all the time. I’m so glad that she came to my door that day!

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Debra lives in a cute little farm house with a great big barn in her side yard. In fact, I’ve salvaged some things from that barn, including these Distressed Shutters. In fact, in that post you’ll see a few pictures of Debra’s barn and property.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

If you want to see even more, I have a small photo album of Debra’s barn on Facebook.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Debra has a lovely garden. It’s obviously fall here in southeast Wisconsin so all the brightly colored flowers have gone to sleep for the year, but the set up is full of whimsical goodies that I’ll show you here.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Much of what you’ll find in Debra’s yard was salvaged from the side of the road or picked up for pennies at a garage sale. Her garden path is lined with blue bottles that have been turned upside down and pushed into the earth.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

One of my favorite parts of her garden are these chippy herb pots. She found three of them stacked together in a garbage can.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

I love how she expressed it… she said that the previous owner probably said “Ewww the paint’s all chipping off..” (read that in a disappointed voice).

Debra’s reaction (read this with an excited voice) “Oooo! The paint’s all chipping off!!” :)

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

This pretty little garden gem was made from a glass flower frog, some colorful beads, wire and bunch of rusty keys.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Over by the barn there’s a broken old chair covered with vines, and sitting on that chair is this whimsical crow made from metal and an old shovel.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Hanging nearby are more crystals, this time they’re dripping from a small metal jello mold pan.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Another ornament is this hanging sphere made from two round plant hangers glued together.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

One of my favorite parts of the garden are these adorable toadstools. Maybe I should donate my fairy house to this scene!

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Around the corner from the toadstools is this great big wind chime made with more beads.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Debra even spruced up this old rusty water handle by adding gems and beads on wire.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Debra and I have similar tastes when it comes to rusty goodness!

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

She has crystal goodness all over her garden and says “I am a lover of all things shiny!”

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

As you’re leaving Debra’s driveway, this metal man made from old pipes waves to say goodbye!

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

To make the watering can

First, Debra removed the rim from the spout. Work slowly as it may be tight depending on the age of your can.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

As you can see from the close up, she strung crystals onto a piece of wire and threads the ends into the spout holes. From the inside of the spout, run a bead (any kind of bead as it won’t be visible) onto the wire and twist and wrap to hold the wire inside the spout. Then simply reattach the rim of the spout head to the can by crimping the edges with pliers.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Debra found her can at a garage sale for $1.00 and the crystals were given to her by a friend.

A Watering Can That Pours Crystals @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Pretty awesome stuff. Debra’s pretty awesome too :)

More stuff you might like:

flower-basket-chandelier-feature1

My friend Pauline shows you how to repurpose a planter into a fun chandelier!

paisley-painted-stones5

Another thing I wanted to share with you are these paisley painted garden stones from my friend Suzy’s website. Aren’t they beautiful? :) If you want to give them a go, she’ll show you how!

53 Responses to A Watering Can That Pours Crystals

Kathy Gledsdale says:

What an amazing garden, I love the watering can and the crow is great! Thanks for sharing it.

Jean says:

Love the watering can, I want to make one – just need a metal can and crystals!!
    Thanks for the idea

Kelley says:

What a great idea!! Its so fun and goes perfectly in your amazing garden! I love it all!

Stopping by from Tatertots and Jello :)

Morgaine says:

That watering can with the crystals is so adorable! From far away it looks like real water! Awesome!
    (new follower here)
    Morgaine @ Madcap Frenzy

Faby says:

Splendid !!! I love your garden, thank you for ideas ♥♥♥

That would look so cute in our flower bed! Pinning now!

Judy White says:

Love the watering can!! I used to be so creative in my younger days.I am 62 now and get excited when I see the younger women appreciating artistic things, recycled things.I will make my own watering can with crystals soon!Thanks for sharing.

Paula Gale says:

Hi Amanda

I came upon your fabulous watering can with crystals when I did a search for decorated watering cans on Pinterest. One would think it to be a somewhat limited area for results – but it didn’t matter what else came up once I saw this. I’m now thinking of making a board just for garden ideas I have a tiny garden – but little crafts could make it look so good.

This is just genius – thanks for adding a Pinterest button so that I could put this on my altered crafts board!!! Love it.

Paula x x x

anita says:

will do this- have everything just laying around! Idea – use a mirror for the water- place under hanging water-maybe in a birdbath type holder.

Marilyn says:

I LOVE the crystals.. what a great idea cans hanging ..I Have many watering hanging around my yard. But my favorite one is the large one I fill everytime I water and it flows into the birdbath. I shall be on the lookout for crystals to make one of those. thank you so much

Lynn says:

Where did you find the crystals? This is awesome.

Finally found a watering can on our city’s yard sale FB page. I’m so excited to make this!

Linda says:

Love the water can. Now I’m on to finding the “how to”! Thanks for sharing!

Love everything … especially the watering can! I’m now hoping that the hubby didn’t throw away the watering can that I told him to throw away :)

kathy bazzi says:

Do you have instructions for this watering can. How did you attach the crystals to the holes of the can?

Sandy Tillotson says:

We loved the watering can so much we ran out today and bought a can and some crystals and are going to attempt to duplicate it. Already had the hook.

casper says:

Simply love the watering can idea,it is amazing…I have all the items needed.We were snowed in from January 13th..til last week,and I had run out of things to make.This will be gorgeous placed above our small waterfall going into our fishpond!!Thinking to suspend the can from a sturdy tree branch,and perhaps glue some of my crystals on the rocks down into the pond.(it’s a small fish pond)hoping the water flowing over the crystals hit by the sun will form small rainbows across the pond.Will let you know if it works!

[…] Herb Garden Sign: Toads Welcome 2. A Watering Can That Pours Crystals 3. Make a Fairy House 4. Birdy Flower Markers for Your […]

Janet Young says:

Love it. How did she secure the wire with crystals to the can?

[…] A Watering Can That Pours Crystals – Crafts by Amanda […]

Janette says:

Love your water can with gems. Can’t resist to make one for my backyard. So I did garden water can project. Almost same as your. I don’t know where and how I post up my photos to share with you. Thank you for great idea!

Nita says:

;) The watering can is darling! We have a big plastic green one we never use… That may do just fine! And when Anita mentioned a mirror, like in a bird bath, I instantly thought — Oh Yes! But – why a mirror?? Why not real water in the birdbath, with the watering can and crystals above it! Then almost immediately, I found Marilyn’s comments, with similar thinking! Haha!! Great minds think alike! ;) ;) … Now I’m thinking this would be beautiful at the east corner of our covered Courtyard – where it gets morning sun! Wanting to see those crystals sparkling!! Thanks for the good ideas… ;)

[…] a wonderful idea for an old watering can! This idea comes from Crafts By Amanda and we think it is simple and […]

Tina says:

I love the toad stools.. How did she make those. They would look great in my “Faerie” garden that I am making.

[…] She has an amazing outdoor wonderland of plants and garden ornaments. You probably remember her watering can that pours crystals! You can also see a variety of her other garden ornaments on that post as […]